WAMS on a 2008 3.5 V6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

WAMS on a 2008 3.5 V6

I know information is splattered all across the forum, but I thought I'd ask since I'm getting close to purchasing a WAMS tuned ECU/TCM, and I'd prefer some solid answers if there are those kind enough to help. Right now I have an '08 G6 GT (3.5L i4 V6, stock) sedan with the typical Magnaflow exhaust and a K&N 69 series CAI. I'm about to get the tune and was wondering:

Does the tune work WITH the CAI completely? (I'm fully assuming yes, just clarifying)

After installing the new ECU/TCM, does the tune still work when I'm using TAP-shifting, or only in automatic? (I saw some confusing information about that somewhere on this forum)

And finally, does it give a nice additional kick in the ass to the G6's power, off the line and on the go? That's what I'm most lookin' forward to if possible.

Quicky second edit; Love the forum, love the information here, love the G6 enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance! Stay classy.

In addition, and thanks to my failing short term memory, I also wanted to ask about the specifics on the 'relearning' that's going to be required with the tune, but if it's nothing complicated then that won't matter, seeing as I have family in the automotive business and I can most likely ask them about it.

Last edited by Entwined; 03-31-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

(You can omit the i4 part, You have a 3.5L V6) lol
Anyways The tune will work fully with a CAI, Prime Example: ME - My CAI threw a check engine light which gave me an engine running too lean code. When ordering my WAMS I specified that I have a 3" intake so he could tune for it.

I would assume it would still work with the tap-shift, but I don't have it so I can't be sure, Hopefully someone else can fill that in, or if all else fails contact WAMS. I would say to specify you have that while ordering, wouldn't hurt.

Now I have the 4 cyl. BUT I did notice an additional kick when driving, The car seems to launch of the line a lot better and just has some good get up and go now. I actually feel like I'm able to pass people on the road, unlike before when I was stock, I never felt confident enough in that motor. The tuned TCM adds a nice kick too. My shift points were changed a tad and the trans seems to handle the power a lot better than before.
As a combination I am fully satisfied with my tune, The power increase for the amount of money you spend works out to a great price.

And although premium gas costs more, my car has been getting better MPG so all in all it really seems to even out.

Now as far as the relearn I only had to do a Crankshaft position sensor relearn (CASE Relearn) I have a buddy who has a dashHawk that I used to get it done. Simple process. You can only do this with a GM Tech II scan tool or a DashHawk.
I drove for weeks without a light, then one day it popped on and sure enough it was the CASE Relearn. You can still drive with the light on for a while, It only helps the computer compensate for misfires. I only noticed misfires happening while idling. But the relearn process alone is a breeze. You just need that machine to put the PCM into relearn mode.

Some are also saying you need to do a Key Relearn so you can at least turn the car on. I don't know much about that but I'm sure if you search for it you'll find it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that info! I feel confident in my V6, I like how it powers through everything and right now it feels like a pretty solid muscley car, and with the tune I expect some pizzaz haha. But my biggest fear is that when I go to get this 'relearn' they reset the ECU/TCM or what not back to factory settings tuning..or is that on a completely different level all together? I just don't want to pay for a tune only to have it reset. If that's an understandable fear..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 01:19 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

It's a fear we've all thought about. I don't have a specific answer for you, but from what I gather they wouldn't even look. You can opt to get the Invisitune, which makes it more undetectable by the dealer. The only way they would know is if they physically went in and looked at the mapping and such. It's only $15 extra I would go with it.

I didn't get it but I don't really go to my dealer, only for warranty work. And If there's not reason to check, Replace, or re flash the PCM, then they won't do it. They're not going to waste their time working on something that the car isn't there for.

You mentioned you have family in the automotive business... Check with them and see if any of em have access to a GM Tech II scan tool. or a DashHawk.
The key relearn (If required) you can do yourself.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 03:11 PM

The simple answer is no. Seeing as with tap shift you are controlling the shifting points, which is one thing the tune does. Don't get me wrong, the tune is still "on", you're just in control of your destiny.

The kick off the line is great. With my winter tires when the roads were dry, I could squeal the tires around 3+/4 throttle.

Feel free to ask any other questions if you have more.

Performance
CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in