Ignition system problem? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Ignition system problem?

Ok so I'm in the midst of purchasing a 2006 G6 GTP Black on Black (leather), 6 speed manual tranny, 3.9L engine.

I had it inspected yesterday at a CAA station (Canadian equivalent of AAA). I had its compression tested and engine systems verified ontop of the regular inspection.

The results stated that the starting, charging, compression, fuel emissions and cooling systems were all great. But the ignition system had a problem here are the problems:

One problem said
Diagnosis: too few coil oscillations
Probable cause: defective ignition coils

then there was some spark plug problems - hinting that the car was in need of a tune up (57,000 KMs on it)

My question is it possible that this is a false positive? Let me explain - I saw the technician program the computer before running the tests - he told the computer it was a 2004 Grand Prix 3.8L engine (I dont think it had the g6 in the software) but could it have detected this problem due to the VVT or something?

Thanks.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Slingin parts for Harry

Yes it looks like the coil is going bad, does it feel like it misfires every one in a while? The tech didn't do anything wrong, my guess is he just had to find a way of taping into the computer to read would-be codes. Probably because his software hasn't been updated for that new of car.

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5231&dateline=1259423  286

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6
Yes a turbo could probably be fitted on a G6, HOWEVER, due the major rebuilding effort of the tranny, room issues under the hood, and other major restructuring of powertrain components, it would become a very costly endeavor.

There are no G6s that have been turboed successfully. A few have valiantly tried, but have failed.
rofl

Last edited by G0VTCH33ZE; 07-07-2010 at 07:00 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Well like I said im buying the car - so I havent driven it much - 5 minute test drive, and then 20 minute drive to the inspection station and 20 minutes back. The dealer should be adressing all the problems before I purchase the car. I'm going to have it reinspected afterwards to make sure they don't pull any funny business.

Thanks - I thought maybe the VVT would cause some sort of miscalculation in the diagnosis; because the computer wouldnt account for that seeing that a grand prix doesnt have VVT.

Thanks a lot!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in