CRABS came today...A few "problems" - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

CRABS came today...A few "problems"

I should have taken pictures to help describe my problem, but here goes...the MAF is probably 1/4"-1/2" wider than the rubber "coupler" that was provided. I fought with it for about 10 minutes before I decided to cut it and "Jerry rig" it to fit. I ran some higher quality tape around the rubber coupler to close the gap and then installed the short pipe provided to attach the cone to. So basically the pipe is quite a bit smaller than the MAF.

So aparently the newer G6's need bigger connectors and a bigger cone. I'm going to measure and get a pipe with couplers to fit and then go with the cone that I have from AutoZone that is the right size...either way, I finally have CRABS...never thought I'd be excited to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Lifetime Member

You've got crabs, hahahaha

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
when I put mine on it was definitly a tight fit....I had to use a screw driver basically to pry it on. Im sure lampoon wil be around shortly to help.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

Just put butter on it

I ran into the same problem but fortunately had some spare couplers from an unremembered Grand Prix project that went from larger at one end to smaller at the other (behave!), and they worked out perfectly for the CRABs application

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:43 PM

doesn't that have the possibility of casueing adverse effect? i know that on my car, if i put an intake that is literally .15" different in diameter than the stock intake, my car will run like shit.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 AM

Dunno...mine runs fine

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

...and thats why I say to contact me if you have any problems.

You should not have cut it. That ruins it. All you have to do is bend it
out and stretch it with your fingers before putting it on. It stretches.
You can also use hot water on it, as heat makes it more pliable.

An 18 year old girl emailed me that she started to have that same problem because she isnt very strong but that she got out her blow dryer and heated it up and it went right on, easy cheesy.

The MAF is 1/8" to 1/4" larger than the diameter of the coupler (depending on which one you have) but this coupler is designed to stretch over the maf. It is made to do this.
A coupler that stretches is a better option for a tighter fit as the 3.25" to 3" reducer fits too loose. Couplers that are too big then clamped down have a greater risk of leaking.

If anyone else runs into this problem then run the coupler under very hot water. Then take it out, dry it off and grab the side your going to stretch on and pull it outward.
You will see it stretch. Then put it on the maf and tighten it down.

You will notice that one clamp is longer than the other. The longer one is for your maf side of the coupler.

As for it running like shit....your Throttle Body Intake is 3". How is a 3" coupler stretched onto the MAF going to make it run like shit? At no point is a Crab Intake smaller than the TBI. An intake will only flow at the rate of its smallest contriction point and that is not your coupler...its your stock front pipe.

So tell him how it runs now with the intake....

I can send you another coupler but since you cut it, I dont feel intentional damage should be on my nickle. I will do it for actual cost though.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:06 PM

i wasn't implying that your intakes were smaller, i was responding to the comment that implied that. i understand what your saying and was pretty confused that onyone would attempt to fashion an intake smaller than the TB inlet.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz12285 View Post
I should have taken pictures to help describe my problem, but here goes...the MAF is probably 1/4"-1/2" wider than the rubber "coupler" that was provided. I fought with it for about 10 minutes before I decided to cut it and "Jerry rig" it to fit. I ran some higher quality tape around the rubber coupler to close the gap and then installed the short pipe provided to attach the cone to. So basically the pipe is quite a bit smaller than the MAF.

So aparently the newer G6's need bigger connectors and a bigger cone. I'm going to measure and get a pipe with couplers to fit and then go with the cone that I have from AutoZone that is the right size...either way, I finally have CRABS...never thought I'd be excited to say it.
I boiled about 2" of water and let the couplers sit in it for a few minutes - they slid right on. Definitely get new couplers from Lampoon.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Checked all connections last night and they were OK but in light of all this it looks like it would be best to boil my CRABs anyway

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:19 PM

kinda related to CRABs, do you have any more FPUs yet pooners?

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Dark Gray Metalic
Bought Feb 28 2009 with 24k miles now has 130k miles RIP Baby death snowplow 1-30-11
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4757

Carbon Black Metalic 2009 G6 GXP Coupe
Bought Oct 8 2010 with 35 miles

Mods so far: every single performance mod and a whole lot more, fastest NA G6
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

1/4 mile: [email protected] 109.23

Performance Red Metalic 2009 G6 GXP coupe
bought june 29 2012 with 3400 miles

Mods: RACE CAR- full race fuel setup and in the process of converting to RWD with a 6spd manual trans
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13140
1/4 mile: [email protected] 101.95
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:33 PM

It was also a tight fit for me. I just followed the instrutions that were sent with the crabs. Just boiled some water and it went right on. little elbow grease is required. All in all a quik install.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Should have a date for them by the end of the month.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to markpetersonii Send a message via MSN to markpetersonii
Quote:
An 18 year old girl emailed me that she started to have that same problem because she isnt very strong but that she got out her blow dryer and heated it up and it went right on, easy cheesy.
I just saw this LOL She did it without problems!

Mine was easy to put on, no problems at all!

2003 Mercedes Benz E500 Sport - 2001 Ford Ranger XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in