Didn't lube break pad clips? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Didn't lube break pad clips?

Hey I just replaced my break pads yesterday with some nice ceramic break pads, and they came with some kind of lube. At the time I didn't know where to put the lube as no further instructions were provided.

I now know its meant to be applied to the new break clips that came with the break pads.

Ive been driving with the new breaks and all Ive noticed that's different is that I have to de-press the break peddle further to slow down, and the breaks aren't as "grabby" as they used to feel, if anything. No squeaking or odd behavior also.

My question is should I go back and lube the new break pad clips? I don't really want to have to take ALL the wheels off, disassemble each break system, and lube each clip one by one... Can I just spray some silicone lube or something-of-the-like on the pad clips without having to take everything apart and manually apply the lube packet that came with the pads? Do I even have to apply lube now if the car seems fine after the pad install? Or should I defiantly apply the lube and avoid damage to my break system? Don't know if this matters but the rear break pads didn't come with replacement clips so I'm still using the old clips on the new rear pads

Also I bled the break on one of the rear wheels to de-press the break piston (it wasn't retracting with the C clamp so I bled the fluid; I found out later that the rear breaks on the 2006 G6 GTP are like a screw and screw in/out, and that was why it wasn't going back in lol) Do I need to add more fluid now? Should I go ahead and replace all my break fluid with fresh fluid, or am I ok? How would I even go about doing that anyway lol

Thanks for your help in advance!
-Chris

Last edited by blueangel42; 11-18-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 02:51 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

If you did all 4 brakes and they have all new pads, then I would just make sure your brake fluid is topped off. But not ALL the way to the top. Just make sure it's full.

I assume you got the rear pistons back in? You can buy a cube brake tool made for the job:

The grease they offer is often used to lubricate the slide pins for the caliper, as well as put a dab on the back of the pad to prevent squealing. What kind of pads did you get anyways, I run the Duralast C-Max from autozone.

You can go ahead and add grease to the hardware clips, but it isn't that important, they just may get a little rusty over time, and you may have to replace them with your next brake job, It's been my experience that they'll still last a long time even without grease, You can always remove the surface rust with a steel brush at that point.

Seeing as you have ceramic pads I don't think you'll have much trouble with noises or anything.

The brakes may not feel so good right now, but keep in mind the linings are still brand new, you have to give them time to break in. After a few hundred miles of stopping and going the pads should seat nicely against the rotors and the pedal will gradually get stiffer and the brakes will feel more firm and "grabby"

I know when I did my brakes they felt pretty soft for a week or two, but now my brakes feel better then ever!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Yea I just used a wrench to screw the piston back in and it worked out fine. I got Wearever Gold Brake Pads for my front pads and Wagner ThermoQuiet® ceramic pads for the rear from Advanced Auto Parts. How do you like your Auto Zone ceramic pads? I actually wanted to get the 2ed tier ceramic pads from Auto Zone (the ceramic ones without the noise canceling technology that costs an extra $20) at first but the closest store to where I was going to change the pads was advanced auto so I just went there and asked to be hooked up with some ceramic pads.

Are there any lube/sprays I should NOT use on the break clips? I'm at work now (work at an airport) and I know we have some heavy duty silicone spray in our tool room.. Or maybe I can find something different that lists "break lubricant" for its uses or something.

On a final note, I also noticed a bunch of caked on rust or break dust or whatever it is all around my break rotors. They are not drilled rotors (like drill pressed with holes going through them) but it looks like my front rotors have vent-like holes all around it, I'm guessing to help with the heat build-up. You think I could just take my rotors off and let them take a bath in CLR or something to remove all the build up inside and around the rotor? The sides of the rotor are clean and shiny but with all this what looks like break pad dust build-up caked all around the rotor and inside the vents I have a feeling removing all of it will help them stay cooler and increase breaking performance/rotor life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I love my pads, They come with the new hardware clips so I can always replace them. And with the rubber on the back, I don't have to mess around with messy greasy crap trying to make em quiet. Literally just slap em on and go.

As far as what lube/sprays you shouldn't use it's hard to say, Silicone is good stuff but it doesn't last very long and can wash off easily. If anything I would recommend some spray white lithium grease. It'll stay on there and keep it lubricated, but I would make absolutely sure not to get any on the rotor surface itself.

The front rotors are vented for better cooling. You can try to clean em up, maybe spray it down with brake parts cleaner, but it really won't make any big differences in performance/cooling. Most people just go and paint the hat (the center of the rotor) so that it looks nicer behind the wheels.

Of course it doesn't hurt to clean em up and get em looking better, I'm sure even a little increased air flow in the vents will help some. Chances are it's mostly rust on there, rotors have a tendency to get pretty eaten up by rust, but it usually isn't bad enough until you can feel vibrations through the brake pedal at higher speeds.

Since the front brakes do like 70-80% if the total braking for the car, those rotors are larger and are vented to help aid heat dissipation and keep your brakes working better.
Since you have ceramics you don't need to worry too much. Unless you race your car and are very hard on your brakes consistently, but I doubt that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in