Vibration When Driving - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Vibration When Driving

First thing is I am new here. I have a 2009 G6 GT nothing special its a sedan. I have a vibration when driving along with a wom wom sound. Im believe the wom wom sound would be a wheel bearing, but am not positive. Steering wheel does have a little play. Also, when I jacked up the front end each tire by itself with weight on the front and hold my hands at 12 and 6 there is no movement, but at 9 and 3 there is a decent amount of play and you hear it click when it does that also.
My question other then wheel bearings could I also have problems with cv axle, tie rods and or ball joints?
The car has 111,000 miles and hasn't had problems before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Which way does the wheel wiggle? It could be a tie rod or ball joint. I'd also check the tread on all tires. One of mine has some separation and it causes a noise while going down the road. But since you can feel play in the wheel when its up in the air its likely a joint somewhere. Have you tried pulling the wheel and seeing if anything moves behind it? Like the tie rods or steering knuckle?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Which way does the wheel wiggle? It could be a tie rod or ball joint. I'd also check the tread on all tires. One of mine has some separation and it causes a noise while going down the road. But since you can feel play in the wheel when its up in the air its likely a joint somewhere. Have you tried pulling the wheel and seeing if anything moves behind it? Like the tie rods or steering knuckle?
If I hold it at the 9 and 3 position and wiggle it that way it moves a good distance and makes a click or pop sound.
I have not pulled the wheel and tried to see if anything moves behind it yet, but when i get my friend over here i will try that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Past experience I've had was when a bearing starts too go, it will growl, and believe me you will hear it, unless the windows are up and stereo blasting. That wom wom or could it be a thump thump noise could be out of round tire or out of balance tire ,which will cause a vibration. Try a rebalance and rotation. And torque the lugs at 100 lbs.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POF61glp View Post
Past experience I've had was when a bearing starts too go, it will growl, and believe me you will hear it, unless the windows are up and stereo blasting. That wom wom or could it be a thump thump noise could be out of round tire or out of balance tire ,which will cause a vibration. Try a rebalance and rotation. And torque the lugs at 100 lbs.
tires are balanced and brand new. could warped brake rotors cause a wom wom sound?

Last edited by Rotty84; 09-09-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in