Tire specs? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Tire specs?

I just got new tires and brakes put on my 2007 G6 base a few days ago and now I'm worried I got the wrong tires. I trusted my dad to get my car taken care of and I wasn't there to handle the transaction. They put on Kenda Kenetica 225/50R17's which I've never heard of before and so far they are ok but my gas milage is going down. Is this tire compatable for a pontiac G6? And I'm unable to find out any specs on them either. Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 PM

I think I read somewhere that they are made by Cooper?? Whoever makes them....I can imagine it being a lesser-brand tire, which usually = not good tires. Good quality and bad quality tires can be life or death to your car's performance. I bought my 2009 G6 with Michelin Defender tires on it....I bought the car 2-years-used. The tires wore poorly even though I had the alignment checked twice....and I drove pretty respectfully. I got a new set of 4 Falken Azenis PT722's, which a friend recommended, and they wear perfectly....and the car is quieter....and handling litterally came alive times 2! Your tire size seems to be correct, just be sure the tires are mounted in the right direction if they are directional tires, and check your air pressure. I can't imagine anything else that could make the mileage slump?

Edit - oh....here is their web site - http://www.kendausa.com/

Last edited by 09usnyg6i4; 03-08-2013 at 08:30 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 AM

The fact that the tire is on the car makes it compatible.

Also I wouldn't call Kenda a "lesser-brand tire," they make some of the best mountain bike tires on the market. While I haven't used them for automotive applications I have used their bike tires and they are just as good as anything else out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 12:20 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Re: Tire specs?

That's where I knew Kenda from! Bike tires!
They are technically made by Cooper Tires according to various sites.
To me they seem like the generic priced tire cooper sells to fill out the market. As for specs I'm not sure of any specifics.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 PM

They are definitely not a top tier brand. Just because they are "made" by Cooper does not make them Cooper tires. Just as much as a Chevy Cruz isn't a Cadillac ATS. They utilize very different tire technologies, and the coopers will get the best features available. Michelins get the best/newest technologies, while BFGoodrich gets 2nd best, and Uniroyal gets 3rd best.

I find it very interesting that 09usnyg6i4 found a Falkien tire to perform better then the Michelin Defender. Granted, you are comparing Michelin's entry level (term used loosely as its the best on the road) touring tire to Falkien's ultra high performance tire.

2009 Performance Red Metallic Base Sedan 2.4L

Ebony Leather, Sunroof, and 6-Disk
17" Konig Zero-In Wheels / Michelins
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 AM

On my old car I replaced my Michelin Pilots with the much cheaper Falken Ziex. The Falkens were noticeably better than the Michelins. I was very impressed and surprised.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 PM

Any tire is better than the OEM Continentals! I have a set of General UHP tires. For the price to performance ratio they perform as advertised, and I would consider buying them again.

As mentioned, air pressure is key to mileage, braking, and handling performance. Some tires recommend inflation pressure in the 40psi range. GM OEM pressure is 32 I believe for the tires that came on my G6. The OEM Conti's were OK, but came alive when at 38psi (rated at 44). However, they became hard and sloppy as the tread started to wear off when driving on any roads that were not completely dry.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in