Borla? MagnaFlow? or Flowmaster? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
DERKA

Send a message via AIM to derka518
Borla? MagnaFlow? or Flowmaster?

Hey guys i have a 06 Gt Coupe. im looking to do a catback system, i dont want to sound lk a mexicans honda so i need help finding which muffler would get me a meaner rumble. but not too loud. i know its a 3.5 v6 but i know i can get pretty good sound out of it. i like the sound of those GT-Rs but like alot of other people im not spending that much. is there anything tht would get me close to tht sound? and what kind of flow through should i use? if i need one. and this is guna be duals btw. thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 AM
2009 Carbon Black 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by derka518 View Post
Hey guys i have a 06 Gt Coupe. im looking to do a catback system, i dont want to sound lk a mexicans honda so i need help finding which muffler would get me a meaner rumble. but not too loud. i know its a 3.5 v6 but i know i can get pretty good sound out of it. i like the sound of those GT-Rs but like alot of other people im not spending that much. is there anything tht would get me close to tht sound? and what kind of flow through should i use? if i need one. and this is guna be duals btw. thanks for any help.

I personally like the sound of this video. He kept the system stock and added a Flowmaster 80 Series muffler.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 02:55 PM
G6 owner

agreed ^^^^sounds good! might be what i would lean twords.. no rice sound is what im looking for..

2007 Pontiac G6 GT Sedan Cobalt Red.
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30, Mobil 1 EP filter, Mobil 1 ATF Dexron, Tinted windows, black door trim.
Mods planned...
Viper alarm/remote start (iphone app!)
Crab Intake
Exhaust. (debating which kind)
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/profile.php?do=editsignature#sigpic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
DERKA

I do like the sound of that. would it be better to do true duals or would tht take to much power away. i am looking for a lil more performance out of this system. as far as resonator should i keep it stock or use lk a glasspack?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
DERKA

oh and what about those borla mufflers? does any one know how those sound and the perfomance they offer? i know borlas a good name but idk how one would sound on my car.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 PM

I've personally been a borla fan. I have vibrant on my GXP but I have run borla products in the past.

09 Ford Mustang Pony Edition
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ironman715
I suggest Borla. Great Product with great customer support. If you are looking to do a 3rd/4th gen style camaro muffler like the FM80 you should also look at the hooker aerochamber line of mufflers. I ahd very good luck with them and a nice sound when I had it on my wifes Firbird with a 3.4 V6.

Hope this helps.

'Mike
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 AM

Get on youtube and listen to exhausts, thats about the only way to get close to finding something you like.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:04 AM
2009 Carbon Black 6

Quote:
I do like the sound of that. would it be better to do true duals or would tht take to much power away. i am looking for a lil more performance out of this system. as far as resonator should i keep it stock or use lk a glasspack?

I think it would be better to use a dual outlet muffler such as the one in the video I have posted for you. True duals would be costly and I don't think you would see that much of a performance upgrade. Most G6 owners use the dual outlet muffler. And as far as the resonator goes, I would leave it alone. Just remember that if you use the wrong setup your car is going to be ungodly loud and possibly be a noise ordinance violation. You don't want a ticket for noise pollution, do you? The best options and sound I have seen/heard would be the video I posted or the GT-R system. I know its a tad pricey but its $599 well spent.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
DERKA

lol yeah i keep getting on youtube to listen to them. just a couple problems. i only found one pontiac with a borla exhaust and it was the G8 goddamn was it sick sounding butttt, ive got the 3.5 so idk what sound i could get out of one. and another most g6s on youtube have either a flowmaster or magnaflow, yeah theyre good mufflers but im tryin to look for somthing out of the ordinary. try somthn new. im almost set on borla, i gotta talk to the guy thts doin my car to make sure im not guna get a ricey sound. but should i do two mufflers? or just one muffler to two ports? im lookin for performance and sound here.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
DERKA

and to mr. G6 thanks for the input i think im just guna go with the dual outlet muffler. but yeah i really like tht gt-r exhaust but way to much for me. im doing custom cos i work for aap and the shop thts doin it for me gives us good deals and hes done a great job on cars ive heard in the past.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
2009 Carbon Black 6

Quote:
and to mr. G6 thanks for the input i think im just guna go with the dual outlet muffler. but yeah i really like tht gt-r exhaust but way to much for me. im doing custom cos i work for aap and the shop thts doin it for me gives us good deals and hes done a great job on cars ive heard in the past.
No problem. I used to work for AAP back in the day. lol. But yeah the dual outlet is the way to go. You obviously don't want to spend too much money so buying only one muffler is the first way to save money. I've never heard a Borla muffler on G6. You are right about the Magnaflow and Flowmaster on youtube. It's all people do. The GT-R is a magnaflow muffler. I like how the GT-R also sounds like an expensive sports car. You could always just keep your eyes open on this site. Maybe someone will sell their GT-R system one day. But for now, I would continue to do your custom system. Just make sure everything syncs together and you get proper back pressure.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
DERKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G6 View Post
No problem. I used to work for AAP back in the day. lol. But yeah the dual outlet is the way to go. You obviously don't want to spend too much money so buying only one muffler is the first way to save money. I've never heard a Borla muffler on G6. You are right about the Magnaflow and Flowmaster on youtube. It's all people do. The GT-R is a magnaflow muffler. I like how the GT-R also sounds like an expensive sports car. You could always just keep your eyes open on this site. Maybe someone will sell their GT-R system one day. But for now, I would continue to do your custom system. Just make sure everything syncs together and you get proper back pressure.
yeah im just going to do the single muffler dual outlet. i found only two borlas tht have it the performance turbo XL, and the pro XS. i have no idea if those r for ricers or not. "if anyone knows anything about those please let me know". but other than that yeah i think im guna talk to the shop owner today and see what he says. ill keep my eye out for a gt-r system but until then im just guna have to go custom.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ironman715
Give Borla a ring if thats the route you want to go. They make a single inlet dual outlet camaro style muffer. Also the Hooker Aerochamber muffler I suggested is a single inlet and dual outlet muffler like the Flowmaster(FM) 80series in the video. ITs a great sounding muffler.

http://www.holley.com/21729HKR.asp

Great muffler check it out man. Also it is cheaper on Jegs or summit racing. cut and paste the part number into their search and it should be about $80 for aluminized and more for polished SS.

'Mike
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 AM

Borla muffler in the single in dual out is # 40477

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in