Question(s) about intake ideas - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

Question(s) about intake ideas

Here's what I'm thinking about doing to my intake. Bear in mind, I'm on a very tight budget and my car is still covered by warranty- so I don't want to do anything that can't be undone.
Right now I have all of the stock parts of the car.
I would like to get the Crabs system eventually, but like I said I'm on a very tight budget.
For now though, I was thinking that I would install a drop-in K&N or other performance air filter and remove the intake resonator and replace it with a Ram Air Intake that rams air from the grill of the car, as found at this link:
http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/...=ram+air+grill

So here are my questions:
Is there an advantage to having a cone filter over a panel filter? If the answer is yes, then would it be possible to simply remove the top of the air box and put a cone filter there without getting a CRABS-like cold air box?

If I decided to stick with the stock air box, would using a heat-reflecting or insulating material, like found at the link below, work if I used it to cover the stock air box to keep it cool, essentially converting it into an enclosed cold air box with air being rammed from the grill?http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2039P____

Thanks for your input- your ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by jpbales; 07-20-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM

All i can answer for sure is that a cone filter allows more air flow, in some cases a drasticly larger amount....but im not sure about putting one on the end of the stock tube or that insulating material.

I was thinking about doin that ram air through the grill too, i think that would work out great.

Mike
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
I would not suggest removing that intake resonator if your using the stock box no matter what filter... if you want to remove it and use a ram air your gonna have to change to a cone filter so there is no chance that your intake sucks up water and stuff.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Slingin parts for Harry

All a cone filter does is act as a velocity stack, if you're forcing air into the intake via "ram air", a cone is pointless. To be incognito about it if I were you I'd run a duct from the grille up to the bottom of the air box, make sure everything is sealed at the bottom of the box. Also add a K&N to help with more volume.

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5231&dateline=1259423  286

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6
Yes a turbo could probably be fitted on a G6, HOWEVER, due the major rebuilding effort of the tranny, room issues under the hood, and other major restructuring of powertrain components, it would become a very costly endeavor.

There are no G6s that have been turboed successfully. A few have valiantly tried, but have failed.
rofl
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 PM
CSU_trackstar

yo i did that with my car, but i ran it threw the passenger fog light. i just ran the hose from where the resonator was strait to the fog light, this way you don't have to cut like the instructions tell you to. but it is SUCH a pain taking your fender a part, seemed like a million pins but it had a noticable difference, and it seemed to add a little extra kick at higher speeds. i took out the fog lights a few months ago and ran the fog light switch to my underglow. ill take a pic and post it up here soon
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/...?f=108&t=16084

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0VTCH33ZE View Post
All a cone filter does is act as a velocity stack, if you're forcing air into the intake via "ram air", a cone is pointless. To be incognito about it if I were you I'd run a duct from the grille up to the bottom of the air box, make sure everything is sealed at the bottom of the box. Also add a K&N to help with more volume.
I basically did what you said today. I did the grill intake and I'm going by the auto parts store tomorrow to get the new K&N air filter. I guess I need to be sure to seal the bottom of the air box next as well. I've got the details here:
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7224

Lampoon-
I like your tiger intake idea, and I bet it works better than the teeny grill intake, but I decided to go with the grill intake because it's less conspicuous and won't hang out from under the car. Looking around at Lowes they had a lot of vents that probably would have worked well as the intake tho.

Last edited by jpbales; 07-22-2010 at 05:32 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

I've already gotten a +3 mpg improvement since installing the new intake system and the K&N filter I picked up this morning! I'm happy now
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 PM
CSU_trackstar

heres a pic of the ram intake in the fog light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-07-22 23.18.43.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1307  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Slingin parts for Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbales View Post
I've already gotten a +3 mpg improvement since installing the new intake system and the K&N filter I picked up this morning! I'm happy now
Glad to hear

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5231&dateline=1259423  286

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6
Yes a turbo could probably be fitted on a G6, HOWEVER, due the major rebuilding effort of the tranny, room issues under the hood, and other major restructuring of powertrain components, it would become a very costly endeavor.

There are no G6s that have been turboed successfully. A few have valiantly tried, but have failed.
rofl
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Jimmy B.

too bad my car got smashed by a truck just later in the day after I posted "I'm happy now"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Damn, thats f'd up

2006 G6 GTP: 4speed auto, intake resonater delete, mild weight reduction, some custom work, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in