Top Speed Increase? - Page 3 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrider
Because there is currently no programers avalable for the G6

I can tell you right now that there is no input into the PCM strictly for the governor. Its part of the PCM program, it takes inputs from the speed sensor, tac sig, trans gear, ect. and determines when its reaching injector cutoff. the govenor is just an extention of torque abuse.
regaurdless a signal is sent from the PCM the PCM alone does not make the cars governor kick in, even if its internally within the PCM that compononent has some sort of length of travel to make to another component to the tell the vehicle to give fuel-cut.
jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
regaurdless a signal is sent from the PCM the PCM alone does not make the cars governor kick in, even if its internally within the PCM that compononent has some sort of length of travel to make to another component to the tell the vehicle to give fuel-cut.
jeff
I think you're going to be disappointed when you start to tear into this.

The G6 doesn't follow any of the rules that we've come to expect from any other GM product out there.
post #33 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
jeff
Actualy it does. I've explained it the best I can, I think you're going to find this out soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:47 PM

Yeah, I don't think there is going to be some "snip" to remove any governer. I think Blackrider is correct, the vehicle simply uses existing sensors and the computer is programmed to not allow the car to exceed a certain speed. Pretty sure most modern cars are like this.This might be incorrect, but I would be VERY, VERY surprised if there was dedicated wiring for some sort of speed limiting feature.
post #35 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 03:19 PM

im not saying its going to be necessarily a snip. But it is going to be accomplished, I have found two companies so far who build PCM upgrades for GM vehicles and I have emailed both of them regaurding our vehicle for higher perameters on all levels, and to include...no fuel cut. so I am just waiting for a response, and if they dont want to build one or whatever, im just going to buy one cause they only cost $400 from sites I have seen I will send it in for a custom job. Depending of course if they need to operate on the same level as the BCM and ingnition system like the 01+ grandams, so I would have to take mine out and send it to them.
jeff
post #36 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 03:38 PM

Quote:
im not saying its going to be necessarily a snip. But it is going to be accomplished, I have found two companies so far who build PCM upgrades for GM vehicles and I have emailed both of them regaurding our vehicle for higher perameters on all levels, and to include...no fuel cut. so I am just waiting for a response, and if they dont want to build one or whatever, im just going to buy one cause they only cost $400 from sites I have seen I will send it in for a custom job. Depending of course if they need to operate on the same level as the BCM and ingnition system like the 01+ grandams, so I would have to take mine out and send it to them.
jeff
I never said it was impossible, I just said there was no physical way you can do it. DHP removes the Governors in all their entry level PCM's

Its all programing!

As I said DHP is working on PCM's for the G6.

Last edited by Blackrider; 12-28-2005 at 03:40 PM.
post #37 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 04:43 PM

Technically we do not even have a 'fuel cut'... the car just sits against the set parameters from the PCM tables... Just a programming issue...chances are its just using the vehicles speed sensor (same feed as the speedo).
post #38 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 07:56 PM

Double check on this but some of GM's vehicles the VSS or vehicle speed sense wire is Green/White located at several points in the vehicle. It should be at the instrument panel for the speedo, behind the radio for speed controlled volume, and apparently at the PCM or Powertrain control module. You maybe able just to cut it and put a hidden overide switch near the PCM to remove the speed signal from the PCM and still retain your speedometer. If this car is equipped with the class II data bus system which it should be (you can tell if the door chime comes from the left front speaker) the speed pulse maybe carried down the Purple/White or data wire at the OBD II connector. If that is the case you may be SOL.
post #39 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Double check on this but some of GM's vehicles the VSS or vehicle speed sense wire is Green/White located at several points in the vehicle. It should be at the instrument panel for the speedo, behind the radio for speed controlled volume, and apparently at the PCM or Powertrain control module. You maybe able just to cut it and put a hidden overide switch near the PCM to remove the speed signal from the PCM and still retain your speedometer. If this car is equipped with the class II data bus system which it should be (you can tell if the door chime comes from the left front speaker) the speed pulse maybe carried down the Purple/White or data wire at the OBD II connector. If that is the case you may be SOL.
But thats what i'm saying the PCM NEEDS to know the speed of the car such things as the tranny use that input.
post #40 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:
If this car is equipped with the class II data bus system which it should be (you can tell if the door chime comes from the left front speaker) the speed pulse maybe carried down the Purple/White or data wire at the OBD II connector. If that is the case you may be SOL.
Actually, you can tell if this car is OBDII by checking the year it was built. If it was built after 1996, then it's OBDII.

However, they jumped in early and implemented the newer CAN bus protocol (to be mandatory by 2008). New hardware and software required to do diagnostics on CAN, so I wouldn't be too quick to try to apply things that worked on older models.
post #41 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrider
But thats what i'm saying the PCM NEEDS to know the speed of the car such things as the tranny use that input.
Very good point. I know on my Z shift points were all controlled by MPH and not RPM or any other variable. If that was the case you may also risk sending the PCM 0 MPH and having it dump into first gear. (doubtful..but possible in theory)
post #42 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER99
Very good point. I know on my Z shift points were all controlled by MPH and not RPM or any other variable. If that was the case you may also risk sending the PCM 0 MPH and having it dump into first gear. (doubtful..but possible in theory)
I'm pretty sure it needs both, I know on GM's it does anyways. Nissan might have a different system.
post #43 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:36 PM

I did my own tuning I won't claim all GMs do..but I know my car calculated by MPH only.

Note: I noticed you said Nissan.. .blah..I wouldn't own a nissan product... Z = Z28 (Must be an Fbody owner thing... thats what is used everywhere Ive been fwiw)
post #44 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:38 PM

i wouldn't be worried about speed limiters anyways. if you can't hit it in the quarter mile, you don't need to worry.

once you hit the limit running the 1320, THEN worry about speed limiters...

(no direct offense implied, but what's the point?)
post #45 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER99
I did my own tuning I won't claim all GMs do..but I know my car calculated by MPH only.

Note: I noticed you said Nissan.. .blah..I wouldn't own a nissan product... Z = Z28 (Must be an Fbody owner thing... thats what is used everywhere Ive been fwiw)
Ahhh Gotch ya, Yeah I did all my own tuning on the Grand Am Via the PowrTuner and it used both MPH and RPM, witch made it a pain in the ass to set shiftpoints.
What year was you're "Z"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in