How accurate is the DIC tire pressure reading? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

How accurate is the DIC tire pressure reading?

My '09 G6 GT DIC says my pressures are 28 lbs, but my hand gauge says they are 32-33 lbs. Using the hand gauge, my '96 Grand Prix went 126K mi on the original RS-A tires, recommended pressure of 30 lbs, so I thought it was pretty accurate. Would a 4-5 lb difference effect traction or wear?

Is there any specific brand tire gauge that is known to be very accurate? My hand gauge is just a standard chrome pen-like one from Wal Mart.

No, the above is not a misprint, the OE tires on my Grand Prix went 126,000 mi, and were replaced 10 years and 1 month after I bought the car. They were close, but not entirely down to the wear bars.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:29 PM

The DIC is usually relatively accurate. It shouldn't be off more than about 4 psi. Problem with the stick gauges are that they aren't that accurate either. Get a digital one with calibration and fill your tires based on that. For what you need the DIC is probably good enough for monitoring. Fill to about 32 cold and you should be good to go. Mine goes from about 33 cold to 37 hot. I'd say as long as it doesn't drop too low your tires are fine. Mine keep their pressure pretty well.

2008 G6 Dark Gray Metallic SE V6
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM

My readings seem to be accurate as well, or so the dealership said the other day when I had to take the car in to get a pretty big bolt removed from one of the rear tires. I havent had any problems with the readings, other than when it read 9 (because of the suprise bolt found in the tire) & I freaked! Its winter & I have kept mine in the low-mid 30's, so apparently thats the way to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:16 PM

If tire gauges were a GPS those pen gauges are good enough to get you in the neighborhood, the TPMS will get you on the right block, and most digital tire gauges will get you in front of the house. I have used two Pen Gauges on the same tire getting two readings, then gone back with the two different digital gauges. The pen gauges were 6 PSI apart, one was 1 below the Digitals, which agreed, and the other pen gauge was 5 over. Plus digital gauges are about $10 at your favorite AUTO parts selling ZONE.

We are the knights of the round table, we dance when we are able.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 11:34 PM

Or check out Amazon. There are a bunch around $10.

2008 G6 Dark Gray Metallic SE V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in