Time for a stupid question - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Time for a stupid question

I have a G6 '07 Value Leader with the I4, that is the only way you can get them, and it drive like a grandma on a motorized scooter in walmart...

So I was thinking what if you put the automatic transimission into "L" at a red light and give it the beans, keep it in low until you get to about 6500 rpm and then push the shifter to "3" and keep going to 65ish, then when at speed put it into "D" and let the OD kick in and go lazy.

Is this bad for the transmission, I know it is bad for the gas mileage, but in my mind it is cheaper than buying a new car.

And other than it being illegal, any issue with shifting to Nuetral while coasting to a red light or stop sign? I dont think the benefit is huge either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

Alreet homemade TAPshift

Unfortunately I'm guessing it wouldn't be too good for the trans

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
I have a G6 '07 Value Leader with the I4, that is the only way you can get them, and it drive like a grandma on a motorized scooter in walmart...

So I was thinking what if you put the automatic transimission into "L" at a red light and give it the beans, keep it in low until you get to about 6500 rpm and then push the shifter to "3" and keep going to 65ish, then when at speed put it into "D" and let the OD kick in and go lazy. (I think we need to know what you are trying to accomplish.)

Is this bad for the transmission, (Any hard driving is bad at long lenths) I know it is bad for the gas mileage, but in my mind it is cheaper than buying a new car. (Um, keep driving your 6 too hard and you'll need a new one )

And other than it being illegal, any issue with shifting to Nuetral while coasting to a red light or stop sign? (donno, it does increase your odds of slipping into "R", which isn't too good either) I dont think the benefit is huge either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:07 AM

Garage
from what i've heard/read around the internet slipping into neutral while idling or even coasting downhill puts more strain on your tran, obviously, and would actually be doing more harm than the money you'd save. i'd assume doing all that tranny work while driving would put a lot of unnecessary stress on it as well...

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I am simply trying to accelerate faster, leaving the car in "D" has the shifting marks in the computer set to shift at 2500 rpm so you have no power to accelerate ever. In Drive I have to put the pedal to the floor, wait about 5 seconds and then I get a burst of power, which by the time I get it is too late. If you put it in "3" for driving less than 35mph it changes where the car shifts and wont shift until about 4000 rpm thus giving you more power when you need it.

Again this kills gas mileage but that is not my concern, trying to move the car around in traffic and getting some more excitement out of the car is what I am trying to do. I spent the first 75k miles driving the car like a grandma, plan to spend the last 25k miles driving it like a really slow race car...

I dont see how coasting in Nuertal will have a negative effect, you are taking the car out of gear, thus removing the stress from the transmission and drive train, I guess the only impact will be when you put it back in gear.

There is also a lock that requires you to depress the shifter button to move it into Reverse, so I am not worried about that slipping into it. Although, I have to say, I wonder what would happen if you were doing 50mph and put it in reverse...? NO I wont try it and let you know, just wondering if GM or someone has tested for that.

I can see a new car in my future.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Did a google search and found this, http://autos.aol.com/article/reverse-transmission/, it was a good read, and I am betting that the G6 has a shift inhibiter, but I am not going to find out. I figured there had to be some safety feature in there, otherwise there would be a 1' by 2' sticker on the shifter that would cause federal prison time if you removed it.

Anyway, would be cool to see a video of a test of this feature.

And just another way a computer is getting in the way of what you want to do, atleast this one is stopping stupidity, rather than just slowing down your shifts.

And yes I realize the answer to my overall questions is to buy a car with a manual shifter and a bigger engine. But I didnt choose to buy this car, it was kinda given to me at 70% market price from my parents after my other car had some serious issues that I didn't cause. I would have bought the G6 with the V6, not the stripped VL I4.

Last edited by goufcustom; 12-22-2010 at 11:40 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Garage
The good news is (in my expereince) if you try to do something that your car doesnt like, it will stall the engine. Yes, I just said that I stalled an auto.
I was reversing and shifted into drive while going a little too fast, and the car killed the engine. So hopefully if you accidently shift into R and the shift interlock doesnt work, the car is smart enough to kill the engine

06 GT - black on black
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
I am simply trying to accelerate faster, leaving the car in "D" has the shifting marks in the computer set to shift at 2500 rpm so you have no power to accelerate ever. In Drive I have to put the pedal to the floor, wait about 5 seconds and then I get a burst of power, which by the time I get it is too late. If you put it in "3" for driving less than 35mph it changes where the car shifts and wont shift until about 4000 rpm thus giving you more power when you need it.

Again this kills gas mileage but that is not my concern, trying to move the car around in traffic and getting some more excitement out of the car is what I am trying to do. I spent the first 75k miles driving the car like a grandma, plan to spend the last 25k miles driving it like a really slow race car...

I dont see how coasting in Nuertal will have a negative effect, you are taking the car out of gear, thus removing the stress from the transmission and drive train, I guess the only impact will be when you put it back in gear.

There is also a lock that requires you to depress the shifter button to move it into Reverse, so I am not worried about that slipping into it. Although, I have to say, I wonder what would happen if you were doing 50mph and put it in reverse...? NO I wont try it and let you know, just wondering if GM or someone has tested for that.

Quote:
Did a google search and found this, http://autos.aol.com/article/reverse-transmission/, it was a good read, and I am betting that the G6 has a shift inhibiter, but I am not going to find out. I figured there had to be some safety feature in there, otherwise there would be a 1' by 2' sticker on the shifter that would cause federal prison time if you removed it.

Anyway, would be cool to see a video of a test of this feature.

And just another way a computer is getting in the way of what you want to do, atleast this one is stopping stupidity, rather than just slowing down your shifts.

And yes I realize the answer to my overall questions is to buy a car with a manual shifter and a bigger engine. But I didnt choose to buy this car, it was kinda given to me at 70% market price from my parents after my other car had some serious issues that I didn't cause. I would have bought the G6 with the V6, not the stripped VL I4.
Since you seem to have answered your own questions then have fun!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Your not going to get any faster using L and 3rd. And if your car is shifting at 2500 i'd say your not pushing the pedal hard enough. if i floor it mine will shift at 6500rpm and then drop to about 5000rpm. with L and 3rd you can control when it shifts but then you also lose 2nd gear.

Myth busters did a myth that you can slow your car down by putting it into reverse instead of using the brake. with the Manual car it obviously just grinded the gears and kept going. On the auto car (i dont know if its like for every car) the car did nothing when it went into reverse. The car didnt allow it self to go into reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in