3.5 to 3.8 swap? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

3.5 to 3.8 swap?

my dad has a buick regal with a 3.8 in it...would it be possible to do an engine swap? they're both gm cars so i would assume it could be possible.

thanks for input
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Slingin parts for Harry

Not worth the time, money, and headache. I'm assuming you have a 3.5 G6? 3.5 is a 60*V6, 3.8 is a 90*V6 so you'll more than likely have to have custom motor mounts, trans mount, subframe, wiring harnesses, and axles made.

Or you could spend $500 on a wet nitrous kit, and achieve the same results with a 50-75 shot. Plus a tune.

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5231&dateline=1259423  286

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6
Yes a turbo could probably be fitted on a G6, HOWEVER, due the major rebuilding effort of the tranny, room issues under the hood, and other major restructuring of powertrain components, it would become a very costly endeavor.

There are no G6s that have been turboed successfully. A few have valiantly tried, but have failed.
rofl
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Midnight Blue GT

Couldnt he just do the 3.9 L swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Slingin parts for Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualPotential View Post
Couldnt he just do the 3.9 L swap
Still not worth the money, just build on your existing drivetrain. A total build on the top 1/2 of the motor would yield some pretty bad ass results, top that off with headers, exhaust, 75 wet shot, & a tune = WIN

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5231&dateline=1259423  286

Quote:
Yes a turbo could probably be fitted on a G6, HOWEVER, due the major rebuilding effort of the tranny, room issues under the hood, and other major restructuring of powertrain components, it would become a very costly endeavor.

There are no G6s that have been turboed successfully. A few have valiantly tried, but have failed.
rofl
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to gs1990-G6GT
What headers are available...and what about a turbo or sc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0VTCH33ZE View Post
Still not worth the money, just build on your existing drivetrain. A total build on the top 1/2 of the motor would yield some pretty bad ass results, top that off with headers, exhaust, 75 wet shot, & a tune = WIN
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

i would rather do the swap than deal with trying to put in a turbo from what ive heard on here lol...what would be involved with the wet shot? could i strap it on the stock system? i doubt it.

thanks for anymore input
mike
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Slingin parts for Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1990-G6GT View Post
What headers are available...and what about a turbo or sc?
OBX headers if he has the LX9 motor, s/c or t/c would have to be all custom fabricated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0513 View Post
i would rather do the swap than deal with trying to put in a turbo from what ive heard on here lol...what would be involved with the wet shot? could i strap it on the stock system? i doubt it.

thanks for anymore input
mike
If you're talking about putting a wet shot on a stock motor, then yes you can. The common misconception of nitrous is it always blows shit up, well yea if you don't do your research shit will blow up. You could put a 30 shot on it with 1 step colder copper plugs and probably get away with not having to remove any timing. I always recommend having a car tuned for any kind of power adders though.

I'm sure that motor would take a 50-75 wet shot without any problems. Provided you have a good tuner working on your car.

Quote:

rofl
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Whats the difference between a wet shot and a dry shot?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Slingin parts for Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0513 View Post
Whats the difference between a wet shot and a dry shot?
A wet shot pulls fuel from your fuel rail and shoots it out the same nozzle as the nitrous, mixing the two before entering the cylinder. A wet shot is a lot safer due to your fuel injectors not having to overcompensate and play catch up for the added nitrous on a dry shot.

Quote:

rofl
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:39 AM

The other side of the coin.

The other side of this coin has been tossed around extensively on Pontiac Grand Prix forums, that being "Can you put the 6T## transmission in a 3.8L Grand Prix?"

The answer is overwhelmingly what you received above, "yes but what a headache, your better off working with what you have."

The key points are the same though:
  • Need to make custom mounts/move things around.
  • Too much power from the 3.8/the six speed isn't rated high enough.
  • You can achieve better results with a cheaper easier modification.
  • Shift timing.

If you do decide to go ahead with the project keep this in mind: The 6T## transmissions are rated at max 315 HP/300 ft lb torque, the 3.8L engines (L36/L26) can produce better than that naturally aspirated, though out of the box they are rated at 205 HP/230 ft lb torque. You'll actually have to modify the 3.8L to get what you get from the 3.5L out of the box.

As to the turbo issue... The W-body crowd has had the 3.8L in roughly it's current incarnation since 1995. Some of the engines have been successfully turbo charged, but far more attempts end in destroyed engines and incredibly thorough wastes of money and time. I expect that roughly the same thing is in store for the 3.5L/3.9L, years until the proper formula is achieved and it will still end up better left undone.

The IVVT (infinitely variable valve timing) and offset bore are the main culprits in problems with boosting the new GM engines. The IVVT adjusts the timing of the valves equally in order to optimize performance, so when you apply the additional air from a turbo the engine ends up running lean and killing itself trying to re-optimize the fuel/air mix. With the center of the cylinder bore being offset from the camshaft and the camshaft itself constantly changing position the elevated compression becomes an issue for the piston rods where applied stress is concerned.

The LX/LZ/LY engines are remarkable in that, for the first time, Pontiac enthusiasts have an engine that takes care of needs for added effective compression without using additional parts (turbo/supercharger). All in all the engine your car has is more than capable of pushing the rest of the drive train to its limits if you make smart modifications.

End advice: Modify fuel system (wet shot), tune, remove weight where you can do so safely, and tune again (after every significant performance modification).

Last edited by DBWatkins; 07-06-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typos, wording
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM

I own a 2001 Grand Prix GT with the L36 engine. It has been very reliable and gets great mileage for the power it delivers, and while there is huge amount of aftermarket available for mods, you have to spend a lot to get any serious power.
There are board members who have spend big dollars on supercharging and intercooling and still have not hit the elusive 300hp mark.
While I have little experience with the various 60degree V6 engines, I have read several times over on 60dgreeV6.com that 300hp is an attainable figure while still in N/A form...this is one of the reasons I have considered swapping to a 60degree engine in my car, which can be done by going to the base SE parts 9for the 3100/3400 engine.

The advice given so far I think is sound. Nowadays swapping engines is quite involved with harnesses and computer modules that must function in order to run and be driveable. Modding what you have usually works best unless you have time, knowledge and deep pockets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in