LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

What Car Wash Soap?

What car wash soap do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Lifetime Member

Dawn or Ivory liquid. I find Dawn works well if the car has a lot of road film on it.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

????????????????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 AM
DLK

Soap?

For the last 46 years of vehicle washing I can honestly say I have NEVER used soap!

Just a bucket and good sponge, nice cotton bath towels to dry! Never had swirl marks or scratches!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Lifetime Member

To spend a lot of money on a liquid soap that says CAR SOAP and looks/smells nice is a waste of money. To me soap is soap.

Mike
MODS;
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Love my commute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowal4 View Post
For the last 46 years of vehicle washing I can honestly say I have NEVER used soap!

Just a bucket and good sponge, nice cotton bath towels to dry! Never had swirl marks or scratches!
You're either blind, lying, or only wash tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
To spend a lot of money on a liquid soap that says CAR SOAP and looks/smells nice is a waste of money. To me soap is soap.
This is not entirely true. A soap for dishes is for...well...dishes. Baked on finish that has forks being scraped across it all of the time.

For a car the soap doesn't actually "clean". What is important with the soap for a car's finish is the lubricity. Dirt and grit scratch and micromar paint and when they are scrubbed across a car's finish (regardless of what anyone says) with inferior instruments then they are only going to damage your finish even worse.

When washing a car your wash mitt is what actually removes the dirt...not your soap. The soap should lubricate and suspend the dirt and grit once you remove it from the surface of your finish, allowing the contaminants to simply glide off the car when you rinse.

Also, when using whatever brand car wash liquid you prefer be certain to follow the recommended measured amount for the proper dilution. If you mix too strong then you're going to strip your last step product. If stripping your LSP is your goal to apply a fresh coat then that's fine...but if you're just doing a maintenance wash in between details then you want a soap that has good lubricity but isn't too aggressive when diluted properly.

Edit: And for the record...right now I use Meguiar's Gold Class simply because it's slimy and Wal-Mart has it on the cheap.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:35 PM

I have to agree with w3ap0n-x. The dish soap, after repeated use, can actually dry up rubber trim on the car. The dish soap is just too strong for a car.

It's important to have a good condition washmit/microfiber sponge and soap. If you use an old ratty sponge with the mesh over it, chances are you're putting fine scratches into your paint.

I also use Meguiar's Gold Class and it does a really good job.

2005 Pontiac G6 GT (Black)

Last edited by dantheman65; 04-22-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: punctuation
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3ap0n-x View Post
You're either blind, lying, or only wash tanks.

This is not entirely true. A soap for dishes is for...well...dishes. Baked on finish that has forks being scraped across it all of the time.

For a car the soap doesn't actually "clean". What is important with the soap for a car's finish is the lubricity. Dirt and grit scratch and micromar paint and when they are scrubbed across a car's finish (regardless of what anyone says) with inferior instruments then they are only going to damage your finish even worse.

When washing a car your wash mitt is what actually removes the dirt...not your soap. The soap should lubricate and suspend the dirt and grit once you remove it from the surface of your finish, allowing the contaminants to simply glide off the car when you rinse.

Also, when using whatever brand car wash liquid you prefer be certain to follow the recommended measured amount for the proper dilution. If you mix too strong then you're going to strip your last step product. If stripping your LSP is your goal to apply a fresh coat then that's fine...but if you're just doing a maintenance wash in between details then you want a soap that has good lubricity but isn't too aggressive when diluted properly.

Edit: And for the record...right now I use Meguiar's Gold Class simply because it's slimy and Wal-Mart has it on the cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman65 View Post
I have to agree with w3ap0n-x. The dish soap, after repeated use, can actually dry up rubber trim on the car. The dish soap is just too strong for a car.

It's important to have a good condition washmit/microfiber sponge and soap. If you use an old ratty sponge with the mesh over it, chances are you're putting fine scratches into your paint.

I also use Meguiar's Gold Class and it does a really good job.
Okay.

Mike
MODS;
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Love my commute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
Okay.
Your quote box made it look like I was being rude and I wanted to make sure people don't think that.

Car care is very very delicate. If you make a mistake and you don't have the proper equipment then you have to live with it or pay big money to have it repaired. For a full detail I start my fee at around $250 and it goes up depending on the size and condition of the vehicle.

