Removing Aftermarket Chrome Accents - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Question Removing Aftermarket Chrome Accents

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a used 2005 Pontiac G6 today and I absolutely love it, except for one minor flaw the car came with. When I bought it, it came with those tacky stick-on chrome accents on the window pillars and on the wheel arches. I really hate them, as I think they make the car look like a mix between ghetto and overly cheap. I want my new car to have the stock look with no chrome other then what it SHOULD come with. They feel like they are bonded with 3M foam squares (like the stuff to stick things on the wall). Here are some pictures of it....

The thing is though, I bought it today and it has the chrome arches attached, but here in the seller's photo they aren't there. Why would the dealer attach them to try to sell the car?

Can someone please explain how to remove this, and will there be any damage done by removing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Love my commute!

Ghetto FABULOUS and THUGALICIOUS!

Okay, okay...that didn't help.

Blowdryer (don't get too close to the car) or a good hot summer day in the sun and a little bit of tugging should remove them. Clean up the rest of the residue by SOAKING the 3M sticky foam with a cleaning agent of your choice (simple green would do famously).

Of course...if you were like me you'd take it back to the dealership and make them do it.

Nice car, btw.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Lifetime Member

Maybe the seller lives in the ghetto. I'm with you, get them off! I would go and ask the seller what he used to put that crap on with. In those words!.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for both your responses.

I tried the hairdryer method and was unsuccessful. I pointed 2 of them in one small area of the tape for like 3 minutes and it would still not budge even after being burning hot. It sucks that this stuff was probably put on like a couple of days ago and I'm trying to take it off. And to make the situation worse, the dealer who put them on is over 2 hours away, since I bought the car used. When I purchased it, I overlooked the fact that it had them because the seller said they could easily come off (and I believed him ).

I haven't tried the simple green idea you said to me because I read somewhere that it can ruin your paint. Has any ever done this, or have any other suggestions on how to get them off? They're driving me nuts!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

SImple green has been on my paint before. Didnt hurt it. Just wash it off afterward and reapply wax and you should be fine.

Yeah...I actually dechromed mine. Looks better imho

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Automotive Cleaning and Detailing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in