Modifications (Need advice) - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Question Modifications (Need advice)

Hi everyone ! I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx SS which is a close sister of the G6 GT-P, and I've got some questions about possible mods.

First, the cold air intake sold by «chromeintakes» on eBay : Is it worth the money and safe ? Is Crabs intake way better ?

Second, WAMS reprogrammation : If you have modifications like an exhaust line, a cold air intake, is it possible that they tune the ECU for a maximum power output with these parts, or is it the same whatever your car has mods or not ?

Third : Are there other mods, like fuel injectors, roller rocker arms or other thing that would be usefull ?

My engine is the 3.9 liters VVT. Thanks a lot for your help !

DelHuge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:17 PM

Don't cheap out on your intake, you get what you pay for. Crabs is definitely the best! And the WAMS tune is set up for the Crabs intake

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your comment !

Another question concerning the MAF sold by Jet Performance : Is it actually a good upgrade ? Did someone tried it ?

And finally, I found a 2006 Pontiac G6 for sale, manual transmission with 152 000 kilometers on the odometer. If I decide to buy it, what is important to look at before doing the move ? I know about crank seal issues and front brakes. Is there other thing (like clutch) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Jet Maf was shown to put the computer into burst mode which causes it to retard
the setting to prevent further damage....as your computer thinks something was damaged.

So its a big step backward.

Im not sure what your question is about the 06....are you wanting to do an engine swap?
Im guessing its the 3.5? They are pretty bulletproof. If its the original owner, find out if they ever changed the tranny fluid. If they didnt then dont you change it! Too many miles. It will expand things and your tranny will break down. If they did then keep up the fluid change cycle.

new plugs if they havent already.

As for intakes. I'd stay away from Crabs....they itch!
There are a few people with the old NTake intake which is now rebranded as Chrome intakes on ebay. There are mixed reviews on them. I think that is why they changed their name. lol

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession

Last edited by Lampoon; 03-27-2014 at 08:56 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
Jet Maf was shown to put the computer into burst mode which causes it to retard
the setting to prevent further damage....as your computer thinks something was damaged.

So its a big step backward.

Im not sure what your question is about the 06....are you wanting to do an engine swap?
Im guessing its the 3.5? They are pretty bulletproof. If its the original owner, find out if they ever changed the tranny fluid. If they didnt then dont you change it! Too many miles. It will expand things and your tranny will break down. If they did then keep up the fluid change cycle.

new plugs if they havent already.

As for intakes. I'd stay away from Crabs....they itch!
There are a few people with the old NTake intake which is now rebranded as Chrome intakes on ebay. There are mixed reviews on them. I think that is why they changed their name. lol
It's a G6 GT-P. It is not for a swap, since it's the same 3.9 liters as my Malibu, and I don't think that swapping the transmission would be a good idea... I would probably sell my Chevy and get the G6 GT-P, which is the same millage. As for the manual transmission, saw on internet that there is no need of oil change (in a normal use), so what do you thing ?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:55 AM

Oops....forgot you said it was a stick. So you want TWO G6's?

MODS:

My Progession
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
Oops....forgot you said it was a stick. So you want TWO G6's?
Actually, I only got a Malibu Maxx SS. I am interested in a G6 because it is avalaible with a six speed manual. But I went to see the one I found, and it has a check engine light on and the driver information center says "service airbags", so it's not a good idea... Will wait for the next one to show up !
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Does your SS have an intake? Exhaust? Tune? Wheels?
What have you done to it?? Pix?

MODS:

My Progession
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

It is actually fully stock, exept the last owner change the original 18 inchs wheels for 17 inchs... (Looking to fix that as soon as I can). I will post some pics soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in