Cutting stock springs.. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Legend

Garage
Cutting stock springs..

So what I'm probably going to do is cut my stock springs with my brother to lower my car until I purchase the eibach kit. Have a couple buddies who have done it and my brother who has done it to various vehicles. From what I understand it should be ok as long as I don't heat the spring up so it keeps its temperment. Just wanting peoples input and thoughts on this bc I'm curious as to what people will say bc I have personally never done it.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 PM

Good luck

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Legend

Garage
I'm hoping it will go off with out to much trouble but we will see lol

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Garage
i still have them lowering springs and struts for sale! lol

2008 G6 Gt 3.5L Aftermarket Hood With Scoops,Tinted Tail Lights, K&N Clamp On Filter, Tinted Windows, GXP 18" Wheels
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Legend

Garage
Lol I would get them but I don't need the struts bc I bought and installed new ones already and 200 is to much lol

J DOG

MODS

Progression
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Garage
200 is not to much the springs are like new! springs on e-bay new are 200-250 and new struts at autozone are around 100 a piece thats not counting the strut mount or spring compressor to install the springs

2008 G6 Gt 3.5L Aftermarket Hood With Scoops,Tinted Tail Lights, K&N Clamp On Filter, Tinted Windows, GXP 18" Wheels
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Legend

Garage
I know. I already bought and installed new struts. Therefore they would be a waste of money for me. Plus I'm buying a set of lowering springs for 130 plus shipping. So that's a big difference lol thanks though for offering them

J DOG

MODS

Progression
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Where did u order them and what's the drop?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Legend

Garage
im buying them from someone. canuck springs. supposed to be about a 1.75" drop

J DOG

MODS

Progression
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:30 PM

J...are those spring all around or no?

johndeere9203..whats the specs on the springs and struts u got?

I still haven't figured out what I want to do to my 6 yet. Still entertaining ideas...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Cut springs will make the ride quite a bit more bouncy then getting lowering springs. You'll pretty much loose the progressiveness and the spring rate will get all messed up. Also I'm not sure how you would go about doing the rears because they have a little pigtail on each end of the spring.

See how the ends have a much smaller coil? I'm not sure how it would sit after you cut it off, If it would even sit straight. But I don't know much about cutting springs, My buddy does and said that wouldn't be much of an issue. He didn't elaborate.

But doing it as a temporary thing until you get your canucks may not be a bad idea, If you do it let us know how it works out! I'm definitely interested
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 AM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
its also unsafe... the stock spring was rated to hold the weight of this heavy pig your driving with all the coils intake... You cut away any of the coils, your taking away that much support... i would just wait for the eibach kit.. there is a kit for sale on g6performance.com
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Legend

Garage
It was just something I wanted to try for a little bit. I didnt do the back. Just the front. And only 1 coil. I'm not gonna do anymore. I'm buying a set of canucks from someone over on G6P so hopefully soon ill be able to get those. In a couple weeks or so. Jw though how much are the eibachs going for do you know?

J DOG

MODS

Progression
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM
beeeeeeefy

Garage
230-250 for a set
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Legend

Garage
That's how much there being sold over on G6P?? I know on most sites new that's how much they are.

J DOG

MODS

Progression
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in