Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Resonator removal and size of pipe

15K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jonfletch01 
#1 ·
My friend wants to put a glass pack/cherry bomb style muffler in place of his stock resonator. The question is what is the proper inlet/outlet size needed or recomended? At first glance it looks like a 2 1/4 or 2". The other thing is are there any suggestions as to the length? I told him he needs to use something 3.5" round or smaller to avoid smashing it into road obstructions like speed bumps.

Thanks guys.

'Mike

#3 ·
question on exhausts...lookin jsut for a simple bolt on exhaust. now you say 2.25" inlet so is that the size of bolt on i should get? i need to get exactly 2.25" with whatever length? just tryin to get this right ha and im sure poon meant to say less than 4" clearance too :beer::cool:

#4 ·
Isnt that the less than character? No??

That was in reference to the diameter of the replacement flow through
for the stock resonator. If you go over 4" then you will hit stuff with it like speed bumps. It will hang to low.

Your stock pipe is 2-1/4" but you can bolt up a 2.5 to the flex just north of the
resonator if you want and continue back with 2.5".

#5 ·
maybe im confused on how a bolt on works...the actual stock exhaust i have right now does it come off before i slide on the bolt on? either way (if im understanding correctly) what you're saying i need is at least 2.25" bolt on but i can go up to 2.5" for the pipe size on the new exhaust? im sorry about my slowness haha and nawww thats definitely greater than haha the alligator mouth always points towards the larger number!!! come on now hahahhahaha

#6 ·
Clown has a point there Lampoon.. Your "alligator mouth" is eating the wrong side...
(sorry.. couldn't resist.. ::D: )

And Clown.. your stock exhaust comes off and then you bolt on the "bolt on" kit you buy... as far as the pipe goes.. your stock is 2.25.. theoretically you can go as small as you want or up to 2.5 as a replacement size... just look for a bolt on kit for your car.. it will be the right size.. no guess work..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.