Autozone Base vs GT Pads (Front) - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Autozone Base vs GT Pads (Front)

So for the hell of it, I decided to warranty my pads all around.
I run Autozone C-max and I've been really happy with them.
There's one thing I've noticed.
The C-Max pads for the base are a different part number than the GT or GXP.

>The one on the right is the Base pad, the one on the left is the GT/GXP pad. Both fit perfectly fine, but the base pad has a smaller surface area until it wears and the pad material itself has a slightly different/smaller shape as well.
The pad on the left has more material and surface area.
The base pad also does not have the wear indicator tab that scratches on the rotor, the higher trim does.

>The base pad (right) clearly has less braking material on there compared to the GT/GXP (left). I don't get this either, the GT/GXP pads fit perfectly fine on the rotors behind my base calipers (still OEM)

Autozone sprays their stuff silver/chrome now, weird.

I just thought I'd share this little find, I don't know how it is with other parts stores, but at autozone for an 09 base G6 I4 or V6 it's the part number with the crappier pad, and all GT/GXP trims have the nicer pads with a wear indicator and more material.

(This is all for the Front brakes, the rear brakes part number is the same over all trims)

Last edited by CruisinG6; 08-12-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 AM

interesting.... i'd like to know though for my 2008 3.5L what would be the cheapest and best brake upgrade for front and rear including rotors and pads. and where can i find them?

edit: i heard that autozone is pretty good

2008 Black Pontiac G6 4Dr 3.5L
Mods:
Interior Underdash Red LEDs, Chrome 3.5in Muffler Tip, Red Painted Battery and Engine Covers, 17" Touren Wheels , 55W 6000k HIDs, Racingline Strut Tower Bar, CCFL Eagle Eyes, Magnaflow Catback, AIT Racing Bodykit, exhaust resonator removed, plastidipped interior, kicker front speakers, JVC rear speakers, pionner radio with METRA turbo2 kit, 1000w Pioneer sub with 1000W alpine amp, 93 WAMS tune, cold air intake, NGK plugs and wires, R1Concepts Rotors + pads.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Personally I went with R1 Concepts rotors. The e-line series, cheaper with no slotting or cross dilling. Those mated with the duralast Cmax pads with liftetime warranty front and rear. And I couldn't be happier, the rotors aren't even close to warping and I've been pretty hard on my brakes sometimes. IMO that's a good brake setup without spending the money in a bigger brake kit.

Some people buy different pads online, I went with the cmax just so its much easier for me to replace em down the road, no ordering or shipping, just go and swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Im running the same set up, and have been for over 70,000 miles and still happy.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 03:21 PM

any links to where i can buy directly? :P

2008 Black Pontiac G6 4Dr 3.5L
Mods:
Interior Underdash Red LEDs, Chrome 3.5in Muffler Tip, Red Painted Battery and Engine Covers, 17" Touren Wheels , 55W 6000k HIDs, Racingline Strut Tower Bar, CCFL Eagle Eyes, Magnaflow Catback, AIT Racing Bodykit, exhaust resonator removed, plastidipped interior, kicker front speakers, JVC rear speakers, pionner radio with METRA turbo2 kit, 1000w Pioneer sub with 1000W alpine amp, 93 WAMS tune, cold air intake, NGK plugs and wires, R1Concepts Rotors + pads.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

http://www.r1concepts.com/p-168420-o...nt-rotors.aspx

And the pads I just grabbed in store. Just tell em you got a GT

Last edited by CruisinG6; 12-28-2013 at 11:38 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:50 AM

The Only brake setup i hve found to be efective is running akebono pads all around and going back to gm rotors 75,00 on this setup AKEBONO Part # ACT1028 for the front 43.00 on rockauto.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in