Front end issues. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Front end issues.

Hi guys so ive been noticing some front end issues when driving my car over 60mph lately. It feels like the whole front is shaking and the only way to get it to stop is going less then 60mph. I had my girl drive next to me the other day and she says it looks like the wheels are bouncing when i drive. I have had the right front wheel bearing replaced, Left front ball joint and the intermediate shaft replaced all with in the last 20k. I would take it to the dealer but warranty is up and id rather get some opinions first. Also when i had all this stuff replaced the dealer did say that the rest off the shaking would go away when i got my tires replaced since they were pretty bad but these tires i have on now have less then 3k on them and its still happening. Any ideas on the issue? and how i can fix it? ( im pretty good with fixing cars just not diagnosing them)

Thanks in advance
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 01:17 PM

If im not mistaken i think that is called "wheel hop". Maybe your springs need to be replaced? Its a good excuse to lower your car lol.

Current Mods:
07 G6 GT White, 84K, 35% Tint, 8k HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Tails, DRL Delete, DexCool Delete (is that a mod?) Eibach Springs, EBC Brakes, Orange Calipers, De-Badged, Front Tower Strut Bar, Painted Engine/Battery Covers, CRABS Opt# 3, "Tiger CRAB Ram Air", Custom Catback stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25" tubing with purforated rez and free flow muffler.

Coming Soon:
18" rollers, LED red interior lighting, LED tails, Complete Audio System Renovation as I have blown it up, Sedan HH spoiler, Custom Seatcovers, dash cover and floor mats with the G6 Embroidery, Painted body color mirrors, wiper arms, both front grills, side skirts and rear facia all body color painted.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:42 PM

I am having this same issue. Also when I brake The whole steering wheel shakes like i'm driving on gravel. this is clearly visible when driving at highway speed. I have a 06 V6 sedan. A thought occurred to me that perhaps my alloy rim may be bent as I recall hitting a curb once. I just want to get some ideas before I take it to the mechanics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Bump..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Shaking while braking. Especially through the steering wheel can be caused by warped brake rotors. Simply replace em with some new ones on your next brake job.

Checking the rim for to see if it's straight is a good idea. You can Jack and support your car properly and spin the wheels a bit and just watch, having a friend help is always a good idea.

If the wheel looks like it's bouncing up and down while driving then you may have other problems, you mentioned the tires are newer, what kind of tires are they, how many miles are on the car? Maybe the wheels are horribly unbalanced.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
its a very common problem for our cars to have warped stock rotors. like cruisin said change them out and that will take care of the shaking when braking problem.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 02:23 PM

It's also wise to rotate the tires. If the problem goes away then it could be something as simple as a poor tire balancing or in an extreme case, the tire compound isn't correct throughout the structure causing its own imbalance.

I always try to look at the easier things first. If the G6 was rwd, I'd vote for an out of round driveshaft. Worst case is a CV might be kaput. If you rotate the tires, and get an alignment done (not at a cheap place!) the tech will tell you that the alignment couldn't be properly set due to (insert part here) failing.

When my G6 had about 10K miles on it the steering went from perfect, to sloppy with about 1" of excessive play. After a few days in the shop the tech's couldn't diagnose the problem to one particular part, so everything was replaced, rack, intermediate steering shaft, and the electric motor assembly. Not a problem since.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in