Plasti-Dip GXP Rims - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Plasti-Dip GXP Rims

I am contemplating plasti dipping my stock gxp rims. I think my rims would look better black and do not know what is easy and looks good on this type of rim material. I googled it and found some RAM drivers doing it for their chrome clad wheels and they ended up looking decent. Any suggestions other than plasti dip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 PM

If you are unsure, do plastidip. That way if you don't like it, you can just peel it off.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 PM

Im a huge fan of plastidip and have used in on many things, window trim, grill surrounds, etc and it works great. ill probably do my rims with it eventually too. just google plastidip rims and youll find many pictures and people that have done it already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 AM

I know, but I planned on this being just a test to see how well it goes. I'll wait to see how well this holds up and then I'm gonna redo it without the gloss. I used 4 cans of black and three cans of gloss, about $44 from dipyourcar.com. I hoped the gloss would make them really shiny, but it's kinda cloudy in direct sunlight, so I'll redo them later.

Doing this to wheels with a lot of spokes isn't easy. It's harder to cover all the small areas on the sides of the spokes, so you kinda just end up spraying over everything without focusing on one area. This leads to the spray sticking to itself in the corners and creating strings of plastidip, sort of like cobwebs in your house. The spray doesn't dry as smoothly on the sides of the spokes, so they end up more textured than the front face of each spoke. And since the dip shrinks as it dries, it doesn't lay well on top of wheel weights.

Overall, it looks good. If you get real close you can see the imperfections. But it's cheap, requires little to no prep work, and it isn't permanent. I like it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Legend

Garage
do it

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Go for it, I've seen some that look good and like they said peel it off if you don't like, I didn't want black so I did mine in rust oleum wheel paint dk gray and they turned out well.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1341854598.402314.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	3269

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Garage
Here's mine on a 2008 g6 v6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1341856285.473513.jpg
Views:	1354
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	3270  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM

^ looks great

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in