Omg Another Oil Thread! - Pontiac G6 Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Omg Another Oil Thread!

This is specifically about the oil indicator.

I've got about 800 miles on my car, and had the oil changed around 700. I noticed today the oil life gauge is still at 80 whatever percent, so obviously the gauge is based purely on mileage and has to be reset.

My question is how do you reset the oil indicator? Also, is there an indicator and/or noise that goes off when it gets low? The reason I ask is once I switch to Synthetic I don't plan on changing it any more often than 6,000 miles (unless the G6 actually requires it for some reason, anyone know?), and I don't want a light or noise or message in the info center pestering me. I get every other oil change (every 6,000 miles) free from the dealer. From what I've read Synthetic oils last way longer than that.

My other question is about synthetic oils. I've heard all kinds of mumbo jumbo about using them and don't know what's true. I've heard stuff about not switching to synthetics until a certain amount of mileage. I've also heard once you use synthetic you can't go back to petroleum based oil. Is any of this true? I haven't really found anything on google pertaining to these questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:04 PM

You could look at your owner manual - it tells how to reset Oil Life Monitor. The monitor isn't simply based on mileage, although that is a factor.

Reset it (when ready) by pushing menu button once so that it displays Oil Life Reset and then press and hold Enter until Acknowledge is displayed.

When Oil Life gets to around 10% you will see "Change Oil Soon" indicator and 3 chimes on each ignition cycle.

I don't know about synthetic oils but I have read some of the same stuff on Internet as you mentioned.

One thing I do know is that the Oil Life Monitoring system in G6 is algorithm-based and is calibrated for petroleum oil and so it will not calculate life different if you are using synthetic. Only vehicles built with engines recommending synthetic oil have oil life monitors that are calibrated for it.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 05:15 AM

I am having Mobil 1 put into my car whenever they're done putting the engine back together. I've only got about 800kms on it now but I consider it to be broken in at this point. (As well as broken, 3 bent valves)

Synthetic oil is 100% compatible with petroleum based oil, and you can switch between the two at any time.

I am switching to Mobil 1 because I have read that the change interval is something like 15,000Mi, which means having to change the oil basically once per year.

2006 Black GTP Coupe M6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper
Reset it (when ready) by pushing menu button once so that it displays Oil Life Reset and then press and hold Enter until Acknowledge is displayed.
D'oh. I just assumed it was something you had to do under the hood or with the fuses or something. Me and my assumptions.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Club Six Speeeeeed

Send a message via MSN to Blackrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS2000
I am having Mobil 1 put into my car whenever they're done putting the engine back together. I've only got about 800kms on it now but I consider it to be broken in at this point. (As well as broken, 3 bent valves)

Synthetic oil is 100% compatible with petroleum based oil, and you can switch between the two at any time.

I am switching to Mobil 1 because I have read that the change interval is something like 15,000Mi, which means having to change the oil basically once per year.
Ouch that sucks, thats the first problem with the 3900 that i've herd of.

The change intervals are set by GM and dont change by the they of oil you put in.
Technically yes you are correct but GM doesn’t care.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 07:30 AM

There was no problem with the engine other than an IDIOT error by the driver.. lol..

I had it red-lined on the highway and shifted down instead of up (missed the shift gate, was aiming for fourth, hit second). Bbefore I realised that I had screwed up, I lifted my foot off the clutch. Over revved it by about 2000rpm I would say.

GM is being very nice in that they're fixing it under warranty for me.

The downside is that I've been waiting for parts for more than two weeks.

2006 Black GTP Coupe M6
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Former G6 Guy

Send a message via AIM to bigbengt67
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:35 AM

Ouch is a huge understatement.

I felt so stupid when I let off on the clutch that I was beating myself up about it for a few hours.

I don't blame the car. I was an idiot.

I saw the car the other day, and the engine is all apart with the rear bank of cylinders exposed (covered with a cloth). They're waiting on a head gasket kit to arrive from Mexico for it. After that, I figure I'll have the car the next day.

I think I'm going to sit in the driveway for a few hours practicing moving the shifter around...

2006 Black GTP Coupe M6
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 08:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to SimplyRed
just a thought from my days at the part stores, I was always under the assumption that you could go from normal oil to synthetic but not back?! Not that theres any reason you'd want to, just something to look into though!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 08:49 AM

on high mileage engines, dino oil typically "plugs" areas where a leak would have become apparent due to the inconsistencies of particle sizes (some big, some small). syn. oil is typically thinner and more consistent (smaller sizes) and if you switch over, you're more likely to see leaks you would not have if you didn't.

on a newer engine, it's said to not go synthetic for something like 10-15k, though i'd just switch over after your first "scheduled" change (i.e., 3k). it's a brand new engine, and by 3k it's broken in decent enough.

one thing though, if you're going to go synthetic, stay synthetic, or stay dino, one way or the other. personally, i go mobil 1 at that first 3k oil change...
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Designed For Action

Quote:
There was no problem with the engine other than an IDIOT error by the driver.. lol..

I had it red-lined on the highway and shifted down instead of up (missed the shift gate, was aiming for fourth, hit second). Bbefore I realised that I had screwed up, I lifted my foot off the clutch. Over revved it by about 2000rpm I would say.
That is truly incredible! In the future, please be careful with that high-rev excitement.

Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Designed For Action

Quote:
I think I'm going to sit in the driveway for a few hours practicing moving the shifter around...
That's a good idea!

Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 01:18 PM

SCGA1: It has certainly humbled me. lol..

After the initial break in period, you can switch to synthetic with no problems. Really, the break in is done at the factory, so you should have no trouble switching as soon as you get the car.

2006 Black GTP Coupe M6
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper
Just tried this. I know the other options it takes 2 seconds to clear. Unless you need to hold enter for more than like 4 seconds it didn't work.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
At this point by reading your 2 main posts, im thinking you shouldnt be driving a car OR you need to really do some research before you blow the engine again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in