Does your "Cold Air Intake" (CAI) help? - Page 3 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 PM

i was curious does installing a cai mess with the computer at all?
or is it just a throw on part that helps everything mpg bhp & torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Computer adjusts to the added easier air which in turn helps everything...as you say.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #33 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts5831 View Post
i just bought a k&n cone filter to put on the end of my current exhaust system and i must say that my gas milage went down 75 miles a tank!!
LMFAO!!!!!!! Sorry but i never get a good laugh on these forums but this tops everything!!!

I NEED CRABS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Varsity Squad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts5831 View Post
i just bought a k&n cone filter to put on the end of my current exhaust system and i must say that my gas milage went down 75 miles a tank!! i had alot more get up and go, but im guessing that all the hot engine air was affecting my MPG's.... i cant wait to get a ram air hood now!!!
Keep your foot out of it... I had an increase of mpg's when I stuck a cone filter on the end of my INTAKE TUBE, and then made a cold air box for it got even better. I recently relocated it into the bumper to get it completly away from the engine heat, really did not change anything (mpgs or performance) but I like how it looks better so I'm leaving it there.
post #35 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
With all the intakes out there you would still need to remove your old one which means also removing the resonator in the quarter panel. That will unblock your 4" round hole in your quarter and allow the airflow to enter the front and fill the quarter, with the air exiting up top into your box. You can even funnel it from the bottom of your car up to your box like a snorkel to make a lower ram air without a hood.
Do a search on google for "G6 Tiger Crab" and read a free How To all about that!
Sooo, i read your post on g6performance and would be very interested in this project. If i buy option #3 could you include the parts for the tiger grab (except paint/primer)?

Current Mods:
07 G6 GT White, 84K, 35% Tint, 8k HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Tails, DRL Delete, DexCool Delete (is that a mod?) Eibach Springs, EBC Brakes, Orange Calipers, De-Badged, Front Tower Strut Bar, Painted Engine/Battery Covers, CRABS Opt# 3, "Tiger CRAB Ram Air", Custom Catback stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25" tubing with purforated rez and free flow muffler.

Coming Soon:
18" rollers, LED red interior lighting, LED tails, Complete Audio System Renovation as I have blown it up, Sedan HH spoiler, Custom Seatcovers, dash cover and floor mats with the G6 Embroidery, Painted body color mirrors, wiper arms, both front grills, side skirts and rear facia all body color painted.
post #36 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:30 PM

The tiger crab thread shows you what the parts are and what is needed
AND where to buy them.

Its a do it yourself. I dont have those parts....except for the one on my car!!

MODS:

My Progession
post #37 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 PM

Alrighty Then! I will contact you when the time comes to purchase my crab intake! Until then, i will construct that tiger grab thing!!!!

Current Mods:
07 G6 GT White, 84K, 35% Tint, 8k HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Tails, DRL Delete, DexCool Delete (is that a mod?) Eibach Springs, EBC Brakes, Orange Calipers, De-Badged, Front Tower Strut Bar, Painted Engine/Battery Covers, CRABS Opt# 3, "Tiger CRAB Ram Air", Custom Catback stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25" tubing with purforated rez and free flow muffler.

Coming Soon:
18" rollers, LED red interior lighting, LED tails, Complete Audio System Renovation as I have blown it up, Sedan HH spoiler, Custom Seatcovers, dash cover and floor mats with the G6 Embroidery, Painted body color mirrors, wiper arms, both front grills, side skirts and rear facia all body color painted.
post #38 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:23 AM

I even posted a PDF of a scale outline of the mouth. Easy cheesy!!

Crabs are not something to be taken lightly!! Use caution!!!! THEY ITCH!!

lol

MODS:

My Progession
post #39 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:19 AM
CrAzY Moderator

Quote:
I even posted a PDF of a scale outline of the mouth. Easy cheesy!!

Crabs are not something to be taken lightly!! Use caution!!!! THEY ITCH!!

lol

And if you have short arms and cant reach. Your screwed!

.~*Crazy J*~.

Appearance: Debadged, Black Overlays, LLumar 35% Windshield The Rest Are 15%, LED RL/BL, Fogs Lows and Highs are 8000K HIDS, G6 Vinyl Door Jam G6 Logo Covers, Custom Engine Bay Painting, Black Recessed Upper Grill, Red Caliper Painting, Tinted Tail Lights, Flexline Interior Lighting W/Remote.

Performance: Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, K&N CAI, Custom Strut Tower Bar.

System: Complete Kicker System (Tweeters, 6x9's, 6 1/2's, 2-12" CVX Subs, 1000 Watt Kicker Sub Amp, 350 Watt Kicker Internal Speakers Amp), JVC KW-AVX830.

Security: 5900 Series Viper Car Alarm, Custom Painted Remote
post #40 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 PM

I thought of doing this mod before even reading this. I somewhat did it in a previous vehicle. I had the cone down inside the fender and had a scoop going to it as well as cutting a bunch where the fog lights were supposed to go.
post #41 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM

G6 tiger grab 99.9% complete. Need to fabricate the "scoop" and paint my tiger lol. My intake parts should be here friday. All polished mandrel bent aluminum tubes!

For the "do it your selfers" the G6 tiger grab construction is bumpy territory. The first hard part is removing your headlight for the first time, second, removing the overly sized worthless air resonator which took forever (would have been great to have directions on easy removal, so i kept thinking how the hell i was going to get it out lol), cutting a hole with a jigsaw on very flimsy plastic (talk about a pain in the butt. Its looks easier than doing it yourself). But, as always, hard work will pay off!!!!!

Pooners, if i cant successfully fabricate a CAB for my intake, you will be my knight in shinning armor!

Gotta go get the materials for my TIGER MOUTH! Grrrr!

Tootles!

Current Mods:

Coming Soon:

Last edited by jamestg6gt07; 09-02-2009 at 02:38 PM.
post #42 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz12285 View Post
I thought of doing this mod before even reading this. I somewhat did it in a previous vehicle. I had the cone down inside the fender and had a scoop going to it as well as cutting a bunch where the fog lights were supposed to go.
So you thought of it eh? ha haaa....Ok. Lets all give credit to the Fuzzman.

This mod has been done a good dozen times....to include a forward pipe to the grills and one that did go to the fog hole.

I still think mine works and looks the best. I love it when people are next to me and look down at the tiger's mouth.

MODS:

My Progession
post #43 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I still think mine works and looks the best. I love it when people are next to me and look down at the tiger's mouth.
It is the best! I havent finished the scoop yet and i still have the factory air box. So when i had to put it all back together and drove to work, my mpg's noticably increased maybe 7-10 miles to the gal! Just wait til i get it all said and done i'll be averagn 30+!

Current Mods:

Coming Soon:
post #44 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 AM

when you buy an intake such as the typhoon system does it come with a new mass air flow sensor or so you use your exhisting one.
is the typhoon system a 4" dia. system ?
how about the crab systems are they 4" ?
is there that bigof a difference betweenm a 4" system ans a 3" diamater system ?
post #45 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killian238 View Post
..does it come with a new mass air flow sensor or so you use your exhisting one...
Existing

Quote:
...is the typhoon system a 4" dia. system ?
how about the crab systems are they 4" ?..
no....2.7" last time I measured. Someone with a relatively new one measure and chime in.

Quote:
...how about the crab systems are they 4" ?...
No. It is 3"

Quote:
...is there that bigof a difference betweenm a 4" system ans a 3" diamater system ?
There are no 4" systems. Your Throttle body is only 3" so over 3" would be a funnel that would produce added back pressure.

Clear as mud?

MODS:

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in