Weird Brake Issue - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Weird Brake Issue

Hey Guys,

I just bought my 2009 Pontiac GXP (new) December 31st, really enjoying it. There is this weird thing going on with the brake pedal however. Ever since I had it, whenever I brake I feel clicking noises (don't hear the clicking, but rather feel it) while pushing down on the pedal. This only occurs when going at lower speeds, I do not feel pulsing (therefore shouldn't be a rotor issue). While going at higher speeds, (around 30 mph or higher) and braking it does not do it. Also, if I push the pedal down far enough I hear a rubbing noise coming from somewhere around the brake pedal (can also feel it rubbing). I figured it could just be the brakes wearing in when I bought it, etc but it is still doing it. My girlfriend's sister bought a G6 GT the day before me, and I just drove it today and it does not do either of these things. Anyone else have a similar problem to this and know what needs to be done to fix these issues. I don't see the rubbing being related to the clicking feeling that I feel while pressing down on the brake pedal going at low speeds.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:58 AM

I think there is a TSB for that. I though someone on this forum had already created a thread for this problem but mine does the same thing. Im going to make an appoinment on monday for it. I think the fix is that (don't quote me on it) they have to replace the master cylinder. Anyone here feel free to correct me if im wrong

2008 Pontiac Sedan - 3.5 V6

Mods so far:
Sylvania Silverstars, Custom Air Intake with Heat shield , 17' Salsa Rims from FastWheels.ca, Lower Grille Chrome Accents, Windows Visors, Hood Deflector, Debadged, Silver Overlays, Eyelids, Recessed Upper Grille, Tinted Tails, GM Strut Bar

Coming Soon - In Order:
Racingline MMI
Racingline Grounding Kit

Updated: 02/22/2011

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6-Lover View Post
I think there is a TSB for that. I though someone on this forum had already created a thread for this problem but mine does the same thing. Im going to make an appoinment on monday for it. I think the fix is that (don't quote me on it) they have to replace the master cylinder. Anyone here feel free to correct me if im wrong
Yeah saw a TSB about that. But I thought the GXP had a different brake system. I thought the TSB was for the standard G6's? Are these two problems related (the clicking feeling as I press on the pedal and the rubbing noise I hear and feel after pressing the brake down more than 2/3 of the way)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeGXPmd View Post
Yeah saw a TSB about that. But I thought the GXP had a different brake system. I thought the TSB was for the standard G6's? Are these two problems related (the clicking feeling as I press on the pedal and the rubbing noise I hear and feel after pressing the brake down more than 2/3 of the way)?
Yeah mine does the same thing, I push it farther than 2/3 of that way it makes a rubbing noise but before that makes like a clicking/rubbing sound

I'm making an appointment at the dealership today.

2008 Pontiac Sedan - 3.5 V6

Mods so far:
Sylvania Silverstars, Custom Air Intake with Heat shield , 17' Salsa Rims from FastWheels.ca, Lower Grille Chrome Accents, Windows Visors, Hood Deflector, Debadged, Silver Overlays, Eyelids, Recessed Upper Grille, Tinted Tails, GM Strut Bar

Coming Soon - In Order:
Racingline MMI
Racingline Grounding Kit

Updated: 02/22/2011

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. It's more of a feeling than a sound prior to 2/3 of the way down. Please let me know what they do when they service your car and if it fixed it (Just bought it and don't want them pulling the entire thing apart lol)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 AM

i had the TSB fixed on my 08 back in october. on mine they had to flush the brake system with a new "re-vamped" fluid.

i'm not sure if the 09s have the same problem or not.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I have looked all over the web and have not really found "too much" information about the brake pedal issue. You would think that since this is a issue with the brakes that it would be taken pretty seriously by GM considering what's going on with Toyota and Ford (whom quickly announced a TSB on their fusion hybrids). I feel/hear all this rubbing and it honestly scares me that the brake pedal is going to end up sticking after I press it down.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 PM

odd brake noise

I brought my 2009 G6 to the dealer today for the odd brake noise sort of a rubber on rubber squeak. It does not seem to affect the braking ability. They told me it needed a special brake fluid and they placed it on order. Shounds like what others on the forum a saying. Will let you know when they change the fluid.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM

my gtp does something like this, not very bad, and it seems like its not really a big deal, does not affect braking i dont believe

Last edited by wildkyle90; 03-30-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: wrong wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in