Pontiac G6 GXP.R - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

Exclamation Pontiac G6 GXP.R

So I've been reading on here and on G6performance.com and it has been a fact that putting on a turbo/supercharger would be a lot of money. But I'm determined to to add a decent amount of hp to this DD. But then i remembered about the Pontiac G6 GXP.R that has a LS2 90º V 8, with a 5 speed sequential gear box, and is rwd. How much do you think something like that would cost ( broken down part by part)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualPotential View Post
So I've been reading on here and on G6performance.com and it has been a fact that putting on a turbo/supercharger would be a lot of money. But I'm determined to to add a decent amount of hp to this DD. But then i remembered about the Pontiac G6 GXP.R that has a LS2 90º V 8, with a 5 speed sequential gear box, and is rwd. How much do you think something like that would cost ( broken down part by part)?
Part-by-part breakdown:

1) Drive the G6 to a dealer.
2) Trade it in for a G8.

There is no practical way to convert a front wheel drive car to RWD. You would have to completely rework the engine compartment, chassis, lower body, rear suspension, front suspension, shifter, electrical wiring, brakes, probably the steering... and you would probably spend well over $20,000 to do so.

The G6 is quick, but not fast. you're never going to turn it into a serious race car, at least not for a reasonable price. If high performance is what you want, you should buy a car that is already designed with performance in mind.

I'm really lusting after the Cadillac CTS-V. I was looking at those and XLRs before deciding I didn't want a $600+ monthly payment, then settled on the G6.

~ MattInSoCal
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

Ok really tired of people commenting and not answering the desired question. Like I said its a question and I just want info...its funny i thought this was a G6 forum but every time performance gets brought up someone always has to bring up trading in the G6 for a G8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Professional geek

Quote:
Ok really tired of people commenting and not answering the desired question. Like I said its a question and I just want info...its funny i thought this was a G6 forum but every time performance gets brought up someone always has to bring up trading in the G6 for a G8
"You would have to completely rework the engine compartment, chassis, lower body, rear suspension, front suspension, shifter, electrical wiring, brakes, probably the steering... and you would probably spend well over $20,000 to do so."

This was not an answer in what way? It is reasonably complete and factual without going into painful detail. You could take a sawzall to the body and keep the upper part of it, but you would have to build a completely new frame and undercarriage to switch a front drive car to rear drive. Think about it: the G6 has no driveshaft tunnel. You'll have to create one. This means the existing seats would not fit. You have to fabricate motor mounts, trans mounts, rear axle mounts, completely redo the steering, lengthen the front end to accommodate the V8, put in a completely new cooling system, and I am barely scratching the surface in these two posts. If you have infinite budget you can do it.

~ MattInSoCal
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

Haha infinite budget not at all. Im just a college student who just bought a nice car. I was just curious about the LS2 G6 they had out on the racing circuit. It would just be interesting to have. But you said about 20k. Under another thread they said that trying to turbo this car and rebuilding the engine and the tranny would come out to be about 15k. I just wanna come near 300 hp
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Professional geek

Quote:
Haha infinite budget not at all. Im just a college student who just bought a nice car. I was just curious about the LS2 G6 they had out on the racing circuit. It would just be interesting to have. But you said about 20k. Under another thread they said that trying to turbo this car and rebuilding the engine and the tranny would come out to be about 15k. I just wanna come near 300 hp
The thing about cutting the body off and building a new bottom is pretty much what they do to make a rally car. If you have the 3.9 engine, by doing a lot of plumbing and tuning work you could possibly get near 300 HP but at a big cost. Not gonna happen with the 3.5. One of the reasons that you don't see a turbo or supercharger kit for the G6 is because nobody has figured out a way to make one commercially viable. There have been a few people that claim to have boosted their engines, but none of them have presented much in the way of proof nor has anyone quoted believable numbers. They have talked about big costs involved just to get the turbo in. You'd definitely want to upgrade the brakes and suspension, and beef up the motor and trans mounts. Further, there is a question about whether the transmission could handle the extra power.

I've been down this path. Back in 1985 or 86 (I am a dinosaur) I replaced the 1.8 liter engine in my 1974 Ford Courier with a 3800 Buick V6. $2500 or later with me doing most of the work (rebuilt the engine ground-up) and lots of sawing and welding plus a custom driveshaft and the engine and trans were in and running. I abandoned the project finally when I realized that I would need to replace the rear axle, beef up the suspension, spend another $600 on plumbing because I couldn't keep the engine cool, replace the braking system... Another $5 or $6000 on the line. This was a vehicle that was already rear drive, and in 1986-ish dollars.

The G6 is not a suitable platform for big power mods. I wasn't trying to be a smartass by suggesting that you look at the G8 if you want horsepower and rear drive.

I'll back out of this thread now unless you have some specific questions. Sorry if I perturbed you or made your head spin around in circles.

~ MattInSoCal
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

Lol no its cool. But it just sucks that i have a car with little to no performance upgrades. But do you think to swap in the G6 3.9L engine and tranny would be affordable
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Professional geek

Quote:
Lol no its cool. But it just sucks that i have a car with little to no performance upgrades. But do you think to swap in the G6 3.9L engine and tranny would be affordable
The parts would not cost too much if you bought them from a junkyard or similar. I've seen the 3.9s pulled from wrecked cars going for around $600, and if you look around you could get the 6-speed auto for around the same price. They did make a 6-speed manual for the G6, but they are pretty rare, plus you would need to rework the pedals, add the hydraulics for a clutch, etc. Aside from the engine and trans you would also need the 3.9 ECU and Transmission Control Unit. I don't know if you would have to change much if anything in the way of wiring.

