Replace BCM on 08 GTP - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Replace BCM on 08 GXP

My dealer told me I need a new BCM to correct some dash problems I'm having, my question is if I buy one off ebay ($85.00) and assuming it is a good unit will it be a plug and play? Never have messed with any of the new computers.

Last edited by zipzip2010; 06-17-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzip2010 View Post
My dealer told me I need a new BCM to correct some dash problems I'm having, my question is if I buy one off ebay ($85.00) and assuming it is a good unit will it be a plug and play? Never have messed with any of the new computers.
It would be plug and play mechanically and electrically if you match up the part numbers. You would still need to visit a dealer to have it reprogrammed after the swap. The BCM is responsible for all the security, including matching the keys to the values that are stored. In short, the car would start but would quickly stop due to not having a matching key code. If you had a key from the donor car and cut a blank without the transponder, you would be able to reprogram the BCM yourself to match your keys.

Other stuff like resetting the VIN so your radio would work and programming it so your keyless entry (and start, if equipped) will work require a Tech II programmer.

Figure on a $50 to $150 charge from the stealership for the above. Also figure you'd have to have the car towed in. Use that to see how much (or little) money you will save by doing part of the work yourself.

~ MattInSoCal
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Breaks Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInSoCal View Post
It would be plug and play mechanically and electrically if you match up the part numbers. You would still need to visit a dealer to have it reprogrammed after the swap. The BCM is responsible for all the security, including matching the keys to the values that are stored. In short, the car would start but would quickly stop due to not having a matching key code. If you had a key from the donor car and cut a blank without the transponder, you would be able to reprogram the BCM yourself to match your keys.

Other stuff like resetting the VIN so your radio would work and programming it so your keyless entry (and start, if equipped) will work require a Tech II programmer.

Figure on a $50 to $150 charge from the stealership for the above. Also figure you'd have to have the car towed in. Use that to see how much (or little) money you will save by doing part of the work yourself. So if the unit is NEW (which would be doubtful on ebay for $85 but you never know) you'll be fine, if its used you are hosed.

~ MattInSoCal

Just to set the record straight, the BCM used in the G6/Malibu/Cobalt etc. is a ONE SHOT unit. It programs to the vin and locks completely and cant be reprogrammed. Why you ask? Simple, not only is the VIN in there but the Odometer is as well.

Chris White
2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
2009 Cyber Gray 3LZ Z06- '10 Launch Control
2012 CTS-V Intake/Exhaust - Custom BCM
2012 Acadia Denali AWD - Custom BCM
2012 Jeep SRT-8 STOCK
2013 SRX Premium - CUE - Custom IPC/BCM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in