A soap really is supposed to be gentle. Everything that touches a car's finish should be as delicate as possible (aim for the soft bugs). There will come a time when the swirlmarks and scratches are simply too much and it will be time to have the car professionally detailed or buy the equipment and learn yourself.

Not many people are willing to spend that kind of money on their vehicle's appearance, so I find it very very very important to help them find ways to keep their micromarring and swirlmarks to a minimum.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Your quote box made it look like I was being rude and I wanted to make sure people don't think that.
I can assure you that I did not think you were being rude. The use of "emoticons" can help use as we write on forums to express feelings.

My
Quote:
Okay
was a validation of your and dantheman65's comments. If we all feel the same way about every topic on any forum the forum would not be of any help. I have been washing cars for quite a long time and I (IMO) feel the difference between "Car wash soap" and "liquid dish soap" is nominal, where the difference in price is significant.
The other members here can choose any soap they want and try both if they want to decide on their own. All opinions are welcome.

So I'll end my rant with some confusing emoticons, if you don't mind no wait I'm lost car soap sand paper cleans too

Mike
MODS;
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
DLK

Soap

I am neither blind, lying or anything else and probably old eoungh to be your father's of grandfather's age.

I was just stating my own personal prefernce
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I am neither blind, lying or anything else and probably old eoungh to be your father's of grandfather's age.

Sir, your input is most welcome anytime, as is all others. That's what makes the forum great, everyone's willingness to share their personal experience. Perhaps we all learned something or picked up a possible alternative to what we are used to doing. I thank all who responded to this question and appreciate everyone's help.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 02:47 PM

Edit: And for the record...right now I use Meguiar's Gold Class simply because it's slimy and Wal-Mart has it on the cheap.[/quote]

Agreed.

Mark.

My driver 2007 G6 GT Sedan white with black leather, sunroof. Duel outlet exhaust.
Wife's driver 2015 Equinox 2LT AWD 3.6 V6
My toy 1984 camaro... to much to list.

Last edited by whatever; 04-25-2009 at 02:50 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Love my commute!

Quote:

I'd never let my father anywhere near my car with a rotary and my grandfather is dead.

I use a two bucket method and sheepskin wash mitts. I keep the car constantly wet and use nothing but the finest microfibers to dry the car and never rush. One swipe with the wash mitt, flip, one more swipe and in the rinse bucket. Ring out, dip in soapy water and repeat. I claybar every square inch of external painted surface, tape off every piece of trim, and rotary each panel individually with up to three different stages of polish and use a series of products to enhance shine, depth, and protection until the car is show-ready. I have a Century 400 Ninja extractor and a slew of professional chemicals to get carpets cleaner than any professional carpet cleaner could. I know about detailing because I try the method, chemical, or tool before I comment on it or give my opinion about it.

I agree with you about personal preference, though...I just believe that a person should have a vast amount of experience with something before they give their opinion on it. In my experience, if you don't use microfibers and the proper dilution of a good soap you will end up with micromarring and swirlmarks.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I'd never let my father anywhere near my car with a rotary and my grandfather is dead.

I use a two bucket method and sheepskin wash mitts. I keep the car constantly wet and use nothing but the finest microfibers to dry the car and never rush. One swipe with the wash mitt, flip, one more swipe and in the rinse bucket. Ring out, dip in soapy water and repeat. I claybar every square inch of external painted surface, tape off every piece of trim, and rotary each panel individually with up to three different stages of polish and use a series of products to enhance shine, depth, and protection until the car is show-ready. I have a Century 400 Ninja extractor and a slew of professional chemicals to get carpets cleaner than any professional carpet cleaner could. I know about detailing because I try the method, chemical, or tool before I comment on it or give my opinion about it.

I agree with you about personal preference, though...I just believe that a person should have a vast amount of experience with something before they give their opinion on it. In my experience, if you don't use microfibers and the proper dilution of a good soap you will end up with micromarring and swirlmarks.
Hey w3apon-x, I've noticed that you have a lot of handy tips for car detailing care and I wanted to know how do you dry your vehicle? I find drying to be a little tricky.

2005 Pontiac G6 GT (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Automotive Cleaning and Detailing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in