Be warned - Pontiac G6 Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
LX9 or nothing

Be warned

not saying anything bad about putting performance parts on your car... but putting on to much and things will start breaking, I HAD, K&N CAI, Magna flow exshast (can't spell that), resignator removed, Jet chips tunning mod, racing line performance strut tower brace & grounding kit, and gutted my car...
this is what happened....
the motor couldn't take all the stress and i blew out my throttle body, (replaced it for $350) and the strut bar was messing up my power steering cause you have to modify the ground wire for the power steering, so i took off the strut bar and jet chip and now the car runs great (after i replaced the TB)
point is the motor just cant take that kind of stress and things will stop working so you can go ahead and mod your car just dont take it to far. i still got the K&N, magna flow, and grounding kit and the car runs great!!!
(yes i know i should have got the WAMS tune but it's too late so i dont want everybody to say it OVER & OVER)
BTW i got a 2006 LX9 G6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Da.v3

maybe its this lame chip your talking about lol.

i have full crabs with the racing line strut bar and no issues at all.

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Performance: Full CRABs | RacingLine street MMIs + STB

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
LX9 or nothing

when you installed the strut bar did you have to modify the ground wire for the power steering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

the chip is your demon....

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
yup...I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the strur bar, and I didnt have to modify anything when I installede mine. Most I have heard is that for some people the holes didnt line up right.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Varsity Squad

Garage
Ever think it might have been the driver beating the piss out of it from every stop? I mean I have a custom high flow exhaust, a custom cold air intake, a jet stage 2 module, and a GM strut tower brace. I dynoed at 263HP at the crank and am not having any problems. I have had all this stuff for 35-40,000 miles and some of it for almost 70,000 miles and my GTP now has 104,000 miles and it runs like a dream! Just saying, the driver has a lot to do with how well your car stays intact. (I also know of several others who have the JET module and are not having any problems and are very happy with it!)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 AM

No, it is not because the motor couldn't handle all of the stress. Its because you didn't do things right (or went cheap, or both).

I never looked into the G6 'chips' but I'd never get a chip installed on any of my cars. A professional tune or professional tuner who sells 'canned' tunes is what's needed.

Just throwing a bunch of junk on a car doesn't make it faster.

2011 Mustang V6 3.7L
Sterling-Gray Metallic
Mods: BAMA Tuned | Auto Headlights | Fog Lights | Ford Official All-Weather Floor Mats | Hood Spears | Bassani Exhaust | Airaid CAI | Roush Rear Valence | 3.55 Gears | Breyton Wheels
Upgraded Audio: MTX REQ-5 | Alpine PDX-5 | 4x Kenwood 6x8s | Pioneer 12" Shallow Mount Sub
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Dude, this issue can happen to any car, not just the G6. Incorrect modifications are incorrect, period. I kinda wonder if it's not your CAI as that can mess up your throttle body as the MAF sensor could get messed up or junk allowed to get past the screen. This is a somewhat common problem with 4.6L Mustangs and I know K&N CAIs aren't the most popular in those circles for that reason.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
LX9 or nothing

i knew i was going to get blasted on about the chip, one thing to take into concideration about the whole thing is maybe the TB just went bad and it had nothing to do with the chip at all.... like i said I'M NOT AGAINST MODING THE G6, i'm just saying if you make the motor run how it's not suppose to things MIGHT start breaking, and this is not spesific to just the G6, this is true for any car just because all of you had no problems that doesn't mean it's true for everyone.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
LX9 or nothing

this is my motor before it broke
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
LX9 or nothing

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Correlation is not causation. That throttle body piece could have broken whether you had mods or not. The overall consensus about jet chips is that they just don't work. Sorry if you got a little bit of hate from the community, but if you tell everyone that your throttle body faulted out and say you have a Jet chip, then we will probably bash you.

I have a eBay N-Take air intake, AEM filter, removed resonator, grounding kit, Racingline strut bar, and soon to be WAMS tune (performance wise mods).

The strut bar doesn't require any modification unless you have a manual transmission (or was it convertible?). What ground wire did you have to remove? You could have easily bolted it in somewhere else or even under the strut bar mounts.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

Last edited by Abyssul; 02-10-2011 at 02:07 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
LX9 or nothing

the ground wire for the power steering, the strut brace went over it and the whole was not big enough so i had to trim it to make it fit, relocating it is a great idea though, it did help alot with front end stability so i would like to put it back on.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Painter

I feel like I have to chime in here... I have more done to my car then most of the people on here and have never had a problem with my mods. I dont really feel like this thread is founded. In fact it might even make someone that doesnt know much think twice before they put a CAI on there car. You should think about what you are saying before you post it. You could indirectly hurt vender buisness or worse make people d-mod there car for no reason. Good luck hope you learn the right way to mod your 6!!!

Mods...
(93 octane tune)... Ported throttle body by SB Tuning... Blacked out HL's and TL's... CAI for the G6... Custom exhaust and Dyna Max mufflers... Stock Wheel with 225 45 18 Good Year RSA's Repainted Gunmetal Grey also Black Drag 18x8 Extreme alloys Going on this spring... NRG Engine damper... Cquence Drilled/Slotted rotors... Racing Line MMI's... 8,000K HID's upper & Lower... Custom built tranny with bigger stall, shift kit and to much more to list... Soon to have fully rebuilt suspension with Pro Kit...

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic9657_1.gif
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/266519...evrolet-malibu
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
LX9 or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningblue View Post
I feel like I have to chime in here... I have more done to my car then most of the people on here and have never had a problem with my mods. I dont really feel like this thread is founded. In fact it might even make someone that doesnt know much think twice before they put a CAI on there car. You should think about what you are saying before you post it. You could indirectly hurt vender buisness or worse make people d-mod there car for no reason. Good luck hope you learn the right way to mod your 6!!!
listen buddy, if you mod your car this is what happens...
1. plan on keeping it until you run it to the ground cause unless you replace all the stock parts before trading it in your not gettin nothin for that car, to them aftermarket parts are just somethinf they gotta take off and replace the OE part..
2. it's a proven fact if you alter your car to run different then how the manufacturer intend somethings gonna go wrong, might not happen today or next month or even next year... SOMETHING WILL BRAKE EVENTUALLY, could be something cheap that doesn't cost much or could be your entire top end.

THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK, IF YOU WANTED A TUNNER CAR BY A JDM or MUSCLE CAR.....
yes im just as guilty as all of you but after i spent hella money for about 50 HP i relized how dumb it was and i'm just trying to give a friendly warning to anybody interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in