wams tune? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

wams tune?

Where can I buy it? How much is it? Is it easy to install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:52 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/

That's where you buy it, He's only open on the weekends. Like Sat n Sun. it says on the website, those are the times you can view the package and such.

It cost me under $450. but I got a New PCM and TCM outright. And shipping added to that cost.

Install is a breeze. Just disconnect the battery, wait like 10 minutes to make sure all discharges. Then it's just a matter of removing the modules and disconnecting them and putting in your new ones. The only tools you need is a wrench to disconnect the battery. The modules are held into plastic clips and it comes right out.

The only thing I had to do was a CASE relearn to lean the position of the Crankshaft sensor. Dealers can do it, I got it done when using a dash hawk

Frankly I LOVE my WAMS tune

Last edited by CruisinG6; 01-27-2012 at 08:06 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Wow. Do u really need a tune to run on 91 oct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

What is Invisitune?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 PM

(Not trying to steal the thread) 91 or 93 octane tune? Also, can you run it without the crankshaft relearn, as in, install wams, then drive it to the dealership to get the crankshaft relearn (how much for the relearn)?

Performance
CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Some dealers will do the relearn for free. Some will charge you. I did mine myself by borrowing a buddies Dash Hawk. You can also see if any shops have a GM Tech II Scan tool. if they do then they can do the relearn.

You can still drive without the relearn. You'll just have a Check Engine Light and it probably won't work to it's fullest. It would be kind of in "cautious mode" haha.
But really I installed my tune and ran it for like 2 weeks before the light came on. I noticed since it was installed the idle would kind of have a misfire every so often (hardly noticeable and only while idling) as it tried to compensate, Since it didn't know the position of the sensor it couldn't and eventually threw the code. You can still drive with the light on and probably not experience any problems.

And yea you do need a tune to run it off higher octane AND actually see performance increases. The base tune that it comes with from the factory is designed to get the maximum amount of MPG without loosing too much power... all on the cheapest gas option, 87 octane. You need to re-map the ECU and adjust the timing with the injectors and spark plugs to really get and feel the power increase from the Higher octane gas.

And from what I can gather the invisitune is an option to make it more undetectable I suppose... I didn't go for it, Mainly because I still have my Stock ECM/TCM and because I usually stay pretty far from the dealers, unless it's warranty related.

Its probably pretty safe to assume that tuning the ECM/TCM will void your powertrain warranty...

I went 93 Octane because I live in Illinois and All over Illinois and Wisconsin and pretty much all other neighboring states offer 93 as their premium option.
More towards the west cost you find more gas stations have 91 octane as their premium grade.

Last edited by CruisinG6; 01-31-2012 at 11:16 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 AM

After a WAMS tune, will you damage the car if you fill up 87 octane instead of the 93 once in awhile? i also must ask what is invistune and why is whiteautoandmedia charging an extra $15 for it? also, it says delivery method: "ship in your ECM/TCM" or "spair ECM outright" the latter adding $135 to the order? what is the ECM and do i already have one in the car i can ship in or what? is it like a handheld computer to program the car? what is a dash hawk btw lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 11:27 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel42 View Post
After a WAMS tune, will you damage the car if you fill up 87 octane instead of the 93 once in awhile? i also must ask what is invistune and why is whiteautoandmedia charging an extra $15 for it? also, it says delivery method: "ship in your ECM/TCM" or "spair ECM outright" the latter adding $135 to the order? what is the ECM and do i already have one in the car i can ship in or what? is it like a handheld computer to program the car? what is a dash hawk btw lol
You won't damage the car if you fill up with lower octane. You just may get more knocking and the PCM will likely retard the timing to stop knocking, so you'll lose performance. Best to stick with the higher octane the tune was written for. If you continue to run a lower octane all the time with the tune then you may start to cause some damage, but really you'll just lose all the extra performance you paid for.

Invisitune makes the tune more undetectable, say you bring your car in for warranty work, the dealer could hook up a scan tool and wont be able to tell you have a performance tune.

Every newer car has a PCM (powertrain control module) and a TCM (transmission control module) some have both built into one.
the PCM is that little metal box with small fins on it that sits towards the front of the car right in front of the battery box under the hood. You can remove it and send it to WAMS to get tuned, or you can pay a little extra for a spare PCM/TCM. That's what I did. So once I received it, it was just a matter of swapping the new tuned modules with my OEM module. If you choose to ship yours in then you obviously can't drive the car until you get them back and install em.

A dashhawk is an OBDII scan tool that allows you to monitor your vehicles sensors as you drive. It can also put the car in CASE relearn mode to learn the crankshaft position sensor angle. This may or may not be required after installing your tuned PCM. Usually only a dealer or someone with a GM TECH II tool can do the relearn. Its really hard to find a dashhawk these days

Last edited by CruisinG6; 11-03-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in