Oil Change - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Oil Change

Hi,

I just wanted to know my G6 is at 8000 km already and the Oil change light still hasn't come on and I'm at forty something percent for the oil life should I get a oil change now? The manual says you should get a oil change once the light has come on but the light still hasn't come on yet! Should I be concern about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:34 PM

I believe the oil light comes on once you go under 10% oil life left. However, oil changes are required at least once a year as stated in the owner's manual.

Mike
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 06:01 PM

Just wait until the system tells you to change it...no hurry.

Shortest interval I've gotten is 7500 miles (about 12,000km), longest is almost 9000 (about 14,500km).

Oil doesn't look or smell any worse than the stuff I drain from my other vehicles at shorter intervals.

But like GTPGuy82 says - no matter the distance, they still only give it a one year (about 365 days ) lifespan in the book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otcpharm
Just wait until the system tells you to change it...no hurry.

Shortest interval I've gotten is 7500 miles (about 12,000km), longest is almost 9000 (about 14,500km).

Oil doesn't look or smell any worse than the stuff I drain from my other vehicles at shorter intervals.

But like GTPGuy82 says - no matter the distance, they still only give it a one year (about 365 days ) lifespan in the book.
Im at 2700 miles on my last change and the oil life system is at 30% already.
Ive never seen it get that low before with only 2700 miles on the oil.
I always change it every 3000 miles regardless since it only costs me $8.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:37 PM

I just had my oil changed at about 4000 (after an intial 600 mile change). I think the oil life was at like 48%. I get every other change free from the dealer (it really means every 6 months, 3750 miles, within 2 months and 1,000 miles).

Man, 2700 miles and 30 percent. That's crazy.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius
I just had my oil changed at about 4000 (after an intial 600 mile change). I think the oil life was at like 48%. I get every other change free from the dealer (it really means every 6 months, 3750 miles, within 2 months and 1,000 miles).

Man, 2700 miles and 30 percent. That's crazy.
yeah, usually its between 45-55% with 3000 miles on the oil.
I can't believe I'm going to have 15,000 miles on the car by this saturday and its only 8 months old
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:36 PM

It depends on temperature, and several other factors, not just distance.

I have around 3500kms and it's showing 34% already.

I'll get it changed sooner anyways, since my first one is free and to flush out engine trash.

2006 G6 SE V6 Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic
General Motors - A pension fund run by spineless beancounting fools who just happens to be building cars on the side.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani
It depends on temperature, and several other factors, not just distance.

I have around 3500kms and it's showing 34% already.

I'll get it changed sooner anyways, since my first one is free and to flush out engine trash.
yeah i realize that but i drive far enough to burn off any moisture that would normally build up in the oil from driving short distances in the winter.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:25 PM

update: its down to 28% already with 2930 miles on it.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 06:08 AM

Watch that radio computor !

You have to be aware of this computor. When you play around with the radio, it's easy to reset the oil warning to zero.

On Grand Am, the procedure to reset the monitor to zero could'nt happen accidently. It was much more complicated.

This radio warning is not as safe. If you accidently reset to zero, than you loose all the real data.

Best thing is to follow instructions in the owners book. Weather, type of driving are important factors, so the old formula is still the best for me. 5,000 miles at all time. Than GM would'nt be able to back off from it's warrenties.

It's up to you, but I still do what I did for the last 30 years. 5,000 miles all the time....
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 06:01 PM

You can only reset it back to 100%, not 0. I really don't see how you could accidentally do that either. Heck, I was trying to reset it and I couldn't do it at first (pushing the wrong button).

I think everyone realizes though that it is just a guide and not an actual gauge.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette79
You have to be aware of this computor. When you play around with the radio, it's easy to reset the oil warning to zero.

On Grand Am, the procedure to reset the monitor to zero could'nt happen accidently. It was much more complicated.

This radio warning is not as safe. If you accidently reset to zero, than you loose all the real data.

Best thing is to follow instructions in the owners book. Weather, type of driving are important factors, so the old formula is still the best for me. 5,000 miles at all time. Than GM would'nt be able to back off from it's warrenties.

It's up to you, but I still do what I did for the last 30 years. 5,000 miles all the time....
It's the last option in the config menu. I don't see how you can accidentally reset it, unless you're REALLY playing with it...

General Motors - A pension fund run by spineless beancounting fools who just happens to be building cars on the side.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani
It's the last option in the config menu. I don't see how you can accidentally reset it, unless you're REALLY playing with it...
exactly, its not even something you can reset with the car in drive.

I changed the oil today and reset it to 100% and after 70 miles its already down to 95%. There must be something going wrong with that feature on my car.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 07:52 AM

You might want to mention it to dealer next time you are there (if not already done).

I have seen a few cases of this. Seems to be related to just the 2006 3.5L.

Your driving pattern might make it especially noticeable. You mentioned a little about that - do you have a pretty regular drive? How far 1-way?
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 12:50 PM

DIC Oil Life calculation doesn't solely depend on driving patterns and distance. It'll run out faster if it's cold as well.

We've been seeing sub-zero temperatures here in Toronto, and mine's down to 28% with only 3600kms.

But I suspect there's a problem with the thermostat on my car. It was snowing and it told me it's 5 degrees

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in