k&n filter help - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

k&n filter help

I was wondering where you can buy the K&N filter for my G6 from. All of the places that I checked didn't have them in stock yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrossi1
I was wondering where you can buy the K&N filter for my G6 from. All of the places that I checked didn't have them in stock yet.
K&N lists several online retailers for their filters. A couple of them list the 33-2315, one is several dollars cheaper than the other.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 10:51 PM

that's the one!

make sure they don't send you the 2135... that's what they did to me... bah

once i got the right one, went in real easy and i definitely notice an increase in power... although i'm still stuck with crappy winter mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:43 AM

Does anyone know if the same K&N filter fits both the 3.5 and 3.9 engines?

Mike
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Designed For Action

Some K & N info.
Attached Files
File Type: doc KN filter doc.doc (71.0 KB, 246 views)

Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 08:33 PM

I have a question that is just boggling my head... I recently purchased a K&N air filter for my '05 G6. When I installed the filter I took my car for a test run and noticed that the car would jerk shifting into different gears. I also noticed my "check engine light" came on. I was wondering if anyone else had this same problem, if it is a common problem (or even a problem at all) and what I can do to eliminate this problem?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:58 PM

Little late but try disconnecting the battery and see if that helps, since it will reset the comp and relearn everything. You just need to pull the neg terminal, it shouldn't throw a code normally. Unless you got it sorted out.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 AM

Anyone know exactly how much HP is gained by adding a K&N? Because even if its only 3-5 HP, the $58 price tag seems worth it to me to have a superior air filter, I mean how much is a top of the life Fram? $20, $25? Might as well spend a bit more and get a MUCH better filter.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 AM

i've never noticed an increase in power with aftermarket filters or intakes. i would guess the gain is next to nothing but i don't know of anyone who dyno'd before and after a simple filter swap.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 02:38 PM

I think getting a real HP increase from one brand to another brand of filter element is. K & N s are okay because they are reuseable, but think about the physics here- More airflow by definition means a less-restriction (Read: not as good at filtering). Significant HP can be gained by changing the airbox design (eg. a CAI). Cold air is denser, and the design usually allows more air to be sucked in without a loss in filtration. But one brand's air filter vs another brands' in the same airbox assembly should not make much of a difference. More airflow = less filtration in that case. I wouldn't buy a K & N filter element just to put it in the stock airbox, especially since the original air filter is good for 40 or 50 K according to the owner's manual (unless you use your G6 for dirt-track racing...) I upgraded to a CAI on my V6 Probe, and I did notice a slight jump in HP.
But the biggest, cheapest HP gain I got bang for buck-wise was buying an aftermarket underdrive crankshaft pulley on eBay ($75) vs $350 for the stock replacement from the Ford stealer when mine needed replacement. I swear, that got me 10-15 HP easily, and I saved $275. The car had 100K on it when I did that mod, and it was stupid fast compared even to when the car was new.
Question: can an underdrive crankshaft pulley work on the OHV 3.9L, or does using an underdrive crankshaft pulley only work with OHC engines like on my Probe GT and the new 3.6L in the G6? I can't remember. The theory is that less mass/resistence on the smaller-diameter, lighter pulley allows the engine to rev with less resistence. The downside can be undercharging of the battery by the alternator and underperformance of other belt-driven components, although I didn't have any problems. Anyone know more about this?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 02:50 PM

an underdrive pulley will work on any engine. it doesn't really "create" horsepower so to speak, it just frees up more of the power the engine is already producing. i put a 2 piece pulley set on my jimmy and noticed a little difference without any of the charging problems you are talking about. all in all i was pretty happy with it.

and it doesn't have anything to do with the mass/resistance of the pulley. it's the simple fact that the smaller pulley will spin at a different speed than the larger pulley. same idea as swapping a s/c pulley.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:29 PM

OK so if im installing a new K&N filter (33-2315) do i have to disconnect the batt to reset the cars computer? Also im hearing that the oil from K&N filters can damage some sensor...HELP! Want the facts before i drop $50 on this filter. I HATE seeing the check engine light!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:38 PM

My advice really is to stick with a regular (cheap & durable) filter element unless changing the intake box entirely. And I have heard that people who overoil the K & N filters have reported lots of emissions problems, but if you follow the instructions, shouldn't be a problem. And don't get me wrong- I put a K & N element in the stock airbox of my '75 Porsche 914. It works fine, but I noticed no performance improvement. If I had it to do over, I'd just put a good quality (Purolator) air filter in (less than $10) and change it when it gets dirty with another $10 filter.
Re the underdrive pulley, I used one of bilett aluminum and it weighed half of what the stock one did, and spun faster because of the smaller diameter. Maybe I wasn't clear. Very much like unsprung weight on wheels, and how smaller-diameter, lighter wheels/tires result in an increase in quickness and a reduced top speed.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 PM

Thanks mphred, any ieda if the cars computer needs to be reset after installing a K&N filter?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:54 PM

I would watch the DIC for errors. If there is a big enough increase in airflow, I guess the emissions system could throw a code. Interfire suggested disconnecting the neg terminal on the battery if a malfunction presents, allowing the computer to recalibrate itself to the new, increased airflow which it will use to adjust the fuel delivery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in