Tires? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Tires?

i have an 08 g6 sedan with the stock 17in alloys. Right now there are 225/50/17 on it.
i found a set of brand new tires for $150 (buying from brother-in-law), but they are 225/45/17.

I know they will work on the car, so my question is, am i going to be able to tell much of a difference in road noise, whether or not its a rougher ride, ect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 AM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts08g6 View Post
i have an 08 g6 sedan with the stock 17in alloys. Right now there are 225/50/17 on it.
i found a set of brand new tires for $150 (buying from brother-in-law), but they are 225/45/17.

I know they will work on the car, so my question is, am i going to be able to tell much of a difference in road noise, whether or not its a rougher ride, ect?
i dont see why there would be any road noise, besides regular hum of a tire. i really dont think there is goin to be that much of difference in ride quality either with it only bein 5mm difference...

the only thing you might notice difference is the gap between your sidewall of the tire and fender is goin to be more open then it already was
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopeTHEg6 View Post
i dont see why there would be any road noise, besides regular hum of a tire. i really dont think there is goin to be that much of difference in ride quality either with it only bein 5mm difference...

the only thing you might notice difference is the gap between your sidewall of the tire and fender is goin to be more open then it already was
actually, correct me if im wrong, but i think it'll be a 11.25mm difference as the 50 or 45 represents the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the tread width. ex. 225 x.45 = 101.25 and 225 x .50 = 112.50. so depending on which you go with, you'll see more sidewall inbetween the tread and rim. not sure on what the exact measurement difference will be between tire and fender with the change.

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
i understand what your saying but im just talkin about the numbers 45/50. 5 being the difference, i dont think it would affect ride quality that much or any at all
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I know the side wall would be different, I just wasn't 100% on if that difference would pose any effect on the performance of the car.

I'm in a binde because I have to take an 8hr trip to Wisconsin but my tires are crap, and I have to replace the brakes and rotors. (and no I'm not hard on cars I bought the car in June and just haven't had the money to replace it yet) so if I buy these I can replace everything at once instead of paying 500+ for just tires.

Jocelyn

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts08g6 View Post
Thanks guys, I know the side wall would be different, I just wasn't 100% on if that difference would pose any effect on the performance of the car.

I'm in a binde because I have to take an 8hr trip to Wisconsin but my tires are crap, and I have to replace the brakes and rotors. (and no I'm not hard on cars I bought the car in June and just haven't had the money to replace it yet) so if I buy these I can replace everything at once instead of paying 500+ for just tires.

Jocelyn
its a good deal, id take them!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
i understand what your saying but im just talkin about the numbers 45/50. 5 being the difference, i dont think it would affect ride quality that much or any at all
The difference between 50 and 45 may be 5, but thats 5%, not 5mm.

you probably wont notice much of a difference in ride quality or noise, however, because of the reduced diameter of the tires, your engine is going to be working harder to and spinning faster to keep you at speed as opposed to the 225/50r17 tires. It ultimately adds up to a lose of fuel economy, performance and extra wear on your drivetrain.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
i dont think it would affect ride quality that much or any at all

i agree...won't change much of the ride. your speedo will be off though since the tires going to be about an inch less in diameter

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverttheclown View Post
i agree...won't change much of the ride. your speedo will be off though since the tires going to be about an inch less in diameter
I kinda figured that, and was guessing on less mpg.
About how much of a difference will this make? Just enough to be noticable? Or it will be doing more harm then good?

I'm still looking to buy stock size but they will have to wait till after the trip.

Jocelyn

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmanj View Post
The difference between 50 and 45 may be 5, but thats 5%, not 5mm..
oh ok i didnt realize that thanks
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

So after doing some research I found a thread on g6p about the same question and found this

" i would advise against the 225/45 because now you are makeing more revolutions per mile so when you might only drive 1 actual mile your car will think you went like mabey 1.1 mile for example, you will rack up the miles a lot quicker for the same distance with the smaller tires..................not really a good thing..... "

Now to me that doesn't sound right, but I could be wrong. Can anyone back this statement or refute it?

Jocelyn

The "Upgrades"

The To-Do List
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:24 PM

that statement is 100% correct
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmanj View Post
that statement is 100% correct
Thank you.

The "Upgrades"

The To-Do List
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Well, after reading all ur comments and doing a little research I've decided not to get them as it seems it will do more harm than good. With that being said I've come down to these two tires:
Yokohama Avid Envigor
&
Goodyear Eagle GT ( we've had these on our grand prix and liked them but read a lot of bad reviews)

Opinions on these?

Jocelyn

The "Upgrades"

The To-Do List
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM

Garage
i have goodyear eagles on mine...started off with more road noise than the falkens i had on, didn't really bother me though. no complaints about grip or treadwear.

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in