Sts rear mount turbo - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Sts rear mount turbo

Yes guys, I no! Turbo's have been beat to death. I'm sorry but ill bring it up again. Until yesterday I was with the majority, turbo g6s are expensive and no room in the engine bay. But this company, STS turbos, have a rear mount turbo. You replace your stock muffler with the turbo. I got a quote for the kit installed from a shop for between 3 and 4000. That's only the turbo. Then I would want to get the fuel air ratio's tuned. Probably methonal injectors since we have 9.8:1 compression. But besides that it should be strait forward. Im expecting to be around 350bhp at and 5-7 lbs boost and about 5000 into it. The only question/concern I have is the transmission. Does anyone know how much the 2008 3.5l's 4spd autos are good for? And what will be the weakest link? And possible upgrades to the drive train?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk09 View Post
Yes guys, I no! Turbo's have been beat to death. I'm sorry but ill bring it up again. Until yesterday I was with the majority, turbo g6s are expensive and no room in the engine bay. But this company, STS turbos, have a rear mount turbo. You replace your stock muffler with the turbo. I got a quote for the kit installed from a shop for between 3 and 4000. That's only the turbo. Then I would want to get the fuel air ratio's tuned. Probably methonal injectors since we have 9.8:1 compression. But besides that it should be strait forward. Im expecting to be around 350bhp at and 5-7 lbs boost and about 5000 into it. The only question/concern I have is the transmission. Does anyone know how much the 2008 3.5l's 4spd autos are good for? And what will be the weakest link? And possible upgrades to the drive train?

Thanks

My 2005 GT tranny is rated for 200HP.. however.. my car came factory with 205HP.. Even a 5th grader can do that math..

Certainly your should be better.. maybe.. 230 Horses?

I had the same thought you did, however, I can't justify 3-4k + another 5-6k for a new tranny.. and then programming.. and blah blah blah..

for 8-10k.. new car mod would be new car..
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Point made. Whether this can be done or not, the biggest factor is money and time. Spending thousands of dollars on this type of project is not worth it when you could just use that money for a trade-in for a better car like a GTO or G8. Putting on a turbo would also strain the transmission to the point that it would break it.

Even if you got the turbo to work with a new transmission (or even the current one) you will forever live in fear that your engine will royally blow up. If you have money to spend on that kind of risk, then go ahead, but the vast majority of us know when the risk is not worth the reward.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your input. The way I see it is, I bought the car a couple years ago for 18000. Since, Ive put in about 7000 in extras (no performance upgrades at all). So im 25000 into it... The dealership said they'll give me 12000. 1) thats a BIG HIT... 2) the next car I'd buy is probably going to be a new camaro, most likely v6. That will cost 30000. So I could by new and spend 18000 more on warrenty, with 312 hp. Or, Im checking out a turbo. Even if it costs 8000 thats still way less. With atleast 350bhp. With an upgraded trans. And im not to worried about the engine since Id run low boost, premium fuel and methonal injectors.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk09 View Post
Thanks guys for your input. The way I see it is, I bought the car a couple years ago for 18000. Since, Ive put in about 7000 in extras (no performance upgrades at all). So im 25000 into it... The dealership said they'll give me 12000. 1) thats a BIG HIT... 2) the next car I'd buy is probably going to be a new camaro, most likely v6. That will cost 30000. So I could by new and spend 18000 more on warrenty, with 312 hp. Or, Im checking out a turbo. Even if it costs 8000 thats still way less. With atleast 350bhp. With an upgraded trans. And im not to worried about the engine since Id run low boost, premium fuel and methonal injectors.
I hope you understand the concept of depreciation. This graph represents the depreciation of a normal car:

The dealership doesn't care how much you put into it when it comes to modifications. I'm pretty sure most of us would agree that 12k is a pretty fair trade-in value for your car. As a matter of fact, modifications usually lower the trade-in value. I bought my G6 for 12k back in 2008. I'm lucky to get 8k now at 95k miles. If you think a Camaro V6 is 30k dollars, then you need to look again. The base model starts at 22k NEW (which is a V6).

Buying a new car is never a good investment and is usually reserved for those who have the money to take the hit in depreciation in turn for being the original owner of the car.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes I understand that, but 12000 to drive the car for 2 years is to much of a hit. Therefore Im keeping the car for a while. And thats 22k starting. By the time you get a few options your right up there. There may be a difference in location. Im from Alberta Canada. But anyways back to the original question. Are there parts to "beef up" the trans? Or am I looking at a whole new trans to handle 350hp
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Da.v3

Your numbers, your justification for doing it...are all wacked right out.

Stupid stupid reason to justify putting turbo into the 6.

I dont even know where to start or end.

All I have to say.....go do it and post pics. Thanks.

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Performance: Full CRABs | RacingLine street MMIs + STB

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Please, I dont wanna get into arguements about whether to or not. I'm simply looking for an answer. What are the transmissions rated for, and what parts can I use to increase that rating?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 AM

Im not gonna lie i think the way u guys treat turbos around here is kinda shitty...I mean okay i get it, its fine to try and tell people there not good and etc etc. I mean you guys did it to me, and im not getting one. But if someone wants to try it out theres no reason to keep bashing him for it. He asked a simple question if u cant answer it dont keep dropping all these hate posts. Its his money (to be worth it or a loss) its his car...so leave it at that. Sorry i dont kno wut the tranny holds i jus had to drop my 2 cents. Personally i think the turbo is a great idea if u can get it to fit and not mess up ur tranny or other things. Im pretty sure no one here actually has one so ppl shouldnt down it so much.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:06 AM

I have around 400 horse 6 and I had to put a grand pre gtp tran ( the one that comes with a super charger stock. This should work for you but I have to rebuild it about every 75,000 miles
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 AM

Those STS turbos are wicked. I saw a corvette with the remote mounted ones, that thing was awesome.

I think the trans is going to be the only thing to hold you back. Especially if it is the 4 speed.

@laxbro - Is that GTP Grand Prix trans a direct bolt up? What did you have to do it make it work? What generation Grand Prix is it out of?

Andrew

08 G6 GT

Modifications: Spyders, HID's Lows/Fogs
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxbro09 View Post
I have around 400 horse 6
are you saying that you have a 400HP G6?

.....and the Trans was the only thing you had to upgrade? what engine?

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxbro09 View Post
I have around 400 horse 6 and I had to put a grand pre gtp tran ( the one that comes with a super charger stock. This should work for you but I have to rebuild it about every 75,000 miles
Quite a convenient time to find this site dont you think?

06 GT - black on black
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM

yet another one claims to have 400hp on a g6.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Da.v3

lmfao. lets see some pics and a video what trans did you put in.

jesus i wish i had admin so bad.

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Performance: Full CRABs | RacingLine street MMIs + STB

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in