Why Do We Have V Rated Tires? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Why Do We Have V Rated Tires?

I am sure this has been a topic up for debate before. But I have been going through the forums and posts for the past few days and cannot seem to find one. Sorry, if I am missing it, if it has been posted.

But my question is this to longer term G6 GT owners than myself. It is time for new tires and I've owned well over a half century of cars in my lifetime and have never owned a 200hp car that required V-rated tires before.

Does anyone know why they are on our cars when I highly doubt this car is going to be able to do 149mph for a 10 minute consistant basis even with some tuning and low end mods.

I'm not cheap when it comes to taking care of my cars. But it does seem to be a waste of money to place a V-rated tire on a car that would really only require an H-rated tire.

Anyone here running H-rated tires instead of V-rated tires? If so, any pos or neg you would like to let me know about?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
No one really focuses on the speed rating of the tire because that's just a side effect of looking for a performance tire that will handle and grip the road. I guarantee that H-rated tire would have poor racing potential.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 PM

I sell tires as part of my business. While it's called a speed rating, I tend to refer to it as a PERFORMANCE rating. The recommended performance rating is on the car and manual, and it's generally not recommended to use anything below the factory rating. Many tire stores won't do it due to liability reasons. The thought is that the suspension was engineered with a particular rating tire in mind. Can you do it? Sure you can, the downside is the car may not handle as designed. Have I done it, yes, results, some passable, some crap.
While the speed is one part of it, the meat of it is the performance characteristics of the tire. Characteristics such as sidewall stiffness, durability, tread deformation, and more are all part of the equation. The only real variable that the public may understand of all this is speed rating. Construction of the tire leads to the speed rating. Speed rating is just misleading, and just comes across as marketing.
Tire Rack has an awesome article on speed rating you should check it out.

davez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you VERY MUCH for the informative lesson on the ups and downs on the misleading 'speed rating' of a tire. Looks like I will be sticking with the 'v-rating' tires or better depending on the handling / wear of the tires.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 AM

i went with my tire b/c of the performance and oh.....they look GOOD...lol

Had a 07 GTP coupe, traded in for my GTI....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Da.v3

All that info is great, thanks!

I didnt even know all that..but the way I looked at it was id much rather have a higher rated than lower and risk anything. I would NEVER put any expensive tires on my 6...but i also sure as heck wouldnt cheap out on some low grade low rated tire either

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Performance: Full CRABs | RacingLine street MMIs + STB

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Define expensive because I have $200 Michelin HX MXM4's on my G6 right now.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 PM

Doesn't the G6's with 17" rims have a S-rated tire? I know mine does. I have an 07 g6

Appearance: 8000K HID's
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 AM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
i don't know maybe the v-rated tires come with the gt and above models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in