Top Speed? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Cool Top Speed?

I assume I'm posting this in the right forum. I was "cruising" I-40 at 115mph in my 2006 G6 GT 4dr with a Jetta and Mercury something tryin to follow me. A few days later on the same stretch I decided to drive in manual mode. I held 3rd to roughly 110 I think. I shifted into 4th and pushed it to 120+. I've heard that in manual mode the tuning becomes more sporty and was wondering if it raised the top speed by chance. My speedo goes to 140 and I would love to top it out if possible. I just need to know if manual mode makes a difference on top speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
i really dont think it wil raise the speed limiter. the only way to get rid of that is to get a tune.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM

i have the 3.5 L base sedan 07 v6 and when racing a mazda rx8 with a full car on a four lane high way we had a rolling start at 40 and i actually maxed out about 133 and a half before it felt like the gov kicked in.

btw im sure you all would love to know the driver missed fourth in the mazda, we both had full cars on our way back from kennywood in pittsburgh and i destroyed him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Talking

Speaking of speed and manual mode - I was driving on the interstate and had my car in 4th the whole time. When I was trying to pass someone, I noticed my 6 was not accelarating as fast as usual. So the next car I passed I thought to just put the car in regular automatic mode and sure enough, the car accelarated about 10X faster than in manual mode and both times they are in 4th gear and I had the pedal to the floor...my question is WHY? Shouldn't manual mode be faster since it is "sportier" according to the 6 manual?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM

because you were in 4th, when in auto and you accelarate it down shifts to 3rd for you, So what you shouldve done is down shift manually to 3rd and accelerate.

...if you were doing under 75 you could downshift to 2nd and punch it.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Last edited by waterfowler76; 05-11-2011 at 03:50 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post
because you were in 4th, when in auto and you accelarate it down shifts to 3rd for you, So what you shouldve done is down shift manually to 3rd and accelerate.

...if you were doing under 75 you could downshift to 2nd and punch it.
I guess I never looked at my intrument panel AS I was passing but I assumed the car would downshift for me since the car (in manual mode) is still supposed to downshift when it feels it needs to. The car's manual says that the driver is supposed to upshift and the card does all the downshifting so there should not be a need to downshift in every day driving.

And don't worry waterfowler, my g6 can probably handle going 75 while I downshift to 1st...then I will really punch it lol
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 04:43 PM

it will downshift for you if your slowing down or if your going slow, but at highway speeds you have to do the downshifting.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Powertrain Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in