window cleaning products - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to ONT_GUY Send a message via Yahoo to ONT_GUY
window cleaning products

ok soo does anyone know of a good window cleaning product ive just about tried everything on the market an still havent found a really good streak free product or maybe home made soloutiones too an i have tried the vinegar an news paper idea worked not to bad just left a bad smell after lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Lifetime Member

I find the Windex w/O amonia works well. I started to use it for the tinted windows, I stay with it.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to ONT_GUY Send a message via Yahoo to ONT_GUY
ok cool thnx not sure if ive tried that yet but ill give it a shot i also smoke so i think thats why im having a hard time getting the streaks off my windows espically the windsheild but ill try that windex an see thnxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Premium Member

Windex cleans everything. I also use Invisible Glass and paper towels works well for me, but just my opinion.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 PM

stoners invisble glass works wonders when used with a microfiber, another good one is turtle was ice synthetic glass cleaner... love em both. but whatever it is, microfiber is a must.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 09:56 AM
[IMG]http://i728.photobuc

totally agree I use microfiber towels for everything, I will never go back to terry cloths again. invisble glass is the bomb! but again make sure you use a clean microfiber towel!

BLUIZER GT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 AM

A. If you have tinted windows, no ammonia! On the inside..

B. Rainx - It is basically a 2-in-1.. Helps your windows during the rain and cleans them.

C. Old school baby, soap n water! Then dry it with a lent free cloth.. It works especially good for the inside.. The sprays are too awkward and too sloppy and streaking is VERY common. Water doesn't streak

*EDIT*

B. When you use rainx, you are protecting them from future rain and the immediate streaking or water spots.

I worded the first one wrong.

Last edited by FLgator523; 06-14-2009 at 10:29 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Love my commute!

Any non-ammonia glass cleaner or, as mentioned above, soap and water, though a worse chance with that last method to leave waterspots on a hot day if you're cleaning the windows and do not have a garage.

Two towels. One to use the cleaner, one dry to follow up and gently buff off any streaks.

RainX was a product I used for several months until I got complaints of a "haze" on the windshield. I started noticing as I got busier in the summer and didn't have as much time to devote to my car that I also began to develop an odd kind of hazy film on all surfaces that had been treated with RainX. Man did it take some fricken work to get that stuff off. Now, the same effect with your windows can be had by applying the wax you're using (doesn't last as long) or whatever paint sealant/glaze you are using (lasts a bit longer than carnauba).
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3ap0n-x View Post

RainX was a product I used for several months until I got complaints of a "haze" on the windshield.
Agreed. I washed my car last night so I could apply the decals. And with the sun almost directly above my car, a haze was definitely visible. Also remember don't get discouraged when you wash your car in the sun, because you will NEVER get every spot or every streak off..

In an ideal world you give it a bath outside then detail it inside but not all of us have functional garages

Mods: Nothing! Except 20% tinted all around and 2
G6 OwnersClub.com decals.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Love my commute!

You'll either need a water treatment device or wash early morning/ late evening when there is no direct sunlight.

Also remember to rinse with an OPEN hose (no nozzle or sprayer attached) and this will nearly eliminate the water spots.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3ap0n-x View Post
RainX was a product I used for several months until I got complaints of a "haze" on the windshield.
i use to go threw the auto washes at holiday.... if you get the one with the rainex sealent or whatever, it will give your whole care that haze.... that was a pain in the ass to get off... needless to say i wash it myself now that its above 32 degrees in MN...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinferno View Post
i use to go threw the auto washes at holiday.... if you get the one with the rainex sealent or whatever, it will give your whole care that haze.... that was a pain in the ass to get off... needless to say i wash it myself now that its above 32 degrees in MN...
The brushless I go through that has Rain-x never gave me that problem. It could be something to do with the outside temperature. Did you try it again after it got warmer out?

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6 View Post
The brushless I go through that has Rain-x never gave me that problem. It could be something to do with the outside temperature. Did you try it again after it got warmer out?
not once it was "hot" out... once it hit like 55, and was warm enuff to wash in the driveway, thats when i stoped. on the windshield you could really tell in the sun... it had like a waxy film on it...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 04:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinferno View Post
not once it was "hot" out... once it hit like 55, and was warm enuff to wash in the driveway, thats when i stoped. on the windshield you could really tell in the sun... it had like a waxy film on it...
When I used the original rain-x on my windshield I had the haze right after I put it on. I cleaned it off with windex and it really hasn't been an issue since. I haven't used it on there fore a while though and last time I applied it was early April.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Love my commute!

RainX is applied by wiping it on, letting it "dry" to a haze and then scrubbing the living hell out of it until the windshield appears clear. There is still a layer of RainX on the windshield and this is what repels water.

After time in the sun and air the layer of RainX that repels water so effectively finally breaks down and becomes hazy...and is an absolute SOB to get off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Automotive Cleaning and Detailing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in