Help going dual exhaust - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Help going dual exhaust

Hey everyone. The next upgrade I want to do on my g6 are dual exhaust pipes. I won't be able to do it until summer again (in college right now too busy) but I've been doing my research now and I just have a few questions to clarify things and increase my knowledge. The first question is, what are all the things I need? From what I've gathered, I need a muffler, valence, and I want a glasspack to replace the resonator. Am I missing anything? If your answer to that question is no, then it brings up my next question.. I looked online and single in and dual outlet mufflers look like they would create two exhaust tips on one side of your bumper, instead of one exhaust tip on each side(hope you understand what I'm saying).. Is that true or am I looking at the wrong thing? While I'm at it can someone recommend some mufflers? And don't put me down too much I've never been taught about cars and how to work on them. I've been trying to learn myself through research and using my first car as a learning experience so when I get a sports car I can really do some performance work. Thanks for any and all help! Also what cost range am I looking at to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

umm was my question too long and nobody feels like answering? If so, my bad.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM

Location: Marine Corps Air Station New River, Jacksonville, NC

Your question was perfect. I personally like Magnaflow products and i will give you a few links here. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=12032 this would work perfectly in a g6 with the way the current muffler is mounted in there. And for the glasspack as a resonator that would not be difficult. Just measure the resonator and find a glass pack that is the same size. Find a muffler shop around you that would put all this on for you. When i replaced my stock muffler with a cherry bomb glasspack, a shop charged me $60 to do the replacement. It sounded okay but not nearly what i was looking for. you could also do something like this if you want it a little bit louder, http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=12375

hope that all that info helps!

2008 Pontiac G6 Base Sedan 3.5L VVT White Diamond Tricoat
Mods: Window tint 20% all around besides front, 2009.5 spoiler, Eagle Eyes, OPT7 55W 5000K Low beam, OPT7 35W 3000K Fogs, Recessed grills dipped black, Interior trim pieces red to match lights, Wheels primed and painted flat black (powdercoat soon), custom side exit exhaust with magnaflow performance tip, Roof Spoiler, Racingline STB, Chevy Caprice Push Bumper Custom Mounted, Plasti dipped door handles, door trim, and fuel door.
Mods to come: OPT7 55W 5000K High beam, OBX Cat-back with electric cutout, Pedders Lowering Springs, Powdercoat Rims (Gloss Black), 2009.5 spoiler color matched, MPD hood, GM Ground Effects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Wiz... you're the man! Should have known my fellow North Carolinian would help me out haha. Thanks I really appreciate it. And when you say you replaced your muffler with the glass pack do you mean the actual muffler or the resonator?? Was the sound too quiet for you or the sound itself wasn't clean? Btw your car looks nice in your signature I'm bout to check out your progression thread!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 06:23 PM

Location: Marine Corps Air Station New River, Jacksonville, NC

the actual muffler was replaced with a 12" cherrybomb glasspack. i dont have any pics anymore though :/. It wasn't loud enough for me so i decided to recruit a buddy of mine with a welder to help go custom. I cut off everything after the cat and then pieced together this one.

2008 Pontiac G6 Base Sedan 3.5L VVT White Diamond Tricoat
Mods: Window tint 20% all around besides front, 2009.5 spoiler, Eagle Eyes, OPT7 55W 5000K Low beam, OPT7 35W 3000K Fogs, Recessed grills dipped black, Interior trim pieces red to match lights, Wheels primed and painted flat black (powdercoat soon), custom side exit exhaust with magnaflow performance tip, Roof Spoiler, Racingline STB, Chevy Caprice Push Bumper Custom Mounted, Plasti dipped door handles, door trim, and fuel door.
Mods to come: OPT7 55W 5000K High beam, OBX Cat-back with electric cutout, Pedders Lowering Springs, Powdercoat Rims (Gloss Black), 2009.5 spoiler color matched, MPD hood, GM Ground Effects
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

ahhh ok. So do I need 2.5" diameter for the glasspack replacing the resonator?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

2.5" to 2.5" on the flowthrough (to replace resonator)....dont go over 4" in circumference or you will have clearance issues. I know....I originally bought a 6"....BANG BANG BANG over every bump.

Single in dual out on thw back muffler.

Get the GTP dual out back valance - that way you got room for both tips.
They run about $80 last I saw. Need the part number?

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

6" just sounds over the top haha. Is there any advantage going 3"-4" over 2.5"? Also, where did you last see them for $80?? and is this the right one? #22712778
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

I think you misunderstand. The pipe is 2.5 inches but the diameter of the muffler was 6 inches. Just don't go over 4" circumference on the muffler...the pipe should still be 2.5 in to 2.5 out.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I was just back on the site looking at it again I understand now. Thanks man!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 07:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
yeah that's the right number

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Hey Wiz can you put up the link to the first muffler you suggested to me? The link takes me to a different product now. Thanks man. and thank you too waterfowler!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

wait I think I found it... Is it 14277??
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, Hottexhaust ran out of the exhaust I ordered.. Magnaflow 14277.. but the support guy said these are similar.. would either work for the dual set up I'm going for?
http://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflow_12265
or
http://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflow_14266
As always, thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in