2008 G6 Base-Adding Trans Cooler, Line Size?,Thermal bipass? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

2008 G6 Base-Adding Trans Cooler, Line Size?,Thermal bipass?

My 3.5L has 99,000 on it with no problems. I am going to do the Trans flush and oil change and am thinking of putting a cooler on while working on it because I occasionally tow with it.

It appears you can buy coolers with different sizes of hose....which size hose should I use?

Also I live in Michigan and I've read that a cooler in cold weather can cause problems until the oil warms. Should a thermal valve be installed and if so does it cause any problems with pressure or other issues if used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I actually went ahead and added a twin transmission cooler setup in my G6 not too long ago, Came out pretty well and well worth it! My transmission LOVES it. I wrote a HOW-TO here: https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12261

The stock trans lines are 3/8"s at the rubber hoses (where I tapped into) All trans cooler kits come with everything you need except for the barbed fittings to tap into the vehicles trans lines..

I would say install the trans cooler AFTER the radiator so it still gets a chance to warm up in the cooler weather.

I went with two Light Duty coolers, you can do the same, or go with one, or go with a medium duty if you want.

There seem to be two different kinds...
I used this kind:
Mainly because it's still a solid 3/8" line that just passes back and forth through the cooler.

But this style cooler:

This "Stacked fin type" Is more efficient but may get it too cold IMO. So that's why I went with the less efficient style, So it cooled it but didn't over cool it haha.

But please check out that How-To and feel free to ask any questions! I'm more than willing to help out!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm leaning to a Derale 13502 Series 8000 Plate Fin Transmission Cooler Kit; should do the job. I presume it will fit in there....7.25" x 11"????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Oh yea there's a lot of room to fit a cooler. But room to work may be sparse. You can pull the plastic radiator cover and get a good look. Did u check out the how-to? I posted pics of the install and space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in