Top Speed Increase? - Page 2 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=otcpharm]My GT tops out at about 135. That's nowhere near a V speed rating, but the engine stops there anyway. (It feels like a fuel cutoff that restarts when the speed drops back to 130.)
QUOTE]

I'm a little curious now. Did it feel like there was still room to go or was it pretty much topped out by then? H's are around 130 I think? So the V's make sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 03:08 PM

I could tell you right now will only 200hp and the aeros we have... your going to top around 135~140mph... The "invisible wall" will definately be stopping you from getting much further.
post #18 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

At 110 my G just feels like that's all it has....doesn't shut off and sound like it's dying for air, the way my Ranger used to do. That thing would shut down similar to the way the Camaro was referenced doing, without the braking. Then about 85, it'd find new life.

110 is fun, but I really want 115 or 120. Just once, maybe twice a year. Is that too much to ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 04:02 PM

The reason it sits at 110 is the computer has direct throttle control (since the pedal is simply an electric switch). On older cars (and the camaro) a physical connection from the pedal to the throttle body prevents the computer from limiting your speed like that.
post #20 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branderson
I'm a little curious now. Did it feel like there was still room to go or was it pretty much topped out by then? H's are around 130 I think? So the V's make sense.
No, it didn't feel like it had much left. From 130 to 135 seemed to take forever - it just creeped slowly up.

And S8ER99 is correct in that our relatively limited HP doesn't allow us to go much past 135 anyway.
post #21 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 09:19 PM

yeah...I was thinking back to the mustang and its 215hp... it was topped out just shy of 140..with NOTHING left.....
post #22 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otcpharm
Yeah, we've got a really nice track out here.

It's called I-70!

When you get out of the city heading west, every few miles you'll hit a straight stretch that's about two miles long - straight as an arrow with a clean line of sight. (if you look hard enough on a clear day, sometimes you can see Colorado)

Ah, Kansas - flatter than a pancake. And fewer state troopers per mile of highway than most other states in the union.
we've got an "I-70" Raceway here in indy too. down side is that you tend to get 'red flagged' alot by the 'officials' and they tend to fine you and ADD points....not good. but hey, we sometimes just have to 'go with the flow'...
post #23 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Action
we've got an "I-70" Raceway here in indy too. down side is that you tend to get 'red flagged' alot by the 'officials' and they tend to fine you and ADD points....not good. but hey, we sometimes just have to 'go with the flow'...
I like 465 better ITs even shaped like a race track.
post #24 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 03:07 PM

We have a bridge we call the I-100... Its actually I-80 but every morning we would leave the Iowa ramp WOT until we hit 120~130mph and were slowing down for the other ramp just acrossed the river.
post #25 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:12 AM

Speed limiters are simple. Depending on the vehicle. Some cars you can snip a wire, others you need an FCD (Fuel Cut Defenser) which is more commonly used on forced induction vehicles. But simply by eliminating the signal of excessive speed to the ECU can we eliminate speed restrictions. Not necessarily removing your speed sensor because of course you need that. I am in the process sometime this week in locating a wire diagram, and an ECU layout to see where exactly I can make this "snip" So you will all be informed when I find out, because im not about to be doing 135+ and have my car shut off.
jeff
post #26 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 02:39 PM

It takes a while to get there... so its not a big issue once you get to it. Chances are your acceleration will be slow enough you might not even notice it for a few moments.
post #27 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
Speed limiters are simple. Depending on the vehicle. Some cars you can snip a wire, others you need an FCD (Fuel Cut Defenser) which is more commonly used on forced induction vehicles. But simply by eliminating the signal of excessive speed to the ECU can we eliminate speed restrictions. Not necessarily removing your speed sensor because of course you need that. I am in the process sometime this week in locating a wire diagram, and an ECU layout to see where exactly I can make this "snip" So you will all be informed when I find out, because im not about to be doing 135+ and have my car shut off.
jeff
Good luck. I'm not to optimistic on this solution. There is no input into the PCM that tells it when to activate the governor, it uses inputs and decides when to activate it. There is no wire you can simply snip without affecting a great many things.
post #28 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 06:40 PM

why not just get a programmer and change it? might be expensive but sure beats trying to explain to ur dealer how a wire got snipped when u need the job warrentied lol
post #29 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:10 PM

all depends on the PCM, inputs and outputs. Ill know for sure when I look into it,
jeff
post #30 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyRed
why not just get a programmer and change it? might be expensive but sure beats trying to explain to ur dealer how a wire got snipped when u need the job warrentied lol
Because there is currently no programers avalable for the G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
all depends on the PCM, inputs and outputs. Ill know for sure when I look into it,
jeff
I can tell you right now that there is no input into the PCM strictly for the governor. Its part of the PCM program, it takes inputs from the speed sensor, tac sig, trans gear, ect. and determines when its reaching injector cutoff. the govenor is just an extention of torque abuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in