Transmission is getting replaced; what to expect? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Transmission is getting replaced; what to expect?

Beware: Long rant/story.

Ill start off by saying that today has been a stressful day for me. Last week I brought my car to a local mechanic to fix my front passenger window(wouldnt go down). Since I needed an oil change and I'm about to hit 50000 miles, I also go my transmission fluid changed and a new belt put on. This past Friday I got my car back, and it seemed to run good. Saturday I went out with some friends and my car was acting very oddly. I would press on the gas and it would rev, but wouldnt really go anywhere. Sunday I let my car sit in the drive way, thinking that what ever happened would go away. Monday I drove my car to school and halfway back to the shop~~ about 25 miles. Every time I would stop at a light for more than 5 seconds, my engine would just stop. I ended up pulling over and calling AAA because I didnt feel my car was safe enough to drive. After getting it towed to the shop and leaving it over night, they called this afternoon with great news. Who ever worked on my car didn't correctly wire the transmission after changing the fluid and my transmission is shot. They said that they will cover the cost of a new transmission, but I honestly cannot trust them now.

What should I expect with this new transmission? Will it lead to other problems with my car or not really? I'm sure you all can understand how I'm feeling right now, especially as this is my first car and I've only owned it for 3 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Gpof59

Well at least they admitted their mistake. The question now is..,is it actually a NEW transmission?, REBUILT?, or a JUNKYARD SPECIAL?. I'm betting it's a rebuilt, like a Jasper or something like that. When installed and if it's right, there should'nt be any issues. If you don't trust them, then ask not only cost of tranny, but the cost for labor, and cost of a rental car. This could be a small claims court situation. Most shops do not like to go to court. Good Luck and hopefully you'll be cruising soon.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:19 AM
2006 G6 GTP

Talking trans problem

From my experience having had 2 of these transmissions, it sounds like a possible broken forward apply band or a torque converter solenoid not disengaging the torque converter lock-up. Either way, it's a pretty hefty repair and the trans will definitely have to come out to fix it. I have rebuilt both of mine from the bottom up so believe me...I KNOW! Good luck to ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in