A new guy in need of some quick help... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

A new guy in need of some quick help...

Ok, so I've been looking a lot at cold air intakes, but it's not really in my budget to buy a kit at the moment. We'll the other day I got curious and looked under to hood again, I noticed that there is some hose running from the center over the the air box. From my understanding the biggest part of the power gain from CAI is that its less restrictive right? So would it do anything for me (even just a better noise would be cool) if I just removed the air box and attached a less restrictive filter to the stock hose? Or am I missing something here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

A very common intake mod that people do on the cheap is a Resonator delete and a high performance drop in K&N Air filter for better flow.

The resonator is located behind the bumper directly below where the Air Filter Box is. Removing that alone makes the engine louder. Adding a drop in K&N filter can add to the noise and help improve performance by allowing more airflow.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the hose.

Also which engine do you have? CrabIntakes is a good place to go if you have the V6. If you have the 4 cyl, like I do, it's a little bit more involved than just installing an intake.

Also just to clarify, Although an intake is useful because it's less restrictive, The colder air getting in makes a big difference too. Colder air is more dense which means more molecules of oxygen to be mixed with the atomized fuel in the engine making a bigger boom that improves MPG and power.

Last edited by CruisinG6; 07-13-2012 at 01:58 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Uhm, to start I have the 3.5L v6.

By the "hose" I mean... its like rubber tubing stuff? I'm not sure of a technical term, but more or less, after the air goes in the filter it goes through this "hose" before it hits the mass flow air sensor. Does that help?

Also, is there any cheap (like REALLY cheap) way to run that filter to a colder spot then? Because I ask this question being that the $10 for a filter is doable, but much more and it's not in my price range :/.

So uh, yeah I think I answered your questions... Thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:11 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Alright, I guess that hose would be called the intake duct or tube. I'm really not sure of the technical term either haha.

I would recommend this filter. Although it is like $50, but it's reusable, plus it's got a much higher airflow rate than the stock air filter.
http://www.amazon.com/33-2315-High-Performance-Replacement-Filter/dp/B000E5XM10/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1342252886&sr=1-2&keywords=K%26N+33-2315+High+Performance+Replacement+Air+Filter

Here's a thread on the other forums... A guy went and removed that intake resonator and in it's place inserted a "Ram Air Duct" that goes from the Air filter box to the front grill. Basically "ramming" colder air into the box.
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=14288

I think if you do that duct you may see some improvements and even more if you also add the drop in filter, but that's a little pricey IMO...

There's also this thread where someone did a similar thing but it's just a pipe that's designed to collect air:
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=23153

I posted those links to help give you some ideas, hopefully it'll spark something and I'm sure you can find materials at good prices.

Obviously a complete intake can get pretty pricey. But here's what I did on my 4cyl...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a million man In fact, that link that went to G6 Performance was almost identical to what my plans were, only I was going to use the metal duct that is used from the back of a clothes dryer (granted I can find one the correct size) since that's metal and less likely to warp under heat.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Yea, plus with it being metal and the wind hitting it, it's possible the metal duct can get nice and cool helping to cool down intake temps. Plus it's probably smoother on the inside.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok, cool , well, uh with a cone filter there (like it is in the picture) you don't have to worry about water or anything? Also, how much was that filter if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited by bobalisious; 07-14-2012 at 07:26 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:33 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Yes, with my filter like that I do have to be mindful of water. I've had this setup for a while, drove through some bad rain and bad snow, I've checked and little to no water really gets in. The filter stays dry, A little bit of water never hurt anything and likely wouldn't even make it to the engine. A lot of water is something to watch for. So I do what I can to avoid big puddles or anything to that effect. Also have to be sure to NEVER submerge the bumper under the water.

My filter came with my intake kit. Which being a low quality intake for the cobalt it only cost me $75. Plus another $20 to replace part of it and make it more custom
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Street Edition

CRAB Intake

For what's its worth, here is a pic of a CRAB intake on a 3.6 L V6. I haven't been brave enough to do a resonator delete. I'm VERY happy with my intake/K&N Filter!

Mods: engine cover paint (red), under dash LED (red), tinted windows, CRABS O3/FPU, black Enkei wheels, 245/45r18 Eagle GT, tinted tail lights, Pontiac windshield decal(Burgundy), painted calipers(red), Strut Bar,
Coming soon: MMI, Power slot rotors
Wish List: angel eyes (black)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

For what it's worth, my engine bay will never look that bad ass
But yeah, that paint job is awesome.

Also where can I find these $75 kits for the Cobalt and would they work in my 3.5L?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 03:58 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I got my kit from ebay, but no it won't work for the 3.5 It won't be long enough to get from the TB to where the filter needs to sit, nor will it have the right bends. You can look around the internet I'm sure you can find something.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM

I found a cold air intake on eBay store made by chrome intakes, that's $65 for the v-6 and looks pretty nice, mine came out of a wrecked Malibu I got from a junkyard, I hooked it up, did a resonater delete and got a couple adapter rings and a flex tube made by Spectre that you can buy at advance auto parts that connects to the cone filter and a hole you make in the bottom. I think I posted some pics already.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I got an intake for my cutlass from Chrome Intakes, It really wasn't that bad. The end cap on the filter began to rust after a while, but that was it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in