Getting New Rims, 1" wider. Will the extra width be outside, inside, centered? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Getting New Rims, 1" wider. Will the extra width be outside, inside, centered?

I've done some searching, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm about to replace the stock rims with Enkei's (Link), but before I spend that much money, I wanna be absolutely sure they'll work. I've got stock 18x7 wheels with decent 225 50R18 tires, so I plan on moving those tires to the new rims.

Here's where I get nervous: The offset on the Enkei's is +40mm and the backspacing is 6.02". So, how does that compare to the stock rims? Since the Enkei's are wider, will the extra inch be on the inside of the car, the outside, or centered? Will the extra width make the tires more prone to leak? Any chance they'll rub anywhere? I'm trying not to affect the stock performance too much. Will this be a noticable change? Please tell me if I'm about to do something stupid! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 PM

I have 8.5" wide 18" rims and they fit but they are close in the front and they don't rub. I contacted discount tire direct and they said that for mine, which are wider than the ones that you might buy, the offset needs to be less than the stock which i believe is 42mm but dont quote me on that. I think you should be fine on those.

Last edited by gumman1158; 05-10-2013 at 03:46 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Good to hear 8.5" rims fit, makes me feel better. Also, I forgot to ask in the opening post - what can I do with the old rims? One is bent pretty bad, but the other 3 just have minor bends. Like less than 5 millimeters. Do I have to sell 'em all to a recycling center, or could I get a better deal listing them on Craigslist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM

I kept mine for winter months, but i would think craigslist would be better than a recycling center since people would actually want them for a car. A recycling center would be a last ditch effort if you really wanted to make some money.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 PM

Those wheels will definitely fit. Lot's of people run them on their 6.

You can use this if you ever need to compare inner and outer positions of 2 different wheels. You just need to know the wheel offset and width.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Dmanj, that is fantastic! Now I'm off to find the factory wheel specs... Thanks!

Edit - For people following this thread in the future, here's what I've learned:

For a 2007 G6 GT with stock 18x7 rims, the bolt pattern is 5x110, and the offset is 41mm.
The rims I'm looking at are 18x8 with a 40mm offset. According to the calculator on 1010Tires, the new wheels will extend 12mm inward, and 14mm outward. This is exactly what I was hoping for: The extra width is just about centered, so the angular load on the bearings & such should be about the same as factory spec. Perfect!

Note to self: Insert witty phrase about my '07 G6 GT Convertible here, if I ever think of one.

Last edited by Indiana Zones; 05-10-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in