How much can a 05 G6 Trany handle? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

How much can a 05 G6 Trany handle?

Hey guys, idk if anyone can really answer this question but i wanted to ask before i spend a couple grand and then figure out my trany can't handle it. I wanted to see if i could get my 05 G6 GT to around 300hp, ideally 300 or higher, if i could, idk what other guys have their's running at, but i was wondering if my trany could take that stock? ik there is rebuild kits on ebay, but idk, will these help? and i really don't want to do all that work for a 300hp car :/. I was talking with friends and they guessed that the G6 trany would only take prob around 250 ish, was their guess and that can be surpassed with a CAI, a WAMS tune, LX9 OBX headers, catback exhaust, 8.2mm ignition cables and grounding kit (my plans for upgrades) if my math is right, not quite 300hp yet but I'm positive over 250 lol. So if anybody knows anything that may help please let me know!! I would really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 11:50 AM

tranny is rated for 200hp from the factory.. our cars put down 205-210hp from the factory.. clearly there is some wiggle room, however.. I can't imagine theres much
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I hear ya, I talked to my dad who is an automotive engineer. He said that engineers usually plan with a 40% safety net basically it should handle 40% more hp than stock. But that means like 330hp and idk that would be awesome and makes sense due to almost every other car can take more and also GM went through to make this car more sporty and be able to handle nicely. But idk aha thanks for your input and we will find out. If my trany let's go I'll let everyone know so no one else makes the same mistake aha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 AM

The 2008+ 3.5 V6 was detuned with 5 less horsepower because it exceeded the tranny's rating by an excessive amount. A heavier duty tranny was used in the GT trim I think.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellzie View Post
Yeah I hear ya, I talked to my dad who is an automotive engineer. He said that engineers usually plan with a 40% safety net basically it should handle 40% more hp than stock. But that means like 330hp and idk that would be awesome and makes sense due to almost every other car can take more and also GM went through to make this car more sporty and be able to handle nicely. But idk aha thanks for your input and we will find out. If my trany let's go I'll let everyone know so no one else makes the same mistake aha
not to be a prick.. but 40% added to the tranny rating puts it at 280 ft-lbs..

this would put it around 290 horse at 5500 rpms about 40 horse short of your thoughts.. just an fyi
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslcom View Post
The 2008+ 3.5 V6 was detuned with 5 less horsepower because it exceeded the tranny's rating by an excessive amount. A heavier duty tranny was used in the GT trim I think.

I hope so aha thanks for the info tho
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmessick View Post
not to be a prick.. but 40% added to the tranny rating puts it at 280 ft-lbs..

this would put it around 290 horse at 5500 rpms about 40 horse short of your thoughts.. just an fyi

Your right, I'm just an idiot because I actually meant to put 300 and was typing fast and hit 3 twice I guess but thanks for the catch and yeah 280-290 is more accurate and like I said we will see I got my wires on and my cold air almost (ran outa time so only got the front pipe on aha) and my exhaust shall come in soonish, sooo parts will be coming and if anything happens well... That's life aha
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

BOOM!! I dont think our stock tranny can take much more over stock.
Just the few things I have done feels like its pushing it. Or maybe at 180K its just
gotten tired. lol

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
BOOM!! I dont think our stock tranny can take much more over stock.
Just the few things I have done feels like its pushing it. Or maybe at 180K its just
gotten tired. lol

Can I ask what you have done with yours? Because mines at around 192k miles (310k kms). yours is an 05 right?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Yes....
intake, tune and exhaust is the bread and butter.

Nothing with the internals.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Nice, nice, thats pretty sweet! That's what I'm hoping for, just put my intake on and 8.2mm wires (I'll prob add pics to a progression thread soon) and next will be exhaust, then tune. Do you know what or around what hp your pushing?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 PM

What Lampoon said...the trans is one of the weakest links in the G6.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 10:16 PM

You could always just do a complete engine and trans swap...something else is bound to fit with minimal modifications (turbo'd ecotech maybe).
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I thought about that, not a bad Idea, but that'll be like 3 grand ish aha, prob just keep this as a daily driver, put on a few mods and buy a dif car for tuning
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM

GM transmissions aren't known for their quality at stock HP numbers. There are some things you can do to lengthen trans life with average bolt on mods. Ultimate heat is what blows transmissions. More HP allows the engine and transmission to spool up faster which generates more heat. The gears themselves can take a bit more than stock HP but it won't last long if you're running 1/4 miles all day. Adding a trans cooler can go a long way, but it merely prolongs the inevitable. Upgrading to stronger internals is the most viable solution. You're on the right track though, it's best to upgrade the driveline first before sinking cash into eking out more HP.

My GT is stock, I have a drop in Amsoil air filter but nothing that adds hp. I run full synthetic engine oil which frees up HP that would have otherwise been lost due to friction.

If you do plan to upgrade your transmission, look into getting a shorter final drive as that can be the equivalent to adding on 20-30hp with excellent response, although if you drive a lot of highway you'll lose some mpg due to the higher sustained highway rpm.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in