Cat back exhaust - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Cat back exhaust

I know I posted elsewhere but I am so pleased that I have to tell everyone.
I have added cat back systems to other vehicles but what happened today almost leaves me speechless!
Forget the sound, which is wonderfully growly without being obnoxious, it's the added performance that grabs you!
I had the local Midas shop remove the entire stock exhaust system off my 2006 GTP in one piece so that I can simply reinstall it should I trade the car; saves cutting.
Then the muffler man replaced everything from the first flange after the cats back with 2 1/2 inch pipe, a round muffler in place of the resonator, a y-split just aft of the rear axle and then two mufflers with stainless steel tips rounding off the package.
Performance gains are really noticeable. At 2000 rpm's in low, a sudden shove on the gas pedal gives tremendous spin off both front wheels and instant acceleration that you can feel in your butt and back. 6000 rpm comes up quite quickly.
Even low rpms in fourth and a steady press of the gas provides instant response.
I am very pleased with the results though I had reservations when I started.
GTP driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPdriver
I know I posted elsewhere but I am so pleased that I have to tell everyone.
I have added cat back systems to other vehicles but what happened today almost leaves me speechless!
Forget the sound, which is wonderfully growly without being obnoxious, it's the added performance that grabs you!
I had the local Midas shop remove the entire stock exhaust system off my 2006 GTP in one piece so that I can simply reinstall it should I trade the car; saves cutting.
Then the muffler man replaced everything from the first flange after the cats back with 2 1/2 inch pipe, a round muffler in place of the resonator, a y-split just aft of the rear axle and then two mufflers with stainless steel tips rounding off the package.
Performance gains are really noticeable. At 2000 rpm's in low, a sudden shove on the gas pedal gives tremendous spin off both front wheels and instant acceleration that you can feel in your butt and back. 6000 rpm comes up quite quickly.
Even low rpms in fourth and a steady press of the gas provides instant response.
I am very pleased with the results though I had reservations when I started.
GTP driver
I have a similar setup that is a custom job, with MagnaFlow mufflers.

Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 06:37 PM

I'll be doing one of these soon... Im after a bodykit with rims first. Then this. Looks very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCo
I'll be doing one of these soon... Im after a bodykit with rims first. Then this. Looks very nice.
Thanks, I'm very happy with it.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 07:56 PM

Only problem im hearing(from one shop). Is that the 06 Gts have a different underbody design/layout then the 05 GTs. Cause I was after dual exhaust when I first got the care but they said it "sould" be done. But it wouldn't be a good idea to. It was better to stick with a single exhaust outlet. Um, yeah. That was a Midas technition. He said they would do it, machine bent(no thanks), but it wasn't advised.

Any input?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCo
Only problem im hearing(from one shop). Is that the 06 Gts have a different underbody design/layout then the 05 GTs. Cause I was after dual exhaust when I first got the care but they said it "sould" be done. But it wouldn't be a good idea to. It was better to stick with a single exhaust outlet. Um, yeah. That was a Midas technition. He said they would do it, machine bent(no thanks), but it wasn't advised.

Any input?
You can do the dual rear setup without a problem. You have to purchase the GTP rear valance(about $70) for the dual openings. Also, I would find a shop that specializes in exhaust systems.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 08:02 PM
White G6

JonCo im Selling a 06 G6 GT rear lower valance fascia for $50. shipping cost i wil figure out when u tell me where the item needs to go. will fit 05-06 G6...
In good condition..nothing wrong wiht it at all

Do not need it..bought the dual exhaust gtp rear lower valance

2006 GT, GTP Ulra-Bright Wheels, GTP Exhaust, Painted dual lower valence, Middle mirrors, Bottom rocker panels, Red Calipers, GM Strut Bar, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, G6 all weather floor mats, Debadged, and Chrome shift knob
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645473
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t508245142.gif
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 08:14 PM

If I buy a valance. It'll be the GTP one for dual outlets. But im putting on a body kit i believe so I wont need my valance nor a GTP one either.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Paid 4 by ur tax $

Send a message via Yahoo to disposablehero
The GT-r exhaust kit is going to be avalable very soon. All manderal bent and 4 inch tips all t4 stainless and a magnaflow muf.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:10 AM

Care to share how much that Midas job cost???
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Midas job

No I don't mind sharing the cost of the Midas cat back system. Was about $400.00 Cdn for parts and another $300.00 Cdn. for labour. The owner is a drag racer and the kid who did the work is a whiz!
G. Stephen Day
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:35 AM
G6 OWNER

midas job

safe to assume not all shops can do it! also how long did it take (how long without your car) thx bud
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Cat backs aprt 3

In response to the inquiry, I took the car into Midas at 1:30 p.m. and got it back at 5:15 p.m. I am very, very pleased with both the sound and the increase in performance. Looks good too.
GTP driver
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 PM

that's pretty good. Took them an hour and a half to bolt on a cat-back exhaust I brought to them for my old car.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 07:20 PM
night rider

Does anybody have any ideas on how to run duals on the G6 or the GT, the lower part only has one hole for the tip. Any ideas without having to replace the lower part of the bumper?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in