Deeper sound through muffler? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Deeper sound through muffler?

Would replacing the muffler with a magnaflow give me a deeper sound?
Granted little, if any performance boost, but on sound at least would it make a difference?

this is a question because I do not have $700 for the exhaust system right now so this is until the money comes in.

Also which model would give me the best sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:45 AM

I was actually wondering the exact same thing! I found some magnaflow mufflers for like 120ish range. But what i dont really get is how to install. with just a quick glance it seems like you'd have to do alotta work just to get it on. idk though...someone help us! lol **good question.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:41 PM

I had the same question before I purchased the GT-R. After having it on for I guess 2 months, it makes the 3.5 LX9 G6 sound a lot better especially anything below 3500 RPMs. However it does not change the actual acoustics of the engine, by this I mean the engine was not designed to sound like a muscles car (ex. GTO, G8, etc..) so you do get rasp on high RPMs.

If I had to do it again, I would!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Replacing the muffler is really all that is needed for a deeper tone. there are several differant ways to run the pipes into the muffler(s). you can do a 'Y' pipe and use two mufflers.. you can use a muffler with a single inlet and dual outlet and have the inlet go in through the side. and with both you can take the resonator off. yes the GT-R is expensive but its really high quality materials (i do not have the system) but to answer the initial question; yes, just an aftermarket muffler will do the trick.

Exterior-AVS window and sunroof wind reducer, Dual Exhaust, Tinted tails, 35% Tint all around, DDM tuning 8k Highs & Lows.
Interior- Red LED's
Performance- CRAB's Option 3, Exhaust
Coming up: MMI's, Painted Calipers, Painted Side Mirrors
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

any suggestions on which of their models is a better sound?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Youtube is your friend...
But seriously. if you use youtube you yourselve can hear the differant ones and decide.

Exterior-AVS window and sunroof wind reducer, Dual Exhaust, Tinted tails, 35% Tint all around, DDM tuning 8k Highs & Lows.
Interior- Red LED's
Performance- CRAB's Option 3, Exhaust
Coming up: MMI's, Painted Calipers, Painted Side Mirrors
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 06:33 PM
-Banned-

U can get a Magnaflow catback for like $513, or an OBX catback for like 350.. Just save up for a proper exhaust setup.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Varsity Squad

Garage
By just replacing the stock muffler to a High Flow aftermarket muffler you will get more noise and typically better mpgs. You could piece it together with clamps and adapters, but you should take it to an exhaust shop and have them bend pipes and weld the muffler(s) in for you. I also recommend looking on youtube for your desired look/sound.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys, the only problem with youtube is it usually doesnt tell me which magnaflow they have just the brand and most are the catback system not just muffler. But from what Ive heard I will probably just wait and get the system.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 AM
-Banned-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MancosMan View Post
thanks for the help guys, the only problem with youtube is it usually doesnt tell me which magnaflow they have just the brand and most are the catback system not just muffler. But from what Ive heard I will probably just wait and get the system.
Probably your best bet. If you really wanna catback, but don't wanna shell out mass money.. I see OBX catbacks on ebay for 250, like I said - I dunno how it'd perform.. Probably be a bit raspy at higher RPMS, but I'm pretty sure any catback for a G6 will do suchhhhh!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-C...Q5fAccessories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in