G6, 08, 3.5 L, sedan suspension? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
jml

G6, 08, 3.5 L, sedan suspension?

Hi everybody,

I used to have a base G6, 05, 3.5 L for 3 years till i sold it in January 12
Then bought a 08 sedan SE , 3.5 L with 37 K on it. Suspension is ok on the 08..but...Question: eventualy, can i order from GM the complete front struts (springs and shocks) that goes on GT model (cause if i do this, i dont want to go on used at salvage...dont worth it- will go for new) Why that?
1) Front suspension on base G6 sucks
2) It's a FWD. So most of the handling game is about to the front ( and in a way the same with RWD)
3) Going that way, is there's other front part supensions that should be swapped fom GT's front suspension?

*Not to much concerned 'bout rear suspension, but GT might have stiffer shocks and springs in the back...If this is, let me know.

Thx for answering and regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:07 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I've heard the GT's front springs are stiffer than the 4cyl base, Not sure about the 6 cyl base.

Have you thought about lowering the car? You can get a complete set of springs for around $200 and then you get shocks where you'd like. You can lower the car to improve the look IMO and gain a lot in the handling, It will all be stiffer.

You can check out GMPartsDirect to buy the springs. I took a look and saw they have a "Spring Code" and some seem interchangeable. It seems to me the codes just select stiffer springs.

It may be a good idea to give a dealer a call and ask them as well. Service department should know.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
jml

G6, 08, 3.5 L, sedan suspension?

Hi,

I will go look at GM parts site and also will call a GM dealer. Good idea...
Will also go seeking on GM Forum

Thx again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
jml

G6, 08, 3.5 L, front suspension

Hi Cruisin

Thx for your previous reply...

Did called a GM dealer in Montreal. Parts dept' said that they need my serial # of my base G6 , 3.5 L and a serial # of a GT sedan, same engine (which i dont have). This for comparing...
You said that you saw different parts # on GMparts site. Also saw
that we can get lower coils and shocks on Ebay for 200$? This for the pair or each one? Other topic: usualy, on GM' cars, when they put a HD, Sport type suspension, Rally tune suspensions ( back a lot years ago..), Gm always gear stiffer springs with also stiffer shocks. And also they putting a ticker front and rear stabilizer bars...So would guess that GT , and also GXP having these king of set up. Also i'am quite sure that base 2.4 and 3.5 have the same front suspension. I launched this initial request on GM site forum. Would beleive that i would not have a reply on this topic. On this forum, there's guys who working for GM...( i also know that on G6 forum that there's quite ew top mechanic connaisseurs. They know. Just by reading them
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:19 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I do believe the GXP does have larger/thicker front and rear sway bars. You can also get adjustable front sway bar end links, but being a front wheel drive car you'll actually see more improvement in cornering with an upgraded rear sway bar, unfortunately there are no aftermarket bars, but I know racingline is in the process of making a set so maybe soon!
I'm sure the GXP also has stiffer springs, no idea about the shocks though.

Eibach makes a pro kit for the G6, it's a middle ground lowering kit that brings the car down about 1.5" but still preserves the quality of the ride pretty well. That runs about $250

H&R also make a set of springs that lowers the car, but not as much as the eibach kit, therefore it's a better ride but not as low. That runs about $230

Each kit comes with all four springs. You can use the stock shocks that are in the car now, or replace them with OEM shocks. You could also try and find shortened shocks that are designed for lowered cars, but I'm not sure if a set is available for the G6...

I personally went with SSC springs (also sold by Canuck Motorsports) and that lowered my G6 about 2" all around, The ride is stiffer but it's actually not that bad. I left my stock shocks in and from what I can tell they all still seem to be in good shape.
Alignment didn't raise any issues, Except the rear wheels are -0.5 degrees out on camber, But it's such a tiny amount that there will likely be no abnormal tire wear.

Hope some of this info helped!

Also:
Tirerack.com sells lowering springs for the G6. you can also check ebay, possibly amazon, or did a web search you may find other suppliers.

Last edited by CruisinG6; 07-14-2012 at 02:23 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
jml

G6, 08, sedan, 3.5 L, suspension?

First, thx a lot for your comments and suggestions. Appreciated!

On your 1 rst respond to my initial thread, you say that GT have stiffer springs than a base sedan 2.4 L. My guess (at 99.9 %) is that both base sedan 2.4 L & 3.5 L have the same suspension. Also, now i recalled reading a test drive 'bout G6- 2005, in an yearly book publication of Le Guide de L'auto (Auto Guide) published every year and sold in Quebec, Canada . It's said :
the GT version is much more fun to drive than the base model. GT has a sporty suspension, better tires and has 17 inches rims. ( in 05 and 06, base sedan came with 16 inches and i beleive at this time with Uniroyal Tiger Paw- not the best at all!) . So GT suspension package is different than base model.The question is how much it will cost at GM to swap the susp front and rear? My guess is that we talk a lot of $. Unless i find a scraped GT sedan at the salvage with very low milleage, that i can look at this and also for sway bar. If it's to expensive by GM for new parts or even at salvage, i will go simply by your several suggested options of buying a set of 4 stiffer springs. I will continue my research

Thx again Cruisin. Your'e very helpfull
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 03:41 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Hey no problem! I'm not sure how much GM would charge to swap things out. But I would guess it would be expensive.

I can tell you from experience it's pretty easy to replace the rear springs and shocks. The front springs require a spring compressor and is a little bit more involved.

I also read somewhere that replacing the rear sway bar is a big pain because of how it's arranged.

One thing I almost forgot about is a Strut Tower Bar:
http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...&IDCategory=17
GM makes one as well for the Malibu, But it'll fit the G6. I added that bar before I ever did any suspension work on my Base. And it make a BIG difference in cornering. I got a lot more tire squeal from the crappy stock tires after installing that. haha
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
jml

G6, 08, 3.5 L, sedan suspension

I will go for 4 new springs a bit lowered and find 4 compatibles new HD shocks
(like Gabriel, Monroe...) . This type of package choice will probably give me moore satisfaction in term of performance than purchase all those at GM (who would be much moore expensive. For sure). Strut tower bar (from Malibu..), good idea. I saw pictures of it on G6 forum. On a Olds Intrigue 98 that i used to have, there's was 2 of those tower bars .They were installed like in a V shape. Good handling i had on this Intrigue. The car was also larger than the G6.

Thanks again
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:08 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Yea I can honestly say. With having my car lowered, the STB and much better tires it handles really really well and I love driving it so much more.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
jml

08, 3.5 L sedan suspension

Hi,

Did installed Racingline STB. Good difference on the handling. We can feel it on the wheel. Put lock whashers when screwing down the 2 round plates
No problem of clearance with the hood. GM should had installed STB on G6
wright at the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in