Exhaust ideas - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust ideas

I now have the GTP rear fascia, but the exhaust system I ordered back in December isn't going to ship for another month! I was thinking about doing something different and putting in an 18 inch 4" round magnaflow muffler where the resonator was, removing the muffler, Y piping it after the rear axle, and have two small magnaflow street series mufflers with tips coming out the back. I measured everything and it should fit. Also, the stock exhaust on my g6 is only 2 inches! The only thing that is 2.25 is the muffler tip! I thought eveything was 2.25"? Does anyone know if the GTP exhaust is 2.25" all the way through? Thanks......

middle muffler where the resonator was.

14" long mufflers/tips for the back Y after the axle.

If the GTP stock exhaust is only 2" then I will probably cancel the order for the GM factory system.

Last edited by Explr1; 01-16-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 05:20 PM

hmmmm. No advice but look forward to some pics and sound clips. Hint hint.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:16 PM

The only thing I can do to help you out is call the parts dept of ur dealership, they shoudl be able to give you blueprint that would have all clamp and hanger locations, pipe sizing for each flange and overlap.. thats what I did on my monte when I put the z34 exhaust on a base model!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyRed
The only thing I can do to help you out is call the parts dept of ur dealership, they shoudl be able to give you blueprint that would have all clamp and hanger locations, pipe sizing for each flange and overlap.. thats what I did on my monte when I put the z34 exhaust on a base model!!
don't hold your breath on that. generally speaking, dealership parts departments deal in "part numbers" and the electronic catalogs usually do not have 'dimensions' such as pipe length, diameter, etc. they can print you an 'exploded view' of an assembly showing locations of clamps and such, but as far as any dimensions......well you're on your own there!!!

good luck!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

The hanger locations are the same for all G6 sedans.

I just need to know if the GTP exhaust system is 2.25" I'm hoping it is. My '01 3800 Bonneville had 2.25, the GTP should with the 3.9 in it. I'm probably going to crawl under one at my local dealer to see. Getting the GTP set up will be cheaper than having a shop bend 2.25 pipes and using Magnaflows.

Last edited by Explr1; 01-16-2006 at 08:41 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explr1
The hanger locations are the same for all G6 sedans.

I just need to know if the GTP exhaust system is 2.25" I'm hoping it is. My '01 3800 Bonneville had 2.25, the GTP should with the 3.9 in it. I'm probably going to crawl under one at my local dealer to see. Getting the GTP set up will be cheaper than having a shop bend 2.25 pipes and using Magnaflows.
It is 2.25".

Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Designed For Action

Unless Borla or Corsa comes out with a 'Cat-Back' system, I'm going to have a custom exhaust done. I'm will go with 2.5" SS piping. The resonator will be replaced with a 'Turbo Pack' muffler and the rear muffler will make way for a MagnaFlow # 14266 muffler. Oh, 4" polished double-wall tips will grace the back.

Last edited by SCGA1; 01-19-2006 at 01:43 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGA1
Unless Borla or Corsa comes out with a 'Cat-Back' system, I'm going to have a custom exhaust done. I'm will go with 2.5" SS piping. The resonator will be replaced with a 'Turbo Pack' muffler and the rear muffler will make way for a MagnaFlow # 14266 muffler. Oh, 4" polished double-wall tips will grace the back.
Grrrrr that sounds Hottt. lol. Someone needs to post some exhaust notes on here. Hook a white brotha up.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposablehero
Grrrrr that sounds Hottt. lol. Someone needs to post some exhaust notes on here. Hook a white brotha up.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Why 2 mufflers??
Seems like u could splice a performance muffler up front
and Y it in the back....no?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon
Why 2 mufflers??
Seems like u could splice a performance muffler up front
and Y it in the back....no?
The man has a point. Might be a lil loud but hmmm. Someone do both and let us know. Hurry up.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:41 AM

How long is the center resonator?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 PM

wow, that looks like a pretty restrictive exhaust. i just ordered my GTP today, and the first thing i will be doing is cutting that center resonator out and striaght piping it and replacing the stock muffler.

anyone know how well the cats flow on these things? i know on the late model S-Series trucks some people replaced theirs and some didn't cause the stock ones flowed really well. considering there is more restriction with two, i may get high flow cats too.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 07:58 AM

Crossflows transverse mounted 2.25" mufflers are impossible to find. Im still looking.
I dont think they make them other than what we have already.
I think we need to cut out the back resonator/muffler and y it out for duals and instead of straight piping the mid resonator/muffler we should put in a muffler there - straight 2.25" mufflers are a dime a dozen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	389  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol16
wow, that looks like a pretty restrictive exhaust. i just ordered my GTP today, and the first thing i will be doing is cutting that center resonator out and striaght piping it and replacing the stock muffler.

anyone know how well the cats flow on these things? i know on the late model S-Series trucks some people replaced theirs and some didn't cause the stock ones flowed really well. considering there is more restriction with two, i may get high flow cats too.
If you want eliminate a good amount of restriction, replace the 'Y' pipe in front of the resonator. GM compressed 2 pipes to fit in a coupler that only holds 1 pipe. If you correct that and replace the resonator with a straight pipe or a high flow resonator, you will have a nice flowing exhaust system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in