Airbox tube - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Airbox tube

I've started to lightly mod the car. By now everyone must know my opionion about the stock airbox being good with the 5 inch fender air hole through the bottom. Well, today I pulled out the passenger side headlight assembly to gain access to the airbox intake tube/resonator and pulled it out. As the pic below shows it is somewhat restrictive with the resonator bellows. After I removed it, I test drove the car. Right off the bat the engine sounded a tad deeper at idle. When I took it out on the street and gave it WOT, it responded with a very nice (almost v-8) growl, just as a CAI would do. It also has more pulling power as well. My K&N panel filter will be here Monday from Fox Performance so it should be even better after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	res.jpg
Views:	2067
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	116  

Last edited by Explr1; 07-15-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 06:00 AM

You left out both items? What exactly is the bottom piece?
What is attached to the top tube as well?
If it gains more power it should gain more MPG, correct?
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

I was going to just cut off the bellows and put the pipe back in, but I left everything out. The piece in the bottom of the pic was another resonator bellow that was attached to the pipe. I had to cut it off with a dremmel to pull everything up through the top. The resonator bellows are huge and really did a great job at quieting the engine down. Yes, the MPG should go up as well. But I find myself giving it WOT a lot more to hear the engine now. It really sounds a lot better.

Last edited by Explr1; 07-16-2005 at 06:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 07:00 AM
night rider

How hard was it in taking out the passenger side headlight assebly? allso did you leave the air filter box, and averything else there, and just take out what was behind the light. I am going to look at doing this Monday as soon as I get outa bed!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

I just removed the pipe/bellows in the picture. Taking out the headlight is very easy, just remove the two top screws of the light housing and the top plastic pop out fasteners for the front bumper fascia. You have to pull the fascia forward in order to get the light housing out, (see the owners manual for replacing headlight bulbs for a diagram of the fascia) be careful doing this as you don't want to damage the fascia. When you get the light housing out, all you do is push the airbox intake tube down to disconnect it from the airbox, then pull it to the left to disengage it from the two fasteners. Now you can either dremmel or hacksaw the large resonator bellow off and pull everything through the top, or remove the plastic shields/airdam from the bottom of the bumper/engine and pull it out from below which will take 15 minutes to do, compared to cutting the one piece off will take only five.
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:12 AM
night rider

ok when you do all of this will the factory air box still work without the two things I remove????
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Yes, the airbox itself is still 100% intact. By removing the intake tube/bellows, your just letting more air in the airbox and also allowing more of the engine "sucking in air" to be heard.
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:57 AM
night rider

ok I dont want to sound dum if I allready have sorry LOL, after I take the two parts out what rejoins to the botom of the air box?????
post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Nothing, the airbox (top and bottom) is secured to the right front fender. The air intake tube located in the fender well area is attached to the bottom of the airbox through a hole in the fender. After you remove the tube, the airbox will be taking in a larger unrestricted amount of air from the fender well area through the existing fender well hole.

You can go to Air intake system G6 and see the diagram of the intake system and how everything is attached.

Last edited by Explr1; 07-17-2005 at 11:32 AM.
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 AM
night rider

oww ok I see,and the two parts that need to be removed are direcly behind the passenger headlight correct
post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

yes, they are.
post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 01:29 PM
night rider

dude I did it and it sounds a little deeper at a stand still, and when I get into it on the road after 2nd gear it gets quit agian. I hope this helps the engine run a little cooler it allways runs at 200*F, how much horse pawer do you think you gain from doing this???
post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless
dude I did it and it sounds a little deeper at a stand still, and when I get into it on the road after 2nd gear it gets quit agian. I hope this helps the engine run a little cooler it allways runs at 200*F, how much horse pawer do you think you gain from doing this???
There is no real HP gain, just better throttle response and more sound.

Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Yes, just better throtlle response and more sound. I put the K&N panel filter in so maybe 3 or 4 hp if you can believe K&N's claims and if I'm lucky. I did it purely for sound and a little better pick up. On a side note, I did notice my MPG went from 18 to 21 with the AC on which is an improvement, so I'm happy about that.
post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 08:58 AM

OK, I did mine Yesterday....a few things....

1) If your like me and want to avoid a problem if something was to happen with the MAF or anything with induction and you wont want crap from the dealer about warranty issues, then DO NOT cut or dremel the pieces. When removing it, just removing the clips from the right front fender and it will give it plenty of play to pull it all out in one piece so it can be put back in.

2) I didn't notice any difference at idol for sound.....I really dono how you got a v8 sound, it doesnt sound like my v8 I did notice a much deeper tone at WOT at lower RPM's and a loud sucking noise in between gears, along with the transmission squeal. You wont notice a power gain, its a very minimal mod, but its worth it to do.

If anyone needs help, PM me

- 05 Pontiac G6 GT - Granite Metalic
- Stock

- 88 Mustang GT Hatchback
- 306 with some goodies...
- 13.15 @ 106.97 on street tires
- Shooting for 10.9xx with the new cam, ported heads/intake, slicks and a 150 shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in