Performance upgrades questions - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Performance upgrades questions

Hello I have a 2009 pontiac g6 se 3.5l v6. I want to get some engine mods to help performance. Starting with a cai and chip. I have heard wam tunes are the best to go with. So my questions are:

Which intake is the best intake to order for my g6. And how hard is it if I were to install the intake myself?

And which wam chip would be my best bet to order?

And finally are there any exhaust systems that can give my g6 a kind of old muscle car sound? Like the soft rumble when idling? I don't like the new exhaust system sounds on cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Garage
Hit up Lampoon for the CAI. He makes the CRAB intakes specifically for the g6. Installation should not be hard at all if you have basic knowlege of tools and mechanical aspects lol Heres the website: http://www.crabintakes.com/

Ive seen a g6 3.5 with the Magnaflow dual exhaust and it sounded pretty nice. Im not sure if he had anything else done. You can also search youtube for different set ups and you can hear them (sort of if the person making the video did it right!) lol
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM

A WAMS "tune" is the ONLY tune out there for these cars that improve your engines performance by about [email protected] There are no "chips".

The custom CRAB intakes made by Lampoon are the way to go. The WAMS tune is designed to be used with the CRABS intake system. Easy cheasy to install.

Go to G6performance.com and search "WAMS". You should find a thread their with tons of info and a way to contact the guy who tunes our cars. You will have to buy a new computer if you want to save your stock one. Or you can tune the one you have, just no option to switch back to stock if you mail in your stock computer. I think its around $400 for a new tuned computer.

As far as exhaust, the Magnaflow exhaust is the most expensive ($5-700) depending where you can get it and if its on sale. This is a bolt-on system.

You can custom make yours. I went custom as i dont have that kind of money to watch my new exhaust rust out. My upgrade is a 2.5" pipe from cat back with a perforated glasspack style resonator (i added this later cuz it was too raspy without it for me) and a free flow muffler. Total paid was $400 installed at a local shop after tax and a limited rust warranty. All stainless material.

Current Mods:
07 G6 GT White, 84K, 35% Tint, 8k HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Tails, DRL Delete, DexCool Delete (is that a mod?) Eibach Springs, EBC Brakes, Orange Calipers, De-Badged, Front Tower Strut Bar, Painted Engine/Battery Covers, CRABS Opt# 3, "Tiger CRAB Ram Air", Custom Catback stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25" tubing with purforated rez and free flow muffler.

Coming Soon:
18" rollers, LED red interior lighting, LED tails, Complete Audio System Renovation as I have blown it up, Sedan HH spoiler, Custom Seatcovers, dash cover and floor mats with the G6 Embroidery, Painted body color mirrors, wiper arms, both front grills, side skirts and rear facia all body color painted.

Last edited by jamestg6gt07; 10-15-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Legend

Garage
And to add. As far as the wams is concerned. They're specific to each engine. There's not a bunch of different ones just the one for your engine if that helps

And crabs definitely.

Magnaflow is a common choice of exhausts.

On top of that get a racingline strut tower bar and lower it to make it handle better with the added power.

Then your good as gold. Lol

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

The WAMS tune is GREAT, I love mine, you may have to do a key relearn and/or Crank sensor position relearn. The extra performance is worth the money.

Jet Performance does make a chip for the G6... but long story short, it's a waste of money, It'll work, for a short time, then it'll start throwing codes and the engine will start running like crap. You may even damage the PCM, The WAMS tune is written specifically to gain performance from 91 or 93 octane, the map is changed and the motor knows exactly what to do.

Would you happen to know which 3.5L you have? LX9 or LZ4
Easy way to check is your VIN. The 8th digit is the engine code? The LX9 is "8" and the LZ4 is "N" Reason I ask is because I believe there are headers and possibly cams available, but only for one of the two 3.5L motors.

I'm currently searching for where I found performance parts for the V6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
09 has the LZ4... and I agree with everything said in this post.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in