GM Tech Systems or HPT - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

GM Tech Systems or HPT

I've been doing some research and have come up with very little as far as tuning hardware/software for these cars, and I know that WAMS is no longer an option since they have stopped supporting the G6. I also know that HPTuners isn't the best for this platform, but is that my only option?

My other question, is, is it possible to tune with a GM tech 2 or 3 tool? I know they will allow me to access the speed limiter (which has already been done on mine thanks to a friend) and a few other things like reprogramming a stereo unit or key fobs, but what about engine management?

I have access to the programming and tuning knowledge that's needed, just wanting to know what will be the best way to apply it. The one advantage I have is the ability to do about 90% of the work myself, and the other 10% would come from friends that own shops and are willing to help after-hours with the more complicated stuff.

And I'm well aware of the challenges that come with trying to squeeze more performance from these cars. I think those challenges are the very reason I want to modify it in the first place. There's a lot of room left to be the first to do a lot of things to it. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:25 AM

Tech2 cannot tune. All you can do is flash new configurations to existing modules... so like, if you've got a 2006 or earlier with the sloppy TCM config (long 1-2, 2-3), you can flash the new config to tighten up shifts. You can verify available configurations flashable with a Tech2 here: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web... just enter your VIN into the box and choose "all" rather than a specific subsystem... you'll get a full-system report there.

No such thing as a tech3 that I'm aware of. You may mean an MDI or MDI2... but the only thing they get you is Tech2Win, and the added option of doing a fast TCM relearn after wiping the adapt tables. Tech2 is handier... but still... won't work for your needs.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 PM

Do you need the obd cable to re flash your tcm?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 PM

You need the Tech2 with an OBD-II cable, and a Tis2Web or Tis2000 install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in