If you did the work yourself it would probably be a weekend job. It would be kind of spendy if you had to pay someone else to do it.

I forgot the one other key point about my engine swap. In California, and possibly in other states, generally we are allowed to do engine swaps and such, but the emission measurements have to be at the same level as the engine and exhaust that were originally in the car, so going to a bigger engine, especially with performance upgrades, can be tricky. This would be something to check in to before you started spending big dollars.

~ MattInSoCal
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

Alright thanks and i didnt know they made the G6 in a manual..didnt think that was an option
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

As for the original issue, the problem is you're looking at the GXP.R as a showroom stock Pontiac that someone gutted out and made into a race car. Not so. It was a race car chassis that someone fabbed Pontiac G6 GXP-looking body panels over top of.

Slight difference

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

So your saying that I wouldnt be able to have someone cut up the g6 to put in the ls2 and change everything else...Im really interested in this conversion...Rather do this than buy a new car. Im looking to make a sleeper
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Professional geek

Quote:
So your saying that I wouldnt be able to have someone cut up the g6 to put in the ls2 and change everything else...Im really interested in this conversion...Rather do this than buy a new car. Im looking to make a sleeper
My fiancée wanted a specific diamond set a specific way for her ring. No one I talked to had ever heard of that being done, but there is a jeweler in my neighborhood that built the ring from various components he had in his shop or had to order. The resulting Franken-ring actually looks very nice. The moral of this story is that I told her the same thing about the ring that I will tell you about this project:

Anything can be made if you are willing to throw enough money at someone.

The GTOs and G8s don't look as fast from the outside as they actually are - especially the G8 GTP with the 6.2 L Corvette engine. 415 HP and TQ. I'd love to have one of those sick puppies but I can only talk my way out minor to moderate violations.

~ MattInSoCal
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Midnight Blue GT

So with that being said does anyone on here know how to do a conversion like that
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 PM

Idk if you're still interested in this concept, but I was reading this thread (after searching myself if anyone has put a V8 into a G6) and I just figured I'd add my opinion... What you are fantisizing is essentially having the components of a G8 inside of a G6, right, to create that 'sleeper' effect?... Me too... And while I would agree with MattInSoCal, that all of the previously mentioned modifications would be very extensive and costly, I think it would be possible to put a bigger powerplant into a G6, but without all the crazyness of converting to RWD... Take a look at the LS4 engine, the 5.3L used in the Grand Prix GXP.. It is a varient of the LS1 block and has a shorter crankshaft designed specifically for FWD applications.. The 5.3L with the cyclinder shut off feature (displacement on demand) is a very powerful motor.. It produces only around 300hp, but from my personal experience, this motor gives alot of smiles while driving it... Lots of low end torque.. And I really think it would be EVEN BETTER mated with a 6-speed trans, since it was only offered with a 4-speed auto in the GP GXP, the power was WASTED (in my opinion).. 2nd gear would run you all the way to like 104mph or something ridiculous!... Why? lol... In addition, there are many more performance mods out there for this engine compared to what's available for the LY7... Just my opinion... I myself just bought a 2008 G6 GXP coupe and am waiting for it to be delivered from across the country... But I have been seriously looking into either fabricating a turbo charging system or doing an engine swap, with the exact motor I was telling you about... I would like to have the turbo on the 3.6, but I think the full swap would be less problematic... I know that it too (the swap) will require some extensive modifications to the engine compartment as well as the suspension, front axle, etc.. but the different people I've talked to about the turbo project, have all told me the same thing essentially - that it could more than likely be done, BUT, the question is whether the motor (heads, block, valves, pushrods, etc etc etc) would last very long with the higher temps created by forced induction.. So, just some food for thought...

Like I said, I have no idea if you're still interested in this concept, since your original post is like 4 years old lol... But if you are, here's a second opinion.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 01:05 AM

not gon fit any V8 in there not even the 5.3 without massive modification to the firewall and getting rid of the stock dash, however you can fit the 3.6 and a manual trans in there RWD no problem I just need a few more parts before I can really start getting into it, but for the most part 90% of it bolts right up and should cost well below 10K for me its is gonna be cheaper to make my GXP RWD and manual than it will be having the transmission built to hold 500+ HP my 3.6 will have by the time I done building the engine, just have to get a set or forged pistons ordered and my heads ported to finish off the engine

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Dark Gray Metalic
Bought Feb 28 2009 with 24k miles now has 130k miles RIP Baby death snowplow 1-30-11
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4757

Carbon Black Metalic 2009 G6 GXP Coupe
Bought Oct 8 2010 with 35 miles

Mods so far: every single performance mod and a whole lot more, fastest NA G6
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

1/4 mile: [email protected] 109.23

Performance Red Metalic 2009 G6 GXP coupe
bought june 29 2012 with 3400 miles

Mods: RACE CAR- full race fuel setup and in the process of converting to RWD with a 6spd manual trans
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13140
1/4 mile: [email protected] 101.95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in