Hp - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Hp

One of my buddies asked me the other day what kind of horse power I was pushing... And I have no idea.. nor do I have a dyno to find out.. I have the 3.5l V6 engine (2006) and have added Crabs o3, a custom magnaflow exhaust system, and 91 octane WAMS tune. If someone could give me a rough estimate that would be very helpful!

Performance
CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:26 PM

2006 comes with 200HP. Add approx. 5HP for CRABS, 5-10HP for Magnaflow, and approximately 12HP for the Tune. You're around 20-30 extra HP gain, so around 220-230HP

*DISCLAIMER* These are all based off of estimates given by the companies themselves*
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM

By the way....how do you like your tune? I'm considering getting one, but I'm hesitant on the gas consumption and how the engine would idle.

Also, does it sound different after the tune? People always say cars sound nice and "tuned" so I want to know if it would sound different afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossnian View Post
By the way....how do you like your tune? I'm considering getting one, but I'm hesitant on the gas consumption and how the engine would idle.

Also, does it sound different after the tune? People always say cars sound nice and "tuned" so I want to know if it would sound different afterwards.
I figured it was somewhere around there. Thanks!
And I love my tune! I went with a 91 octane tune, and it is wonderful. My idle is a little slower, which I am ok with. (Around 50-100rpms). The sound, I haven't noticed much of a huge difference, but it sounds smoother, if that makes sense. The shifting point change, and the better gas mileage (when foot stays off the throttle) is the most noticeable change. It is one of my favorite mods thus far.

Performance

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 PM
GXP

make a vid of your car on the road, im thinking of getting the tune on the gxp ..how much did it cost you?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

I got a new PCM, so I think it was around 425-450... but check out the site http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/ind...mart&Itemid=54
Chris only does it on the weekends, as an extra job. So it does take a little time.
I'll try and get a driving video of my car sometime this week.

Edit; or, if you don't want to wait for me to get a video, check out youtube, just search Pontiac G6 Wams. and plenty of videos will show up.

Performance

Exterior

Audio
600watt Sony X-plod Amp

Last edited by mitchd17; 03-05-2012 at 05:07 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 AM

You'd be no where near 200whp on a dyno. The HP ratings that the factory gives is at the motor, not the wheels. Also too, you can just add up numbers for every mod you do. That's called ricer math. Sure, you might see 5 HP from a CAI and 10 HP from a tune, but that doesn't automatically add 15 HP to the motor. Because of the tune, you might not see 5 more HP from the CAI, or, you might see more. The only way to tell is get the car on the dyno.

An remember, your WHP is always going to be lower than BHP due to power loss in the other moving parts (trans, axle, wheel size or weight, gear size, ect.).

So tell your buddies that you don't know what the car is "pushing", and if they want to know that bad, pitch in for a dyno run.

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 AM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

From a decent amount of experience with others in the Grand Prix community, and very limited experience in the G6 community, the dyno readings will be approximately 18% less than crank, so if you are able to get to a dyno you can use that to calculate back up to approximate "advertised" hp

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.. I'll see if they'll chip in for a dyno, but I doubt it...

Performance

Exterior

Audio
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptop Diamond View Post
From a decent amount of experience with others in the Grand Prix community, and very limited experience in the G6 community, the dyno readings will be approximately 18% less than crank, so if you are able to get to a dyno you can use that to calculate back up to approximate "advertised" hp
18% give or take is about the norm I've seen too in the f bodies and GTOs with autos.

Left a 421RWHP 2004 GTO, but honestly loving the G6 GT coupe!

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

My guess is 205 to the wheels...or 235 at the crank. Was your 06 a GT?
If so it has the lower gears...

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
My guess is 205 to the wheels...or 235 at the crank. Was your 06 a GT?
If so it has the lower gears...
Ya, GT trim on my 06.
Thanks Lampoon.

Performance

Exterior

Audio
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 AM

I'd expect close to 185-190p on the dyno with your mods.

I still find the 3.29 final lacking on my 06 GT, although it gets decent mileage and cruises around 1900rpm at 65mph. I think the standard fare V6 has a 2.93 final/axle.

If the tune was done correctly you should see a solid 20HP from all three mods. I know when I had my Durango in at the dyno, I threw on a CAI, 52mm TB, uprated coil and Taylor wires with a custom SCT tune to try to make evening work in harmony without giving me engine knock (no knock sensors on the 5.9 V8...) and I was able to gain a mere 31hp from all that with a baseline of 250 at the crank. If you took the manufacturers claims for each mod, it's about 60hp. So I believe when you get everything working together, expect about half of the estimated manufacturers output. I had to drive 3 hours one way to the closest AWD dyno.

I've since added on to the Durango, and believe the best mod for the price is switching over to full synthetic oils as it will free up HP that is otherwise lost to friction. I know it's hard to compare an AWD 'truck' to a FWD care here, but all I've done to my G6 is switch to Amsoil. This way my whole fleet gets one oil change a year, all on the same weekend! I must commend GM on the excellent design for us folks who change their own oil. So far, the GM 3.5L is one of the best engines for ease of accessibility I've ever done an oil change on.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzaG6 View Post
You'd be no where near 200whp on a dyno. The HP ratings that the factory gives is at the motor, not the wheels. Also too, you can just add up numbers for every mod you do. That's called ricer math. Sure, you might see 5 HP from a CAI and 10 HP from a tune, but that doesn't automatically add 15 HP to the motor. Because of the tune, you might not see 5 more HP from the CAI, or, you might see more. The only way to tell is get the car on the dyno.

An remember, your WHP is always going to be lower than BHP due to power loss in the other moving parts (trans, axle, wheel size or weight, gear size, ect.).

So tell your buddies that you don't know what the car is "pushing", and if they want to know that bad, pitch in for a dyno run.
I don't think anyone said he was pushing 200+ WHP.

Based on all 3 mods he's done, I'd say he's looking at around 14-17HP gain.

Liberally, 20HP.

2011 Mustang V6 3.7L
Sterling-Gray Metallic
Mods: BAMA Tuned | Auto Headlights | Fog Lights | Ford Official All-Weather Floor Mats | Hood Spears | Bassani Exhaust | Airaid CAI | Roush Rear Valence | 3.55 Gears | Breyton Wheels
Upgraded Audio: MTX REQ-5 | Alpine PDX-5 | 4x Kenwood 6x8s | Pioneer 12" Shallow Mount Sub
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

You got a Mustang...?? Sweet.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in