Custom Exhaust Help? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Custom Exhaust Help?

Hey all, I'm new to the forum so this is my first post . Im the fairly new owner of a black 2007 G6 GT convertible and so far I've blacked out all of the exterior lights, debadged it, painted the rims black and blacked out the red emblem on the front. My next thought is an exhaust system but I can't get myself to shell out 6-700 for a catback, I'd rather put together my own SO...

I like the sound of the Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, my question is if I weld one in place to go into dual exits what would I have to purchase to allow that, just an aftermarket valence? Also, I'd like to ditch the resonator(s?) So what size pipe would I need to fill in for them, is) diameter and length etc. Any help would be appreciated and I'd like to hear peoples input about other possibly better options. Thanks! =]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 PM
G6ADDICT

Garage
you can buy a dual valance off any gm website but there not cheap. you can keep an eye out on ebay but its a tough find. some people cut out there own valance. and as for the pipe size, the stock pipe size is 2.25'' but if you want some performance out of your exhaust upgrade to 2.5'' all the way from the flex pipe. any bigger and you might run into issues loosing back-pressure
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 PM

A lot of people swap out the resonator for a glasspack. Without it is said to sound raspy. I would look on youtube for sound clips with and without resonators.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Ok so say I buy the muffler. What inlet/outlet placement and sizing do I want? And with the glass packs, what size and what length?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM
G6ADDICT

Garage
its doesnt really matter what muffler you buy because your exhaust is going to be constom. most people either use two single in/single out mufflers from a y pipe or one single in/dual out muffler. i have the single in dual out and as for the glass pack it doesnt matter on that either, it whatever you like. your stock resonator is like 2 1/2 feet long so you can buy whatever size you like.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 08:49 PM

um a dual valance is 86 dollars. and this is my set up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaBaMC0MMIs

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87797
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 PM
G6ADDICT

Garage
UHMM where did you buy it
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:57 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I found valances for under $100 on GM parts direct
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 AM

exactly where crusin found one

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87797
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 AM

I used a 24" Cherry Bomb in place of the old resonator.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 01:52 PM
G6ADDICT

Garage
ah well I have the dual valance ground effects kit so I never looked up prices. I just figured it was another over priced gm part.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 04:41 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Nah the overpriced parts are the really small ones with moving parts that often break because they're made from flimsy plastic....
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

OK so say I were to upgrade the piping to 2.5", replace the res with a cherry bomb glass pack and replace the muffler with a single in dual out flow master super 40... can I get a straight blunt answer about EXACTLY what I'd need to buy? Hoping to order asap and I've been trying to do some research and I'm just getting frustrated haha. Install isn't a problem
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:35 AM

You need the cherry bomb, the flow master, and depending on the install, hangers for the new muffler, piping (and bends), a new coupler to attach to the flex tube at the front, and probably two new exhaust tips. If you don't want to cut you're existing valance, you'll need a new dual valance. If you want to stick with an easier cost and install, just keep the stock 2.25" piping and just replace the resonator and muffler, and add the two new tips. Are you looking for part numbers and or links for the parts?

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

That would be awesome actually but don't worry about it if its a lot of trouble. If I can keep it under $300 I'd upgrade all of it but I have a feeling that won't happen lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in